PDA

View Full Version : LET'S EAT THAT FISH !!!

Grizzly Gary
08-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Many of us now have ample supplies of fish in our freezers. It has been a fine year for fishing. NOW LET'S EAT THEM FISH !!

Please share any recipes you have for turning our catch into a fine dining experience. I am also interested in any easy, mass production recipes that I can use at the "Grizzly Gary Game Feast for Disabled Vets" that will be held in March 2007.

Here is a delicious recipe I found somewhere.

Walleye/ Crab Cakes

1 1/2 lb. walleye, chopped

1 small can crab meat with liquid

1/4 cup olive oil

1/4 onion finely chopped

1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped

1/4 cup, Miracle Whip Mayo

1/2 carton, eggbeaters

1/2 cup, seasoned breadcrumbs ( more if needed for consistency)

Pinch of Old Bay Seasoning

Breadcrumbs for rolling

Mix all, roll or form into patties then coat with breadcrumbs. Brown in non stick skillet on top of stove. Once brown place in baking dish then into oven at 350 for 20 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

Hmmmmmm! Making this chubby little tummy HUNGRY!!!

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
08-21-2006, 10:59 PM
My favorite is Golden Dipt Beer Batter mix with 1 can of beer(your choice of brand), and add 4 tbls of Mrs Dash Garlic & Herb. Dip fillets in and coat completely, then drop into hot oil til golden brown-DELICIOUS!!! Next in line, lays fillets on plate or platter, put a pat of butter on each, salt & pepper to taste, add a little sprinkle of Mrs Dash and put into microwave for 3.5 mins per side, 7 mins total. Easy & VERY GOOD!!!! Lastly, lay fillets on foil, sprinkle with seasoning(s), add some butter and wrap up. Put on grill over open wood fire or gas grill and cook about 5-7 mins, checking frequently for doneness. Bon Appetite!!!!!

Drifter
08-22-2006, 07:35 PM
I try to cut down on the breadings and salts.
Mostly wrap tightly in foil with a little butter,lemon slices and spices.
Sometimes throw in some chopped veggies.

The whiter fishes come out real flakely.

Hummm...Just remembered the Fluke and Weakies are still around.
I may need a sick day next week.

Bryan Hoffner
08-23-2006, 05:10 AM
For the simple person at heart there is shore lunch available and they have alot of different tastes. All you need is a box of it and 1/2 can of your favorite sudsy senior soda in a 1 gallon ziploc and some hot greese.(in a pan of course)

Also use a boxed cajun fish batter. Forget the name but at least here it's by the seafood section at Quality Markets.

The home brew is either beer battered, or just rolled in a little flour, then egg and spiced up bread crumbs fried in light greese in a fryin pan.
Or I use a glass baking pan with melted buuter poured over the eyes', perch etc etc
then a light coating ( I mean light) cajun or galic POWDER not salt and then baked to perfection. Remeber that it doesn't take long to bake.

WARNING, the next person I see or hear of using tarter sauce on perch, gills, crappie or walleye will get a thousands lashings with a wet noodle. (Might let you go if it's a hawg eye out of Erie)

Drifter
08-30-2006, 07:11 PM
Baked some Seabass today.
Flour (with Creole) egg, cornflake crumbs.
Too wet for the grill.
The weather also made for a bad day for Fluke.

Drifter
08-30-2006, 09:04 PM
Not having any luck finding a mass production recipe for fish.
The crap cake idea sounds good for stretching a lot of meals out of your supply, but that still involves a lot of prep work.
Hopefully you will have volunteers to help with it.
A chowder would go a long way too. Maybe served with a good bread.

How about a sort of fish fry. Covering the grill with foil, keep it brushed with a light oil. Season and lemon the open fillets just to keep the production going.
(Kinda like doing burgers.)

Anyone know of a good caterer to run this by?

