PDA

View Full Version : power pro line

Mighty Mike
03-12-2007, 01:38 PM
heard grizzly talking to charlie and red from allegehny guide service. they said that this power pro line is the best for walleye. said 14 pond test is same diameter of 2 pound test. anybody else use this line. is it as good as they say. looks pricey to me.

mike

GR8FUL2FISH
03-12-2007, 02:24 PM
I've used it before, but found it no better than Berkely FireLine, which i really like. It was a little more expensive than fireline, so i haven't bought it since. To this day, i have never lost a fish due to line, when using fireline.

Gilligan
03-12-2007, 04:12 PM
Mike...

Fireline IS NOT cheaper as stated in another post. A 125 yd spool of fireline @ Cabelas is $14.19 as compared to a 150 yd (25 more yds) of Power Pro for $12.19.

I am a converted fireline fisherman. Fireline is good...Power Pro is better. Fireline has a tendency to fray and weaken in real rocky, snaggy waters.

No need to spool it all, take a 300 yd spool, add some mono backing and spool 3 reels. 3-5 years from now flip it around and fish from the unused end. ALWAYS USE A MONO BACKING! Fireline or Power Pro will slip if tied directly to the spool.

Dave at Steel Valley Tackle has the best price I have seen anywhere for Power Pro at $21 for 300 yd spools.

http://www.steelvalleytackle.com/

Chuck Sabatose
03-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Power pro is great. I use it for jigging spoons, botom bouncing, and trolling. I like it much more than fire line. It doesn't fray like fire line. As compared to mono, I will use power pro for 2 or 3 seasons. When I use mono, I change my line after every tournament. In the end, it is cheaper.

bucksnort
03-12-2007, 06:34 PM
Now i know why chuck don't catch fish!! must be that 90 lb power pro!! HA HA
Both lines are excellent, but in the end its the fisherman that catches the fish!!

tight lines,
bucksnort

GR8FUL2FISH
03-13-2007, 06:23 AM
Sorry for the misinformation on the price! :? Must've just been at the shop i was at, but at the time, fireline was cheaper.After hearing all of these raves about powerpro, may just have to give it another shot :D

Chuck Sabatose
03-13-2007, 08:18 PM
Now you did it Keith! I am going to try this year at the DAV. I mite even pre-fish.All I can say is "I will beat the skinny, Ranger and van driving ,french fry greese burning ,hand lineing ,Pittsburg twig's butt at the DAV!" You will stand on that stage with your head down and your tail between your legs and a tear in your eye and all you will be able to say is :cry: "The green Skeeter beat me again" It is on! :D

FishingMarshall
03-14-2007, 09:04 AM
I like power pro and fireline. Mostly use power pro when vertical jigging with a flurocarbon leader.

boxfrog
03-14-2007, 04:57 PM
I've used both and I actually like the Fireline better

Grizzly Gary
03-15-2007, 12:55 PM
I have had many guides & pros tell me how much they love Power Pro Line. Was told that there is a new red color coming out that is virtually invisble under water. My experience with Fireline is that it is extremely sensative, i mean you feel everything. What I didn't like is the no strtch or give factor when it comes to snagging up. You can pull a stump to the top with Fireline.

Looks like i'm gonna have to give Power Pro a try this year. My ice angling buddies love it thru the ice. Still unsure of the Super Braids though. Plus it's sometimes tough to break the old ways one is used to.

Grizzly Gary

flipper
03-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I have used both, but after using Power Pro I will nevr use Fireline again.With Power Pro you can tie any kind of knot and it will not slip loose.Not the case with Fireline.And as Gilligan said ,if your fishing rocks with Fireline it will get beat up and weak.