PDA

View Full Version : Fishing hot spots

RangerBT
04-10-2007, 02:14 PM
Heres a challenge...are you willing to give up your early season crappie hot spots? For the last few years, the hottest spot on Chautauqua I have found for crappie has been straight out from the between Stony Pt and the YMCA camp (lower lake). In approx 4-6 f.o.y. The really bunch up on the outside weed edge there. Randy

Gilligan
04-10-2007, 05:27 PM
Randy...I have not had the necessary time to seriously chase Chautauqua crappie in about 6-8 years so I am sure my hot spots are 'old hat' and maybe not so hot any more.

For me, early season was east side of Bemus same depths you mentioned a bit south of Pat's woods. Also south of bridge on east side and a bit later in Arnold Bay.

Watched my buddy working a tiny crappie jig in 3' to 4' of water hook up and release an 8# walleye. Couldn't beleive that fish didnt break off that light set up.

Bill J
04-11-2007, 06:40 AM
Fishing Chautauqua crappie last year was not very good for me. I tried that YMCA area and only caught afew but did get into the big Gills.

Next trip up got into a nice bunch in Bemus Bay in the corner east of Long Point, went back the next day and could not find them.

Next place I found them one afternoon/evening was in Arnolds Bay. Once again went back 2 days later and none were to be found. That same day though a friend of mine was up and when he called to tell me he pounded them, while I had no success, across the lake in around Cheney Point.

Down at the White Wall I caught allot of crappie but none were legal.

So I had no real hot spots it was hit and miss, one day on, next trip zero. Even the channels did not produce the crappie as in the past. Small perch everywhere grrrrr.

Grizzly Gary
04-11-2007, 06:28 PM
The White Wall accross from Maple Bay. Start as shallow as possible and move out up to 8 ft. deep. By all means look for the weed line.

One year I was reeling in a Crappie and a huge lunge grabbed it. The fight only lasted a minute but what a rush to see that big lunge with my Crappie in its jaws!

We need sun & warm weather!

eyedoktr
04-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I don't know anything about the crappie in Chautauqua but Honeoye is a different story.

John Lorenzo
04-12-2007, 06:40 AM
okay doc, spill your guts about honeoye! I'm all ears. I've heard the inlet is good early and also the southwest corner. As far as Chautauqua goes, I've done well around the cribs and in the western part of Ashville Bay.

Cattafly
04-12-2007, 07:06 AM
Used to do real well around the Crib and Grass Island jigging pockets in the weedbeds but the last couple of years it has turned into a weed mat. Better suited for walking on than boating through. Hope that situation gets cleaned up sometime soon.

eyedoktr
04-12-2007, 02:36 PM
okay doc, spill your guts about honeoye! I'm all ears. I've heard the inlet is good early and also the southwest corner. As far as Chautauqua goes, I've done well around the cribs and in the western part of Ashville Bay.

John, the inlet is basically the same as the south west corner. I used to live about 5 houses up from the south end on the west side. I got many fish right from shore. Once they moved north, the best place I found was near the Times Union Tract (NE corner). There is a small field of stumps there. They are about 7/16ths of the way between the marina and the NE corner. If you can locate these, you will definitely catch crappie. The NW corner of any body of water warms up first due to receiving more sun everyday. At times, the very northwest corner can be very productive but it's not my #1 or even #2 spot.

Also the cove just north of California Ranch Point (actually right behind the point) is a very good spot until it gets too weedy.

John Lorenzo
04-14-2007, 08:42 AM
thanks doc, good info, I'm up that way quite a bit, I love fishing the finger lakes

Grizzly Gary
04-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Has anybody been doing any Crappie fishing?

Bill J
04-17-2007, 09:11 PM
Gary ... some have been reporting about Chautauqua, mostly perch and small crappie at this time. They are fishing at Ashville Marina and other places. I plan on going up on Friday and give it a try somewhere.