PDA

View Full Version : Stink hole

agertool
03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
Today on Gary's show they mentioned fishing at the stink hole in Presque Isle bay. They wondered how it got it's name. I called in and said that I heard that years ago when the steurgon fishing industry was in full swing many years ago they would dump the carcasses left from the fish in that area thus giving it it's name. Now not being one that wants to be known as someone that talks out of their, well, both ends... can any verify this name?

Bill

marshrabbit
03-11-2007, 11:45 AM
Bill

that is the same explanation i have been given several times from my Father and Grand Father.

Mike

Grizzly Gary
03-11-2007, 12:42 PM
Thanks agertool & marshrabbit for the info & confirmation. Charlie and I had several humorous discussions as to how that spot had gotten its name. None of which can be printed here. We were both glad to learn this little historical tidbit about Presques Isle.

Can anyone tell me how Misery Bay, which is also at Presque Isle, got its name?

Grizzly Gary

agertool
03-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Ok, this may be long winded but this is what I found:
Misery Bay:
During the War of 1812, Little Bay was the temporary home of the fleet of ships commanded by Commodore Oliver Hazard Perry. Six of his eleven vessels were built in Erie at the mouth of Cascade Creek. The shores and waters of Presque Isle protected the fleet during construction.
On September 10, 1813, in the Battle of Lake Erie, Commodore Perry and his men defeated the British at Put-in-Bay (near Sandusky, Ohio). Perry's first flagship, the Lawrence, was heavily damaged during the battle, requiring him to transfer his flag to the brig Niagara. He then re-engaged and defeated the British fleet using the Niagara as his flagship.
After the battle, Perry and his men returned to Little Bay and Presque Isle Bay to repair their fleet and seek medical treatment for the wounded. They stayed in the protection of the bay because of threats of another British uprising. During the winters of 1812-1814, many of Perry's crew suffered from poor living conditions and the harsh winters. As legend has it, many of them died and their bodies were buried in the adjacent pond known as Graveyard Pond. In remembrance of their hardships during those winters, Little Bay was renamed Misery Bay by the surviving sailors.

Presque Isle:

The French were some of the first to settle in this area and gave it the name "Presque Isle" because it means "almost an island".

These were found on a website about Presque Isle and some of it's history and current attractions:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/STATEPARKS/parks/printables/presqueisletxt.txt

Bill

03-12-2007, 12:37 AM
I agree with those guys too.I have family that lives there and thats what i've been told too.I actually fished the stink hole this past weekend and thats just about what it amounted to.The ice is breaking down now and there's no snow on the ice.The other places we fished were nasty too.So be careful! We fished the 2nd parking lot at the Bay and also went to Misery Bay to check that out too.Tons of small 'gills.Some guys we getting some decent crappies on Friday at the Stink Hole and the Head.Clear Lake in Sparty isn't producing much now because of the pike migrating to spawn.Pymytum. Lake still has good ice and producing some nice crappies and walleyes in spots.Canadota Lake only produced 1-29" pike for us and a few small 'gills and perch on Sat. :)

coondog
03-13-2007, 07:08 PM
Was wondering where exactly is the stink hole anyway? And please... no smart arse responses either :twisted: coon

Grizzly Gary
03-13-2007, 09:54 PM
coondog, the stink hole is accessed by the 1st & 2nd parking lot as you head into Presque Isle Bay State Park. There are 3,4 or 5 places to park with access to the bay before you hit the final spot which is Misery Bay. All provide excellent angling opportunities. Whether ice or open water these are top notch fishing spots. Perch, Crappie, Blugills, Steelhead, Bass are all available depending on the season. All are apt to be hot thru the ice.

Haven't been there since this latest warm spell so I can not provide info as to ice safety or conditions. I would suggest you call the B.A.C. Bait Shop at the entrance to Presque Isle before making the trip. They will gladly provide info.

agertool, thank you so much for the additional history lessons. These stories are the facts that need to be passed down from generation to generation. These history facts greatly enhance the fishing experience.

I'm thinking I will start a new topic named " Fishing Spot History." Just about every bay and body of water we fish has a story behind it. Learning about them is as much fun as fishing them.

Thanks to all for the info & please keep it coming. We need to pass these histories on to our youths.

coondog
03-19-2007, 06:02 PM
Can you still get on the Bay ??