PDA

View Full Version : Trip swap

treerat
03-20-2007, 11:27 AM
In order to meet a few people from this site I thought I would offer a fishing trip swap .What I have to offer .Small stream trout fishing Potter county Pa or Allegany county Ny ,Swap for fishing trip any where within a few hours of Potter county .

Grizzly Gary
03-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Does this mean you would be willing to do a Walleye trip with me? This is a fine trade as I can attest to Treerats prowess regarding Trout fishing in Potter County Pennsylvania!

What do ya think Treerat? Up for a little eye fishing?

treerat
03-21-2007, 07:58 AM
Absolutely Gary that would be a good trade .I have very limited Walleye experiennce .Also all other Posters feel free to offer your own swaps with others on this post .Who Knows you may find a new fishing buddy . My offer still stands for any one else wanting to trout fish either state .
Gary let me Know when you want to come out this way to fish .No need to wait for the opener except for warmer weather . The Genesee river in Ny is open year around .

NY-STR8SHOOTER
03-22-2007, 04:06 PM
treerat -

Let's go fishing.

My boat is still in need of repair to the front casting deck. There are enough trout streams up here to suffice. If you have a boat, I know I can put you on bass later on in the bays off Lake Ontario: Irondequoit, Sodus, or Port Bay. I still have charts and notes from my tournament days.

If you guys want another person along on that walleye trip, count me in. You pick the date. I am always ready.

Rob

AFISHN
03-22-2007, 04:51 PM
Treerat.I'll take you up on that Potter County fishing trip offer.
I also have NYS and PA fishing licenses--

I have fished Lycoming County(Big &Little Pine,Trout Run,Lycoming, and a few others in LC),but not Potter County.Never fished the Genesse in NYS.

The really good things I could offer you are down my way(SE PA) are below.

1)Would you be interested in a 2 day fishing trip on the Delaware Bay for Stripped bass(aka Rockfish),Sea trout,blues,flounder?
That's primarily a June/Julyactivity.I have a boat and plenty of room at the house.
A 2 dayfishing trip would make it worth your while to travel down to West Chester,PA.Salt--so no license required.I also have all the tackle you would need

2)The Susquehanna Flats(headwaters of the Chesapeake Bay) are 1 hr from my house.We would fish in one the largest concentration of"cow"(large)breeding strippers on the East Coast.All C&R.this is a mid April to early May activity.You don't need a fishing license becasue I have a MD boat license

Let me know what you think--either here or PM.
Thanks
Tom

AFISHN
03-22-2007, 04:57 PM
NY Stra8Shooter.

I would love to fish for bass or Walley up your way.
I have an 18ft Center console --with an automatic down riggers& planner boards,but would prefer drift fishing for bass or walleyeon Ontario or Erie.

The two trips I outlined in the previous post might be something you would be interested in too.My boat could handle 3 anglers--so you might want to hook up with treerat,to fish down here.
Tom

NY-STR8SHOOTER
03-23-2007, 07:30 AM
Tom -

Two things I love to do (in some order) are to get outdoors and meet new friends. Count me in.

You two are from PA, close to the NY border. I am upstate NY on Lake Ontario. With the fishery for walleye available on either Chautauqua or Lake Erie, it makes sense that I come down there. We get some eyes from the FingerLakes and bays off Ontario but mostly have to travel to Oneida for decent walleye action.

Bass is another story. I fished tournaments with local clubs here years ago before my back went. I still have equipment, maps, and notes from those days. Anybody want to buy a flippin stick, paper graph, flasher etc. ?...LOL I think the best chance for quality fish is Conesus. A friend of mine took a 8.5 lb. Largemouth out of there a couple of years ago. The fishing is tougher though as the water is very clear. Light line and a lot of patience; weedline early and boat docks later is the rule. The plus side is that you might catch something else in the process. The lake also produces some walleye, perch, and Northern Pike. If you are looking for bass in quantity, then I would look elsewhere.

My schedule is clearing up, so let me know when.

Rob

treerat
03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Sorry no boat On my end NY-STR8SHOOTER.But lets set up a trout trip .Either Rochester Area or down Here . I have never fished for river Steel head .Any place up there that has a good spring run ?
Down Here I fish the Upper Genesee and its tributarys any thing from natives to stockies your choice either state or both . Genesee in Ny is open year around no need to wait for the opener . I think she will be very fishable next week . I recomend some waders to fish the river . But I have spots I can put you if you dont have waders .
Afishin I would love to do some stripers .but thats a little far for me with my work schedule . You can come up trout fishing no need for the swap .I really just started this as away to meet people from this site ..

NY-STR8SHOOTER
03-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Guys -

Ontario is a Great Lake. Its regualtions take precedence over statewide regulations. Open all year: Browns, Rainbow, Steelhead, Coho, Chinook, and Pink Salmon - 15" minimum 21" for rainbow. Limit 3/day any combo.