TONY ON ICE
09-01-2006, 03:08 AM
GRIZZ
I've been pretty busy lately taking care of some old and new business so I haven't checked in a much as I'd like.
I'll make this commitment and will keep it as long as my father is still in good shape and he can stay with his sister for a day or two......and, there are no conflicts with any icefishing tournaments that I may be entered in.
After reading this thread, I've decided to come down for the disabled vets Game dinner that you're throwing and be your chef for the event. Now, I don't work cheap but for this event for the great veterans we have, I'll wave my fee(s) and bring the proper fish cooking ingredients. There are a few small requests that you will be required to address and line up. First.........You will hire the "Bait Babe" as my first assistant :wink: . Second, you will keep supplied, "several" bottles of "Jose Cuervo" Gold, two gallons of orange juice (fresh sqeezed), one bottle of Grenadine and a freezer that will hold frosty mugs. Simple requests.. :D

OK, now that we have that cleared up, I'll make some suggestions about obtaining many fish for the game dinner.
I will contact the staff from "Iceteam" and see about the contestants from the Silver Lake Super Trap Attack donating their catches (Perch and bluegills) for your Veterans Game Dinner. I'm almost positive that most of the fishermen/women will gladly donate their fish......especially the out of state fishers who make up most of the entries. Loby does this in his Wisconsin Trap Attack and the fish are donated to a local food pantry. I'll set this up and maybe we can all meet at Silver Lake and set up a fish cleaning station and get the job done right on the spot. You can take the fillets and freeze them as neccesary or just pack the fish in snow/ice and organize a fish cleaning party when you get back.
I'm sure the Eyedoktr will be willing to help this cause as well plus between he and I, we'll make sure enough fish are available for the dinner through donations from people we fish with and from our catches. If we get organized, we could set up an icefishing get together on Coneseus Lake with the Veterans dinner in mind. All fish caught that day will be donated to the cause and believe me, you'll end up with way more fish than you'll want to fillet if we fish Coneseus.
I've got many other ideas but I'm also very tired and I have to meet a buddy at Oneida Lake at 7 AM. He could be fishing solo today :wink:
More info after my brain cell recovers :lol:

TONY ON ICE
09-01-2006, 03:20 AM
BRYAN HOFFNER

I just read your post where tou said people who use tarter sauce on perch, gills, walleyes and crappies should get whipped with a wet noodle. Start giving yourself some lashes buddy :lol: Using garlic, cajun spices, spiced up bread crumbs and eggs on those same fish is a more of a reason to get the lashes.
It's fine if you're dousing bass, carp and other foul or heavy tasting fish but to destroy the delicate flavors of the fish you mentioned with all that gook is a travesty :wink:
Using those ingredients causes your oil to break down and get loaded with bits of burnt coatings that will lead to bad tasting fish when cooking them in mass quantities. The lighter the fish coating, the faster they cook and the better they taste.
Maybe we can have a fish cook off at the game dinner :D

Bryan Hoffner
09-01-2006, 05:06 AM
Tony on Ice,
I have already been whipped, beaten and verbally abused back home here for that post.
I am sorry to you and all who have read that and interpreted the post that way because you are very correct, that is how it was typed by my measely little 2 brain cell mind. (and they won't quit fighting)

Fish of that sort do need a lighter means of cooking for full appreciation of flavor.

Sorry for the ooops.

P.S. I have read somewhere of lead boots for the Grissly one. Hopefully I have apologized enough for my ignorance that you do not need to bring 2 pair when you head this way in the future.

Bryan Hoffner
09-01-2006, 05:11 AM
ooops again, I believe they were cement shoes or boots, not lead as I stated.
Although lead would make him sink faster.

You see they are fighting again. Spent last evening setting up for a shin dig this weekend. ouch, mind brain is hurt.

