PDA

View Full Version : Replacing tips on fishing rods

03-08-2007, 01:15 AM
Ok, now that i have about 6 out of the +20 rods i have without or broken tips,what is the procedure for getting the old ones off and what do you use for glueing them back on? Epoxy? 2- i slammed in the truck door of course{had a hard case to put them in laying right there} but the others just have the porcelin center gone.I only have one rod that has a bad eyelet on the rod.The rest are the tips.I know i can buy the tips in alot of places.Just not sure what everyone else does! Thanks.. :roll:

John Lorenzo
03-08-2007, 07:58 AM
Myself I like to use the same glue archers use to put nocks on arrows. All you need are a pair of pliers, a lighter, new tips and glue. Heat up the old tip with a lighter and the glue will loosen up , then pull it off with the pliers (it will be too hot to do by hand), find the right size tip to put back on (sometimes you can shave the end or the rod tip so the new tip will slide on nice and tight) , make sure it's not too sloppy of a fit, then heat up the glue and put a dab on the rod tip, slide the new tip on and straighten it out before the glue sets and you're done, very easy and fast. As far as replacing an eye, how easy that is done will depend on if you want it to look good or if you just want a new eye on there and don't really care what it looks like. Myself I just find and eye on one of my broken rods that closely matches the broken one, then I cut the thread holding the broken eye and peel it off , clean up the spot where the eye was and put the new eye on the rod, I generally put a dab of super glue on to hold it in place, then I will wrap it with thread or some braided fishing line of some sort, after you get it wrapped I tie a little knot in it then put another dab of super glue on the thread to hold it in place, then I mix up some epoxy and throughly coat the threads holding the eye in place, usually three coats should do it. This may not be the prettiest but when I'm fishing I don't really care as long as it works. John

FishingMarshall
03-08-2007, 09:10 AM
I've bought rod tip replacement kits that come with tips and glue. They worked pretty good for me.

eyedoktr
03-08-2007, 12:22 PM
Just go buy a new rod. Simple and quick. :D

mulerider
03-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I have taken rods to Pages in Warren (across from refinery) and had them replaced. quick and easy and didn't have to mess around finding the correct size or buying a tube of glue that you use a little squirt and then it dries up in the tube by the time you need it again.

Old School Dave
03-08-2007, 04:47 PM
I was going to suggest Gander Mountain, when I worked there I re-placed hundreds of rod tips. We had a whole plano box of all the different inside diameters and all I had to do is match the tip to the rod put on a bit of easy melt nock glue and you were out the door for the price of the tip which was about $.79-$.99. Every GM store does it.

03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Wow! Thanks for all the suggestions.I've done business with Pages and my son lives near Gander Mt. in Erie.No, i don't need another rod but then again....????.Anyway,guess i got the idea.Always can depend on my "brothers and sisters" To help out! Thanks!!! :D

03-09-2007, 12:35 AM
By the way,speaking of fishing rods and repairs,I have my grandfather's old bamboo,10'-2" fly rod from the 20's or 30's that was given to me.My youngest son{26 years old} and i both fly fish and he's really into it.He ties all the stuff we use.I only tie steelhead stuff but anyway,do any of you know who could possibly re-build this old rod?It seems quite sturdy and there's only 1 or 2 eyes missing but i'd like to sometime have all new eyes put on it and checked over by someone who really knows and appreciates old bamboo fly rods.I want to pass this down to him in the future.Ideas?? :?: