PDA

View Full Version : Allegheny Reservoir Clean-up

Rian
03-25-2007, 07:07 AM
The following is from Nathan Welker with the USFS.

"The Third Annual Allegheny Reservoir Clean-up is scheduled for 8:30 AM on
Saturday, May 12, 2007. We are planning to work from the Roper Hollow boat
launch and will be focusing our efforts on the north end of the reservoir.
Volunteers will again be provided by Warren County Adult Probation. It is
hoped that the US Army Corp, PA Fish & Boat Commission, and Kinzua Fish &
Wildlife Association will be able to assist us again this year as well."

" Is KFWA interested in assisting with this years clean-up?
How many volunteers could you provide?
Could you provide 1-2 boats and drivers to help with the project? I wouldn't need them to haul trash, just passengers.
Could they bring (5-6) life jackets with them for their boat(s)?
Does someone have access to a dump truck who would be willing to use it
to haul trash for us?"

This is a very worthwhile project that KF&WA has participated in since it's inception 2 years ago. We have picked up TV's, many tires, miles of fishing line, old pontoons, general garbage, glass, styrofoam, bricks, blocks, you name it. Groups of 2-3 are dispersed throughout the area by boat, with each group leader in charge of a radio for communications. Garbage is collected, and set in piles along the shoreline for the Forest Service barge to pick up. You should bring your lunch and water to drink, and high rubber boots are very helpful. Although the clean-up the last 2 years has been very succesful, we have only been limited by the amount of volunteers.

I can't say enough about the fine folks from the Warren County Adult Probation office. They are very hard workers, and just a fine bunch to be working with.

Let's show these agencies just how much we are concerned with the litter lining our shorelines. Please consider helping out this day, the more hands we have the quicker the job will get done. If you think you can help us out May 12th, please let us know by emailing reservoircleanup@kfwa.org . Thanks much, and we hope to see a bunch of you there.

Rian Rich
Kinzua Fish & Wildlife Association

Grizzly Gary
03-26-2007, 01:46 PM
Holy moly! That is the same day as the Tommy "Gutter" Frontino/ St. Judes Childrens Research Hospital Fishing Tournament.

This Kinzua Clean-up Day is a thing everybody that fishes, swims, skies the Zoo should get involved in.

The Kinzua Fish & Wildlife Association folks is putting there time & efforts into projects like this and we should all support them.

www.kfwa.org

Mighty Mike
03-28-2007, 11:23 AM
whats the scoop on the st jude grizzly. are they having it for sure. i would be glad to help with the kinzua clean up.

mike

Grizzly Gary
03-29-2007, 12:56 PM
As far as I know the St. Jude Tournament is still a go. Made some calls and all said the same. Will investigate further. Anyone who is available to shuttle folks on the Kinzua Reservoir should certainly do so. We have to help care for our resource.

www.kfwa.org