The mouth of Genesee at Lake Ontario has East and West fishing piers or you can fish warm water discharge at Slater Creek. In either case no boat is needed. Where depends on what you want to use for lure. Egg sacs work best in the creek; Cleos and any thing else anywhere.

If you latch onto a King, I hope you like long battles. In the Fall 2006 LOC Derby, the top seven of twenty spots went to catches of a 35 pound fish or greater. As I type this, I am looking at the Grand Prize ($20,000.) winner one James Hudtalen of Erieville, NY posing with his 38 lb. 14 oz. King Salmon. Rainbow/Steelheads from 16.13 down to13.03 lb. for the twenty spots. Now these were boated. Is it possible to catch one from the pier? Who knows?

If we're going to drift fish, can we do it for Smallmouth? Good chances of landing some beauties outside the bays on the lake. I know...been there done it.

By the way...For anybody who wants to fish or hunt with me up this way, please PM me with your name, address, phone numbers, and an email address you check often. I will respond with the same. Availability is not an issue as I am retired. Although somewhat disabled, I get around pretty well with a cane or a walker.

Rob

happyhooker
03-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Grew up in Wellsville (Allegany County) and can attest to the great trout fishing there if you're thinking of taking him up on his offer. Also, the Wellsville Lions Club has a trout derby the last weekend of April that draws about 3000 participants, and thousands in cash payout for tagged fish for a$15 entry fee. Don't remember the website right offhand, but run a google search for "Wellsville Trout Derby" and you'll be able to register and get all info online.

treerat
03-25-2007, 08:19 AM
Happy hooker . for the Alegany county fishing I ussually fish near the stateline down stream to Wellsville .Do most of my fishing in the Shongo area . There is a no kill area artificial lures only from Shongo bridge on 19 down almost to yorks corner . I also fish some of the smaller streams Cryder creek ,Dyke creek .And a few others that I cant remember their names .

happyhooker
03-25-2007, 12:26 PM
Treerat
Know exactly where you mean in Shongo. A long time friends Dad owned Bierman's Country Inn and I was likely to hit there and the Hitchin' Post after a satisfactory morning of fishing. Have had some great times at that no kill zone near the RR bridge. Do you fish the trout derby? I've never been able to 'cuz I set up in Island Park to sell bait, but this year plan on fishing it since I sold my bait shop. I'm no expert (like Grizzly) but this year I'll finally be able to fish some Walter's and Muskie here on Chautauqua. Maybe we can hook up some time this summer. Have plenty of room on the pontoon and an empty camper next to the cottage.
Happy Hooker

treerat
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
No derby for me .I tried it one year to crouded for my liking .Ratherbhuntin fishes the derby though .I believe he caught a $50 fish last year . .Used to do a little drinking at both those places after a day of fishing .The hitching Post is closed now .
Chautauqua lake I fish it once in a while with my uncle . He has a campsite near Kennedy Ny .

seabee570
03-27-2007, 09:30 AM
new guy here,I would be interested in fishing with ya treerat in potter county...I have no experience at trout fishing.my camp is in warren county close to the east branch tionesta and south branch tionesta creek,south of warren

treerat
03-27-2007, 02:49 PM
Seabee570 . Let me know when you want to try some trout fishing .Might even be able to go to your camp and teach you ..Where is your home ? Lots of good trout fishing all over Pa. What Kind of fishing do you ussually do? .What kind of rods and reels do you have .spinning ,bait caster or spin cast .Not a problem if you dont have Equipment .. Now this is what I wanted in this post . Members helping new people .Thats what this site is all about . :D

seabee570
03-28-2007, 08:45 AM
I live in pitttsburgh....I have an ultra-lite combo,and I have an old shakespeare rod,about 6ft long with an old,(1953),pflueger baitcaster that I have never used.I usually go lake fishing,mostly panfish.I would like to try a place called buzzard swamp,by marienville for bass.My ultralite should be ok for trout.....I can use all the help I can get for any type of fishing ...thanks

treerat
03-28-2007, 10:12 AM
Yep the ultralite will be fine ,probably 4or 6 pound test line .I ussually use trout spinners that I make my self . Do you have waders ? They are not a necessity but sure make fishing a little easier . You can get away with hip boots up here but if you ever plan on fishing the Allegheny River below the dam you should have chest waders . Let me know some dates you plan on beeing at camp . I will see how my work schedule is

seabee570
03-28-2007, 10:53 AM
yeah i have hip waders...

treerat
04-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Update . Afishing (Tom)will be coming up the first week of Pa trout season april 16- ?, We will be fishing both states..
Nystr8shooter (Rob) and I have talked on the phone .Plan on doing some fishing with him sometime this spring .
Seabee570 .plans on coming up to potter county some time as well .
Grizzly Gary .??. Who knows with him .Hard to get him off the lake in the spring . Pm me your phone number again . Maybe we can get you here while some of the others are here .