PDA

View Full Version : SCENTLOK WORTH THE MONEY OR NO ???

Grizzly Gary
04-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Is this worth the money. I have a face mask I got from Cabelas that I use during Archery. I got it cause all agree that your mouth emits the most worrisome scents. This stuff is exspensive as heck. Plus it's kind of a pain to have to put it in the dryer for 45 minutes to activate the charcoal.

Anybody here have a full suit? Do you think it is worth the money.

Thanks Mad Dog for mentioning this in another post. I thought I had posted this question once before but I can't find it.

04-10-2007, 09:58 PM
Like said before.If you don't have anything else to spend your money on-go for it.If you use good hunting skills,play the wind,do your home work,forget the suit-just hunt! Everyone before our time killed many monster deer,elk, mulies and bears without it.Ever think why people come up with these new products?? TO MAKE MONEY!!! I'm not saying that they don't work,but i'm not spending my hard earned money on that.No deer has the nose of a canine.Rattrapper can attest to that.We have to try to fool them everyday for months without charcoal suits.Stay clean,wear rubber boots and watch the wind.Save your money for a new gun or bow. :roll:

Grizzly Gary
04-12-2007, 10:42 AM
I could see buying & trying the stuff if it wasn't so darned exspensive.

Bwanna Jim
04-12-2007, 12:03 PM
Grizz I picked up my Scentloc and other brands when they go on clearance!! A couple of stores in Erie put it up dirt cheap after XMAS :wink: To make room for Spring and Summer goods. As far as it working it seems to when the wind shifts unexpected :shock: I don't believe that it totally gets rid of your scent as claimed,just lessens it.You still must do your part and not introduce human scent into your hunting cloths! I find cover scents from the area you plan to hunt work best. I once hung my clothes in a horse barn for 2mo. so I could get close enough to arrow a big buck I had scouted. He must have thought I was just another horse :D Just ask LB he helped drag him out :wink:

woodlandtrophies
04-13-2007, 12:07 AM
Hmm you know I think if you are going after the "big boy" it may help.
Heres a scenario for you.. I had left my stand for about 45 mins to get some warm socks, hot cocoa, yada yada & had just come back to my stand. My husband climbed down from his stand & we stood, drinking the hot chocolate, I was smoking a cigarette & what happens.. here strolls in a lovely young buck oblivious to us. The wind was blowing every which direction, so can't say we were downwind. needless to say, My husband filled his tag.
I've also snuck a smoke here & there only to have deer walk within 50 yards of where I stood. I once had a lil button buck follow me during a squirrel hunt, I think he wanted to bum a smoke.
So how much of a factor does Scentloc play? If you are after the "trophy" I am sure it plays a big role. But if you are like me & only looking to fill the freezer, not spending the money. ^^

rattrapper
04-13-2007, 03:37 PM
One of the best deer hunters, "outlaw", bowhunters I ever met, smoked like a son of a gun. ------------ He killed tons of deer. ---------- He was a child hood hero as far as killing deer went. -------- Always had cigarette butts under his tree stand. ---------- rattrapper

hunterdeneugene
04-13-2007, 04:54 PM
once again, I think it is just another tool that one can use in the pursuit of game. Was watching a hunting show while getting ready for work today and one of the hosts was saying that never would he step into the woods without it. While rolling the credits, guess who one of the sponsors was. I don't have it, and I find it too expensive, but I do find myself controlling scent in other ways. I too know people who have been smoking, had smelly aftershave on or whatever that have killed nice bucks. All I know is that alot of bucks and other game have been killed in the past without $250.00 scent free suits.

treerat
04-13-2007, 06:28 PM
The guy that won the buck contest here uses scent blocker clothing . But also got mine on sale . :D both pair .Looking to buy another

carl milks
04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
After 40 years experience in hunting, collecting 36 bucks, and countless does, I'm not gonna waste the money on a fancy charcoal suit. Watch the wind, wash clothes in baking soda and hang them outside, take clear water showers before going out, these have all worked for me all this time. Yes, I smoke (cigars) and I refrain from smoking during archery but not afraid to light up during gun season. As a matter of fact, all 3 deer I killed this season, I had a smoke going. Yes, scent can be a problem, but you are NEVER gonna eliminate it totally anyways, so just watch the winds & use your head.

