PDA

View Full Version : LET'S TALK HOOKS!

Grizzly Gary
03-04-2007, 10:22 AM
Time to share some tips & tactics with those that visit here. So let's share our knowledge regarding hooks and when to use them for particular species. Let's talk size and favorite brands.

Walleye: When I am fishing eyes with bait on what me and Mike call a traditional rig (Hook & Line) I use anything from a #8 up to a #4. I love wide bend hooks as I experience much better & more hookups with them.

What hooks do you use for eyes, Crappie, Trout and any other species of fish you chase. Do you like the wide bends? Share your opinions.

Grizzly Gary

carl milks
03-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Since I make my own jigs, I prefer Eagle Claw 570's in 1/0 or 2/0 size. EC's have a tendency to straighten and come loose after a snag, where say Mustad hooks seem "brittle" and break when pulling. For rigging- again I prefer EC's over others for same reason, and usually use size 2,4 & 6. I agree that the wide gap styles do hook more & hold better. Obviously above is for 'eyes. For trout, all I use is homemade Panther Martin style spinners, of which I put #6 or 8 Mustad trebles on them. The Mustads are a finer wire hook, doing less damage to the fish's mouth for C&R, and the snagging/breaking of these don't enter in much with a spinner.

Grizzly Gary
03-07-2007, 06:47 PM
For Trout I use a #12 wide bend. Perfect for putting on a meal worm or minnie.

Crappie I use the same. Eagle Claw have been the sharpest and most reliable for me. Bonus that they are made in America!

Grizzly Gary

ratherbhuntin
03-07-2007, 07:21 PM
Eagle Claw have been the sharpest and most reliable for me.
I absolutely hate eagle claw. I used them to make spinners. And i lose so many fish with eagle claws. I know alot of people will say its not the hook it's me but when i use that same exact lure with a mustad i have way more success. ill admit i still buy eagle claw because that is what is always cheapest at wally world but i do not like using them

treerat
03-08-2007, 09:23 AM
On spinners and crank baits I use VMC hooks .Same brand hooks Rapalla uses . Theese are the sharpest trebles out of the pack that I have found .I use size 10 9649 vmc trebles on the spinners .

Old School Dave
03-10-2007, 12:28 AM
On my cranks I change the trebles to Gamagatsu, for crappies I use No2 gold Tru Turn hook.