PDA

View Full Version : Prop or Jet

03-04-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking of buying a boat. Can I fish the river near Tidioute with a prop engine or should I look for a jet? I don't know much about the river up there. I mostly fish in the Parker and East Brady areas.
Thanks

MUZZYMAD

singleshot
03-04-2007, 09:40 PM
A jet is the way to go for the river. It is tough to find a good used jet boat for a reasonable price. If you watch e-bay you can sometimes find used motors but this is the wrong time of year to look for one. I was lucky enough to find a used jet bowl in one auction and a used outboard with a bad lower unit in another. I bolted them together and ended up with a good motor. I don't know what your cash flow or mechanical ability is but if you are on a tight budget this is probably the way to go. Speed is crucial with a jet, make sure you have enough HP to get you on plane. You will lose 30% of your motors HP with a jet installed. Boat selection is also key, a flat bottomed boat will allow air bubbles to get into your intake and cause cavitation. A modified V bottom boat with a 3 to 6 degree deadrise will channel air away from the intake. A mod V will also handle better in sharp turns and ride slightly better.

Mighty Mike
03-05-2007, 11:24 AM
on the river you will want a jet. lots of good spots to fish when you got a jet boat. if i had the bucks that is the way i would go.

mike

Grizzly Gary
03-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I for sure wish I had the money to gat a jet boat. There are some serious hot spots on that river. Some serious low water spots to. I would also advise a jet boat if you can afford it. You can launch at the tailwaters if you get tired of the Tidioute end.

When you get that new Jet Boat? Don't forget that Grizzly lives only 25 minutes from Tidioute!! LOL!

Grizzly Gary