04-17-2007, 08:38 AM
I posted this on the crappin' in the woods thread.....

This part is my opinion.

"Scent Lok suits are a joke....."

This part, is others opinions that I agree with.

"It's been proven scientifically that it is against the laws of Physics that the "activated" charcoal contained in them can be reactivated at the low temperature of a clothes dryer. In fact to reactivate the charcoal at the proper temperature the clothing garmet itself would not survive. Totally impossible to reactivate a Scent Lok suit......

The other downfall is that they do work from the moment they are made but become "saturated" long before they reach the consumer. Those savvy in chemistry and physics who can understand the happenings at the molecular level will know what "saturated" means.................

For those who can't grasp that concept, an easy analogy would be in terms of a liquid such as water with sugar added. Keep adding sugar and stirring until you get undisolved sugar in the bottom of the glass. The water is then in a "saturated" state..............."

IMHO, Scent Lok is a scam...........

Grizzly Gary
04-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Seems like this is a unanimous opinion that if nothing else these products are to much money for what they provide.

If only I could develope a product that would make the wind blow the way you want it! I'd be a billionaire!!!

turkeylad
04-23-2007, 08:14 PM
My dad says that scentlok really works sometimes and I've noticed that it works quite well. But sometimes it doesn't matter what you do them big old does still get you. but i'd say it may be worth the money. :D :?:

Outdoorsman
04-23-2007, 08:34 PM
Any thing that gives you an edge is a plus.

I will say I know a few guys who just seem to score all the time. They scout with the best of them and no matter what they wear they score. They play the wind and you would never see them in a tree stand because they know not to move.

They are not rich in money but, I would take the advice they give me as God send.

treestandtimmy
04-25-2007, 11:38 AM
not worth the money. the wind is all you need to know about. making sure you use scent free soap on your body and with your cloths. hang your stuff outside for a few days you are good to go.

04-27-2007, 05:14 AM
When at an extended stay in Bear Camp we might only have what water we can pack in as the camp may be dry or the available water unfit....making cleanliness a hardship even with unscented soap, ect.. The water is needed for cooking, drinking, and the like.

What I/we do is avoid perspiring as much as possible, we avoid wearing our hunting clothes at the campfire...we take a set of "camp clothes", we religiously use a scent killer spray to ensure the hunting garmets remain scent free...and we bath with unscented Wet Ones or "baby whipes". It's amazing how many of those things you can carry in a pack if you first vacume pack them at home. We also use them for clean up chores after cooking. Handy damn things they are.........

Keep your stink down and hunt into the wind, much cheaper than a suit that don't work anyway..................

phlstr119
05-17-2007, 02:27 PM
I have a few scent lock Items andI think the stuff might help and here is why I believe that the stuff works. First once you have spent all that money you are more apt to take the pre-hunt shower, not stop at the gas station, tell phido to stay of your hunting clothers, not let the wife wash them in just anything, and so forth. If you hunt with the wind in your face, clean scent free clothes, pre-hunt shower, take all those steps you will always help your cause, but, even when you do things correctly you can still get busted by that great nose. I have greatly enjoyed hunting more frequently from my ground blind as the constant moving of my feet and scuffing up the earth makes a great masking odor. Does Scent Lock Work, I would vote yes to a small degree, but it useless without taking all of the other steps involved. Phil :roll:

05-17-2007, 10:53 PM
I totally agree with Phil.I'm a trapper too and i know for a fact that no matter what you do, a deer or wild animal can smell you.It will depend on the animals mood on what it will tolerate.Canines can smell you every time no matter what you wear or do to prepare so play the wind the best you can and stay as clean as you can AND don't be moving around.They detect movement instantly and thats where most guys get burned :shock: