PDA

View Full Version : reservation license for Kinzua

bucksnort
03-12-2007, 06:33 AM
Where can you buy reservation license now??
DO you need a NY license to fish reservation waters on Kinzua??

Bryan Hoffner
03-12-2007, 11:12 AM
You can buy a liscense at Gibson Notary in N. Warren right now. It's located at light where 62 intersects with Follett Run right across from Big Joe's fruit stand.

No you don't need a NY license to fish the res. Very little is actually regulated by the state of NY. If you have a map of the res it should show that tiny bit.

And remember at Big Joe's "If it grows they sell it"
At least that's what his sign says

Grizzly Gary
03-12-2007, 12:30 PM
Hoff is right on, Brenda Gibson Notary has the Res. licenses. You can also get them at OJs Smoke Shop. Take the Steamburg/Onovill exit off of I-86 go towards Onoville Marina and OJs is on the right. Reservation waters are hot in the spring.Well worth the $35 for the license.

Grizzly Gary

MR ED
03-12-2007, 03:38 PM
Thought that you still need a New York Fishing lic to fish on the res, even though it is part of the Indian Nation.

Now that I think about it, I know that you have to abide by the New York rules and regulations but still not sure if you need the license.

MR ED

Swanny
03-12-2007, 03:49 PM
You do not need a NY license to fish reservation water.

Gilligan
03-12-2007, 04:58 PM
Hey Buck snot...

If any of these fine gentleman care to do the leg work you can give someone your vital information and the license can be purchased and mailed to you, you are not required to purchase in person.

bucksnort
03-12-2007, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys sure do appreciate the input!!!
See ya on the rez!! ( when it warms up)!!
bucksnort

MR ED
03-14-2007, 12:12 PM
Went to get my res permit over the past weekend. Tried to get a permit for a friend and they said ok... but.... I had to forge their signature. I was also told that if you got "stoped" and the signatures did not match... oh well.

Guess if you want to take the chance go-4-it.

I think they are more interested in the fee rather than who buys the permit.

MR ED

buzzbait1965
03-16-2007, 12:20 PM
I have refused to buy a license since they went to $35. I wouldn't mind if they actually did anything for the fishing with the money or practiced conservation practices themselves. It's a shame as I grew up in Salamanca and fished the River almost every day as a kid, lived about 150' from the shoreline. You never had to have a license until you were 16 just like NYS. Not anymore, I'd like to take my son but am unwilling to fork over that kind of money for my 11 yr old son. I have made the suggestion to some in the Nation Gov't to forgo the license fee for the youngsters and maybe reducing it for the people who live on the reservation but practically got laugh at right to my face.

You are right MR ED I think they just want the money. I get ripped off enough at the reservation gas stations. I don't need to for the enjoyment of fishing as well.

Grizzly Gary
03-16-2007, 07:27 PM
Had a brief conversation with a Seneca Nation of Indians Conservation officer the other day. These folks have begun great habitat work on Kinzua. Many new habitat projects have begun. I invited the gentleman to appear on the show and he readily agreed. We at this time discussing the date as he must get approval from the Nation to appear. No different from many others such as the NRA and lots of NY & PA Government entities.

I for one am greatly appreciative of the Seneca Nation Of Indians for allowing me to fish their waters. No different than any other landowner willing to share their properties. I fish approximately 75 times on the Reservation end of Kinzua. $35 is well worth the money.

carl milks
03-16-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm with you Gary- the $35 is more than worth it. Especially when you consider we pay $31 for a resident Pa licence!!! Plus, that same licence is good on the Catt Reservation near Gowanda for fishing the Catt Ck for steelies-double usage!!! Don't know where you're from Bucksnort, but if near Bradford area, you can get the licence at McKean Notary on Chestnut St or Bradford Notary on N. Kendall Ave. Also at S.N. Admin bldg in Salamanca.

buzzbait1965
03-19-2007, 09:53 AM
Gary, I would be very interested in knowing what the Nation is doing for the Reservoir. I live on the Rez and have heard nothing about such. If they would put fish in or do some structure work etc. I might consider buying one again. It still irks me about the junior licenses and how they are the self proclaimed protectors of mother earth, yet about the only time you see them fishing is during the closed part of the walleye season. I always hope for muddy water during the spring run but that doesn't work against netting though.You should see the amount of fish that come out of the spawning areas. I have fished on the Catt. Cr. for steelhead and I get a little uncomfortable when there are guys shooting high powered rifles off the bridge in Versailles at fish in two feet of water and a stream bottom that is shale. Or have someone jack lighting deer off I-86 with an 06 while your paying to night fish for crappie on their ponds just of the interstate. Or blasting away at nesting Canadian Geese on the Hotchkiss Cr. Bay while I'm on the other side fishing. They aren't doing anything illegal mind you but very unethical in my mind. Fishing should be enjoyable, you shouldn't have to worry about being killed while doing it. These aren't stories I've heard through the grapevine, I was present when they took place.Throw in a deer poaching problem off the rez, some of it for commercial sale, and I wouldn't consider that being very good stewards of the land. I don't think you get the same problems lower on the reservoir when your out in a boat, these are all shore fishing incidents and most are well up stream from where I would guess you would be able to reach by boat.

I know this sounds horrible but these are just some of the problems I've wittnessed. Not all of the Native Americans are guility but I guess that it's just like being a good hunter and getting grouped in with the "slob hunters", that we all so despise and hate to see ruin a good thing.

