PDA

View Full Version : new n.y. minnow regs

steve marcus
04-22-2007, 06:37 AM
dont know if anyone has payed attention to minnow regs from NYSDEC? it is now against the law to use any type of minnow that is not certified healthy unless on same body of water they have been caught from. in other words no traping of bait fish. example: trap minnows in ashville at chautauqua and you can use them at north end of lake as long as your in a boat. take same minnows to north end of lake in your truck or car you could be fined anywhere from warning and taking bait to 500.00. this is all in response to VHS out break. for more info go to www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fhregs.html. click on emergency regulations. also be sure if you buy bait to get receipt from bait shop. hope this helps. this does not afect pa. as long as bait is used in pa. steve marcus

Grizzly Gary
04-22-2007, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the update. Kind of crazy that we now have to worry about making sure we have a reciept for our bait. Another thing for me to worry about losing. At this point I guess it's better to be safe than sorry.

I don't know where I read it but I agree that I can see no reason that these ocean freighters can't dump their ballast BEFORE they enter the Great Lakes!

carl milks
04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
I've always wondered that same question Gary- why CAN'T they dump their ballast in the open ocean or port, then refill if they have to before going inland? First it was zebra mussels, then gobi's, who knows what else is gonna creep in there and "pollute" inland waters with foriegn wildlife & weeds,ect???? Makes ya wonder if this VHS disease was brought in that way too. Nobody knows the long term effect all these foriegn invaders will have, but all it takes is one little niche in the food chain and out goes centuries of native fish, plantlife, ect- they have no natural defenses against this.