PDA

View Full Version : Help for a beginner

SilentLou
09-02-2006, 01:04 PM
Hi all, I just joined. This is the best of any forums I've seen on the net, maybe the first I've seen with little or no petty arguments and insults, etc. Really informative and entertaining stuff here.

I'm clueless when it comes to fishing and hoping I can get some pointers here. All I really know is to slap bait on the hook, throw it in, pretend like I'm a fisherman, and then exaggerate any stories or fish that I do or almost catch. I had the chance to fish with some friends off the north coast of France this summer and it really got me excited about fishing again. We caught about 30-40 mackeral in about 2 hours, and ate some right on the boat, can't beat that. Other than this, I have fished very little since I was a kid and I'm interested in learning some basics such as... how do you grab particular fish while removing the hook? (I've heard for example that you should grab walleyes by the eyes, is this true?), where can I find info that indicates which fish and which size fish may be kept?, if you do keep a fish and will clean it, how should you keep the fish until you clean it? (in water or dry), how should you clean the fish? (I've never done this before)

I live in Erie and often visit Kinzua so these would be the waters I mostly fish. Thanks for any help.

firemedic3314
09-02-2006, 01:24 PM
Welcome to the site.

heres a link to help with the regs for PA.

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/bookfish.htm

This should get ya started...

as far as landing fish or holding them to get the hook out:
lip land bass with thumb and forefingers....
dont do this with walleye or any toothy critter...might hurt a bit...

trial and error will get you some ideas...

talk to Gary...he is the MASTER BAITER..er umm...the master fisherman around here...especially for Kinzua...he will teach you lots of things...and some things you really didnt need to know.. :lol:

FisherMOM
09-02-2006, 04:06 PM
Hello Silent Lou... those are some great questions!

I havent the time to answer any of them,
but I am sure things will get rolling here with all that@

Outdoorsman
09-02-2006, 08:47 PM
Welcome, you picked a great place to learn and just have some down right fun. Garys a blast and his personality makes this place what it is.

Drifter
09-02-2006, 09:27 PM
Fisherman's Code:
Early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies.

carl milks
09-03-2006, 11:46 AM
Welcome. First, with walleyes-don't EVER grab them by the eyes!! But do be careful of those needle sharp teeth & dorsal spines, and the gill plate can cut you too. I grab them belly first around the body. Same with catfish/bullheads. Don't squeeze hard enough to crush them, but firm enough to hold on. Netting helps and most times you can get the hook(s) out while they are still in the net using pliers or forceps, then if releasing, just tip em back in. Keep em alive as long as possible if keeping them. If they expire, put on ice immediately. A livewell in a boat does just as it's name implies, if on shore or no livewell, put on a stringer to keep alive. Hope this answered some of you questions. Carl

SilentLou
09-03-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks everyone, helpful stuff. I think my main concern is with catching one of those giant toothy fish, like a pike. I've never caught any big fish before, so not sure how to handle them. Plus, I'd love to learn to clean and eat 'em once in a while. By the way, if anyone is interested, I can post some pics from my fishing trip in France.

FisherMOM
09-03-2006, 10:48 PM
Absolutely!!!

We are very interested in pictures! we LOVE THEM!!!

Post them in the Fishing and Hunting Photos section.. and we will be all over that!

Drifter
09-07-2006, 10:00 PM
Today's tip:
Don't waste your money on a Fluke trip this time of year, if you don't like SeaBass.