If you fish that much on the Reservoir it would be well worth it but to take your kids for an hour or so at a time it's a bit much especially when you have to purchase licenses for an 11 and 7 yr old as well as maybe having to worry about their safety. There is enough water in NYS I can take them to for the $19 or so it costs me to have a license. Enough of my rant, this is a subject that just goes right to my core. I would be very pleased if the Nation started a habitat program and would volunteer to help if they wanted any help.

I don't fish PA Carl, but does the resident fihing license for PA cost $31 or is that for all your licenses? If that is just for your fishing what does all your licenses cost? $31 dollars just for fishing is a bit much if you ask me. I believe it is $37 for a resident sportsman license in NY which gets you fishing, big and small game, a doe permit (most of the time) and for another $5 you get turkey permits for fall and spring(3 birds total).

carl milks
03-20-2007, 01:35 PM
Buzz- The main licence is $22 and a Trout Stamp is $8 plus $1 issueing fees.

MR ED
03-20-2007, 01:58 PM
If you want to fish Lake Erie.....Another 9 bucks

MR ED

buzzbait1965
03-20-2007, 02:45 PM
What does the extra trout stamp monies go towards? If it is specifically designated to hatchery costs I think NY should think about it. The stocking program certainly isn't what it use to be here.

What's up with the $9 for fishing Lake Erie too?

I'm pretty sure it's $19 if you just buy a fishing license by itself. What would it cost you guys to buy all of the licenses I listed in the NY sportsman license?

I guess I'm lucky being in NY for once. Usually it costs us double what it costs to do anything anyplace else.

DIYASUB
03-20-2007, 03:26 PM
[quote="buzzbait1965"]What does the extra trout stamp monies go towards? If it is specifically designated to hatchery costs I think NY should think about it. The stocking program certainly isn't what it use to be here. quote]

I cant speak for your area, but where I'm at stocking is more than sufficient.
I retired out of the bait business in september and my shop was just about a hundred yard walk from the Black River and quite often I walked down to help with stocking.
I saw more than enough fish being put into the river to counter the fishing pressure.
To prove it to be correct, I also saw quite a few really large browns caught every year that could only have been holdovers from previous years stockings.
Maybe you could look into just how heavily your favorite waters are being stocked and if you and others dont feel it's sufficient let the state know how you feel about it.

buzzbait1965
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
Well the streams get an awful amount of the fish here, but I'm not a big stream fisherman. The lake numbers are way down and now with year round fishing they seem to stock in the fall and not as much in the spring. By the time the guys hammer them when they put them in and then the ice fishing it can be pretty slim. One lake in particular has a large pike population and the state stocks about 4,000 yearling trout in the spring. Well it's like sharks coming to a wounded tuna when they put them in. They do put 300 or so 2yr olds(spring) and some spent breeders(fall) in there but the 2 yr olds dont stand much better chance against the pike, and they are very willing biters so they get cleaned out ASAP. After the first few days the trout that are in there they are gone.

These 2 lakes get an awful amount of year round pressure but the DEC doesn't put the #'s required to keep the fishing very good for long. The streams stay good for a while but alot of the land is private and access isn't always easy to obtain, except near the stocking points. They use to put a lot more fish in (and some nice breeders in the fall) and the season wasn't open year round so come April 1st they were hungry and you could catch fish for alot longer period of time.

It's frustrating to see some single Mom or my self take your kids up there without much of a chance to catch anything.

Maybe I'll try calling them. I now the budget isn't near what it use to be so maybe there isn't alot they can do about it.

I use to fish some streams in the ADK. when I was in college up there but for native fish. The Ausable is a great fishery but that gets a ton of pressure. Do they stock that as well?

DIYASUB
03-20-2007, 07:20 PM
I dont know about the Ausable, I'm more to the north west, but the West Canada creek from Herkimer NY is still considered a world class trout stream.
Up in my area, northern Oneida, and Lewis counties, just about anywhere you drop a line you'll find fish.
As I told another member, This is one heck of an area for the sportsman and a pretty well kept secret.

Grizzly Gary
03-20-2007, 09:25 PM
I agree that it would be a good thing if the Seneca Nation Of Indians had a youth license and I believe they should allow kids under 12 years old to fish for free. 12-16 you charge them 5 or 10 bucks.

I have spoken with the new Seneca Nation Conservation officer in charge and he tells me that the Nation plans many projects on Kinzua. I take him at his word. Just the fact that the Nation now has such an orginization speaks volumnes as to their intent.

I for one thank the Seneca Nation of Indians for the opportunity to fish their waters. I feel the $35 is well worth the money.

I invited the new head of the Senecas Conservation Dept. to be a guest on the show. He said he would be glad to visit. We will announce the date when we are locked in as he has to put a request in to the council for permission to do so. No different than the NRA and some other groups who must have any media visit approved by the powers that be.

carl milks
03-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Buzz, Yes, the monies collected from trout stamps goes towards production/stocking of our streams & lakes. It was designed to offset the costs at the hatcherys. This has worked pretty well for years, but now with rising costs, ect, PFBC has reduced the numbers of trout they stock. I had forgot about the $9 Lake Erie Trib Stamp, and also the Combination trout/salmon /Lake Erie Permit ($14). Originally, these were created to help offset the losses to commercial fishermen on the lake from banning c-fishing. This was to be a "short-term" surcharge, but it has been in effect for quite a few years now.