PDA

View Full Version : Hunting River Smallies

Action
04-08-2007, 02:10 AM
Sorry but this was the best I could do for posting in the Hunting Forum. Does anybody on here fish for smallies on the Allegheny? It's been hard to get some inside info for me on this subject.

Outdoorsman
04-08-2007, 07:53 AM
:roll: You sould have asked if anyone bow hunts fish there. :lol:

FishingMarshall
04-08-2007, 08:50 PM
Does anybody do any bow fishing on here?

Grizzly Gary
04-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Action you are a beauty! :lol:

Grizzly Gary
04-10-2007, 10:29 PM
I moved this to the General Fishing Page in hopes that you all would share any info you have with Action. He loves Rivers & Streams that produce Smallies.

The Allegeheny River is certainly a premier Smallie fisherie. I can tell Action for a fact that if he floats the river in May during the DAV Tournament time and casts #9 & #11 stick Rapalas in the black & silver colors he will catch Smallies and who knows what else.

C'mon boys and share any info you have to make an Ohio visitor welcomed to our area. Action is a strictly catch & release kind of guy.

Though it is his wife Dawn that does most of the catching! :lol: She is catch & release also as well as much better looking than he!!!

Action
04-10-2007, 10:48 PM
Thanks Gary, I think. :lol: I like to use big stuff for the river smallies like HJ14's and fat tubes. By late may I should be able to start popping some on buzzbaits and poppers. I can't wait to float the big river. I do have those rapalas just in case. :wink:

Outdoorsman
04-10-2007, 11:06 PM
Thanks Gary, I think. :lol: I like to use big stuff for the river smallies like HJ14's and fat tubes. By late may I should be able to start popping some on buzzbaits and poppers. I can't wait to float the big river. I do have those rapalas just in case. :wink:

:roll: :lol: All hail the river GOD and take notes.......He got game ! :wink:

Action
04-10-2007, 11:32 PM
LOL, I have your river god hanging from my rod. Little Beaver Creek is close to you and we'll be fishing it together in the near future so save your proclamations for then. :twisted:

GRIZZ
04-12-2007, 02:13 PM
I fish the Allegany quite a lot for smallies. I love wading the rivers and creeks. I use all kinds of lures. Mainly 3 types. Surface lures like jitterbugs, floating minnows like rapalas, and grubs - 3-4 inches in chart, black, or motoroil. I switch types depending on time of day and water conditions and clarity and location. Fish the exits of deep holes and eddys. Find rocky sections of creek or river and fish the structure bordering deep water. For the all around lure I'd use the grubs, they always catch fish and are easiest to use in rivers. Expect to lose lures, another good reason for grubs.

Smallie fishing is excellent on the Conawango as well from the mouth at the Allegany all the way up to the state line where you can find wade able water with rocks or pools.

These river smallies aren't the footballs you get in Erie or Chautauqua, but they are atheletes and fight better than any freshwater fish your gonna find around here, and when you do get a hawg hang on cause hes gonna take you for a ride. River smallies are smart fighters so be aware. Try to fight them away from the rocks because they will wrap you around them or wedge their bodies in the cracks and then the fight is over on your part.

Do you want to get the bug to fish river smallies? Go search your library for Zane Greys non fiction books he wrote about his childhood on the Deleware water gap. Actually, all his non fiction books about his hunting and fishing exploits are absolute must reading for any hunter or fisherman.

The Lord of Lackawaxen Creek is about smallie fishing , but his other fishing books are excellent also and worthy of ready several times each.

http://www.laketeedyuskung.com/html/creek.html