PDA

View Full Version : turkeys with a bow

Mighty Mike
04-05-2007, 11:25 AM
cant seem to shoot a deer with my bow so i figure i might try to shoot a turkey. any of you guys hunt turleys with your bow? seen it on tv once or twice and it looks really hard. seems for sure you would have to have a ground blind. just looking for free advice.

mike

Bwanna Jim
04-05-2007, 01:00 PM
Hey you know LB took one a few years back Mike! Said it dropped like a ton of bricks. I guess the way most do it is in a porta blind like a Double Bull or similar set up. Have tried to shoot them with a bow but they always seem to get tipped off some how. Good luck in your quest!

Grizzly Gary
04-07-2007, 07:08 PM
Gobble gobble birds with a bow aint no easy task. I would agree that a ground blind of some sort would be a must. Them gobblers are the toughest of game to hunt! Hard enough to get one with a shotgun let alone a stick & string.

Good luck Mighty Mike in your quest. Seems to me you ought to be concentrating on them 4 legged animals rather than the 2 legged types. :lol:

carl milks
04-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Good luck!!! I've tried numerous times thru the years from a trestand while deer hunting- never have been able to get to full draw!!! Seeing how they have virtually 360 degree sight as well as overhead, a groundblind would be about the only way, and even that might be tough!!!

04-08-2007, 11:32 PM
My son called one in for his buddy last year and shot it with his bow.They used a ground blind with shoot-thru mesh.The birds were only 15 yards away and they couldn't believe the stuff they got away with{movement}.I just bought a new ground blind for turkey and deer at Cabelas last weekend in W.V. and i'm going to make my first attempt at bagging one with my bow.Our friend just used his regular deer arrow/broadhead{100gr. Thunderheads} setup.It dropped within 10 feet.You guys are right about trying to shoot one in the fall when deer hunting.I have never been able to get at full draw on any either that were close enough to shoot at.If they could smell like deer,you'd never kill one with anything!!!! :shock:

FisherMOM
04-17-2007, 08:42 AM
Anyone that can shoot a turkey with a bow, is one heck of an archer in my book!

hey, remember last year that video of the turket getting it's head blown off?
That was with a bow wasn't it?

Grizzly Gary
04-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Yeah FisherMom I remember that! That was one heck of a shot!

treerat
04-18-2007, 11:46 PM
I have missed a few in the fall with the bow . Cant call good enough to get them close enough in the spring . :oops:

turkeylad
04-25-2007, 03:22 PM
If I was you I'd try a gobbler gillotine, that's probably what that turkey got it's head cut off with. They got 2" blades, or 1.5" blades. Your choice, and you defanatly need a ground blind. My dad tried to draw on a turkey out of his treestand in missouri and the turkey still spotted him. Killing a turkey with a bow in the spring is one of my goals. :D

Grizzly Gary
04-26-2007, 10:41 PM
You are off to a hot start turkeylad! I figure if anyone has the chance to become an expert turkey archer it is you!

As far a how to contact me with your address so I can send you a shirt, go to the member list at the top of the page. Click on my name and you will see how to send me a message.

darcher
04-27-2007, 09:24 AM
I have hit 3 turkey with my archery setup. I lost the first two, but on my third try I dropped a fall hen in her tracks,ten minutes later I shot a nice eight point buck. This was accomplished with no cover. I was sitting on a downed tree, on a steep ridge, in about a four foot deep hollow. What a great morning it was!!

bucksnort
05-02-2007, 09:05 PM
Fishin partner Jeff bagged a big jake on first day with his bazillion feet per second bow at 14 yds, we saw everything from the flydown, strutting, gobblin and the shootin. ( not to mention the first two misses!!! )
I went myself monday and the dominate gobbler came by at 14 yds and my recurve limb hit the ground and I missed, got another arrow and BAM nailed him right in the side. Went running across the field after him and he kept a runnin, then spread his wings and glides down the hill. I spent countless hours looking and took my dog on a couple walks tryin to sniff him out, but was unable to locate the bird. How depressing.
Maybe explosive tips nexttime!!

Mighty Mike
05-10-2007, 09:46 AM
thanks for all the stories and advice. i got to try this. what a challenge. would be a bummer to hit a bird then not get it.

mike

turkeylad
05-16-2007, 03:35 PM
Turkeys are hard enough to hunt with a shotgun let alone a bow has to be really tough without a blind. Did you get one mike?

hunterdeneugene
05-17-2007, 02:09 AM
I konw alot of guys who hunt turkey with a bow use a trail tracker, the device with the string that comes out and you just follow the string. I f I was hunting with my bow, the gobbler guillotine would be the way to go.

Tucker Time
05-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Don't let great ambitions overshadow small success. If you put your time in you will get one with a bow. There are lots of really good ideas pitched out to you. Choose something that will be good for you and run with it. It's most importunate to have fun and enjoy what's given to you when it comes. GOOD LUCK!!! :P