TONY ON ICE
09-01-2006, 08:17 AM
BRYAN
Seeing that the fine citizens of Warren Pa have already tarred and feather you for that post, I'll refrain from sending the boys down for a boot fitting 8)
I need to contact Grizz and request that he hire me as the resident chef overseeing the preperation, cooking and consumption of any fish or seafood that would be part of any Grizzly Gary website event.
I believe I meet all criteria to uphold that position....especially considering that I've eaten more fish than Moby Dick and cleaned/filleted more than Mrs. Paul, Aurthur Treacher, Long John Silver and Gortons conbined :D

Bryan Hoffner
09-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Now that's a load off my feet.

Sounds like you have caught, filleted, cooked and eaten many fish.
I have enjoyed many meals of fish myself.
But wow, when you have all those big companies beat, which by the way, I care very little for their fish. I am impressed and also come to realize that I had better get fishing more than I do, you just gave me a goal to strive for. Whether I get there or not is another question.

I am looking forward to the diabled vets game dinner to meet a connoisseur(had to look that word up) of cooking fish and seafood because I love to eat them. I've been known to be able to down sizeable quantites of fish. I am also always interested in new ways of preparing the little critters.

TONY_ ON _ICE
09-05-2006, 12:54 AM
GRIZZ
What's the word ? Are ya interested in my services for the Veterans game dinner ? OK.....I'll bring my own Tequila and orange juice but if I have to bring my own assistant, it could get ugly and if I just come down to eat, you're gonna have to drain Kinzua and net every fish to keep from running out.
I don't have all year to get an answer ! It ain't easy being me and there might be a stag party or some other form of entertainment that might be calling my name on the day of the dinner.

By the way....how much will it cost to advertise my Extorsion & Loan Shark.......uh, I mean my florist business on your site ?

BRYAN
I've filleted more fish (mostly perch) than I'd care to remember although it was very lucrative back in the day.
As far as eating fish goes, I've done some very impressive perch fillet eating over the years. If there was a perch eating event like the hot dog eating event on Coney Island, I would win.....period.
Not anything to bragg about but I've consumed 48 perch......that's 96 fillets of Oneida Lake jumbo perch in less than the first two quarters of the Superbowl about 8 years ago and that was while ingesting mass quantities of mexican cactus juice !
I did sleep good for a few days but paid the price after that !

beanes78
09-05-2006, 03:20 PM
i found a good recipe that works for just about everything(just not pike). u take ur favorite 12 oz bottle of hot sauce and pour it into a ziploc bag, throw the fish in it and marinade it for about an hour or so then take it out and bread it however u want and fry it.........its really good

Grizzly Gary
09-06-2006, 12:18 PM
Tony On Ice,

It would be the Honor of the entire Warren County folk to have you visit us and assist us at the Game Feast. My good friend Jason who is Chef at the Eagles Club has also offered his services. You being the Master of the Fillets of Fish would be a beautiful thing!

Also the offer of the fish donation would be welcome as I expect 200 attendees for this feast. Those folks donating fish would be doing a fine service for our Disabled American Veterans.

It would also be my honor to share a Senior Soda Pop with you!

Grizzly Gary

TONY ON ICE
09-07-2006, 02:50 AM
GRIZZ
Now we're getting somewhere ! I'll add the disabled veterans game dinner to my list of "Good Deeds" for 2007
We can negotiate on the miniscule requests at another time (maybe while fishing somewhere this fall or winter)
I'll start spreading the word on the fish donations from the Ice Team fishing tournament at Silver lake and organize a get together on Coneseus Lake this winter for the purpose of gathering fish for the dinner.
Looking forward to helping out and spending some time looking through the bottom of a once frosty mug with the "Grizz" :lol:

Grizzly Gary
09-08-2006, 11:32 AM
T.O.I.,

Thanks for the help! Look forward to fishing and sharing a Senior Soda Pop or two. I greatly look forward to working together at helping our Disabled American Veterans. With the help of fine folks such as yourself I am sure we will provide a fine feast for our guests and raise a nice buck for the DAV.

I will be announcing the exact date in March in the next week or so.

Grizzly Gary