PDA

View Full Version : Local Taxidermist does fish!

woodlandtrophies
03-26-2007, 09:48 PM
Just wanted to let the Grizzly Community know that there is a local taxidermist in the area that does indeed mount fish! Next to turkeys, it is my specialty. I have heard from several of my clients that finding a taxidermist who does fish, and does them well, is hard to find around here.
I custom carve the body to exact measurements & mold your fish's head & create an exact replica. This ensures a longer lasting & higher quality mount for you. I hand paint & airbrush to real life perfection each & every scale. Yes I paint both sides as well! No ugly white back side. ~.o The fish is then mounted upon a wood or custom scene base. Your choice.
I am located in the swamps of Niobe, NY . 716-782-3824
Here are a few pics of some of my work. Enjoy & happy hookin'!

http://www.freewebs.com/woodlandtrophies2/bass.JPG

http://myspace-666.vo.llnwd.net/00543/66/65/543015666_l.jpg

treerat
03-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Do you do reproductions ? If so what measure ments do you need ? I do mostly catch and release type fishing .What is the cost per inch now .last one I had done was $5 an inch many years ago

Mighty Mike
03-27-2007, 11:04 AM
hope i catch a big one this year so i can call you. a 31 inch walleye would be very nice. welcome here to grizzlyland.

mike

Gilligan
03-27-2007, 04:14 PM
A large mouth bass? Hope that was not a replica but that someone actually killed that vermin and removed it from the water :sign5:

Replicas are a great idea you get a fish for the wall and the trophy swims off. I think hunters should do the same. :thumbup:

I dont think many here (me either) know what data to collect for the taxidermist for a replica...

photo? length, girth ???

REPLICATE THE WALLEYE, KILL THE BASS!!

woodlandtrophies
03-27-2007, 08:27 PM
I do not have a "set" price for replicas. Simply because of the multiple options on pose, style, etc available. Once we determine the exact style you wish to use, I work a quote from there. Price is figured by, of course, price of materials, base or hanger chosen, amount of paint time, yada yada yada.. ~.o
I also do not use the typical $ per inch. The prices I am about to list cover the mount & a "simple" wood panel. If you want a custom scene it would of course go up depending on what it is you wish (water, glass case, etc).

Warm Water Cost
15" and Under $120.00
16" to 18" $140.00
19" to 21" $160.00
22" to 24" $190.00
25" to 30" $240.00
31" to 39" $320.00
40" to 45" $360.00
Over 46" $420.00

Trout/Salmon Cost
Up to 18" $160.00
19" to 21" $210.00
22" to 24" $250.00
25" to 30" $300.00
31" to 39" $360.00
40" to 45" $410.00
Over 46" $475.00

As for what measurements to get, there are two main measurements required. 1=the length of the fish, from the rear of the eye to the base of the tail, measured when the fish is lying on it's side. 2=the circumference of the fish at the largest portion of the belly. When measuring your fish, use an accurate tape (a cloth tape is most accurate) and calipers to determine these dimensions.
Photos are a plus, but do them as soon as possible, for fish start to lose their coloring the second they are pulled from the water. I recommend keeping a disposable camera in your hunting/fishing packs.

Hope this helps you all out!

Grizzly Gary
03-27-2007, 09:37 PM
I again welcome Woodlandtropies! I gotta give credit to any business that posts their prices. In any business there are variables that come into play.

Kudos to Woodlandtrophies!!

Contrary to Mighty Mikes sexist post :lol: it would be my honor to have you as a guest on our show. Please pm me your number if you are interested.

It is truly my belief that the female demographic is the most important opportunity for the sports we all love to grow.

I look forward to hearing from you.

woodlandtrophies
03-27-2007, 10:32 PM
Well all prices are subject to changes -grins- bring in a whooper that has hooks lining its jaw.. I may have to slap ya erhmm I mean charge ya extra!
As I said too, depending on what type of habitat base you wish, the cost can vary.

Me? On your show? -blushes- Now wouldn't that be peachy! Make sure you have lots of them senior soda pops on hand to calm the nerves ^^ I saw the other night while digging through the archives that you had my neighbor on, Tony Stravato .. trying to conquer the swamps are we? -grins-

I'll be in touch. Sounds like fun!

Mighty Mike
03-28-2007, 11:26 AM
you get ready for the ride if you go on with grizzly. the man is nuts but he is good at it.

mike

GRIZZ
03-29-2007, 02:44 PM
Have you done crappies? Can you post a few examples of your work? Its so hard to find a taxidermist who paints crappies properly.

woodlandtrophies
03-30-2007, 12:19 AM
To be honest Grizz, I have not had the honor of doing a Crappie. :( I can assure you, you tell me how you want it to look & if I have to paint it 20 times till I get it how you wish it to be, I will. If my customer isn't happy, I'm not happy. I refuse to let anything out of my studio until my client is 100% satisfied with my work.
I use many forms of reference, I go over my pictures with the customer, their photos of the fish, etc.. I want your fish to look exactly as it did when you hooked it. :)
Take the photo of the Chinook I did. It is much much darker then "normal" but that was how my client said it looked when he hooked her. So that is exactly how he got it.
I'll have to dig through my albums & scan up some more pictures of my work for you all to see.

GRIZZ
03-30-2007, 01:28 AM
Good idea. From my experience the more people see of your work the more they will want some done. Do you have a website? If not go check out Microsoft Office Live. They are giving away free domain names and they have a real nice website builder that I think almost anyone could use to build a decent website, even if you only had pics of your work online for people to see. Go check out the site I made in about a half hour to show off a few pics. www.onelastcast.net

woodlandtrophies
03-30-2007, 08:58 PM
I already have a website, but thanks for the link. :)
You can check it out here: http://www.freewebs.com/woodlandtrophies/
it is a little out of date. Been so busy I have yet to find the time to get it updated with new information & photos. I do believe all prices are accurate o.O Guess we know what I have to add to my list of chores this weekend ^^