PDA

View Full Version : SEPTEMBER TROLLING ON THE ZOO

Grizzly Gary
09-03-2006, 01:21 PM
As most of you know I don't do a whole lot of trolling on Kinzua. I have seen some do very well with that method during September. Watch Tom Means pound them last year during the KAWA tourny.

Anybody want to share any tips, tactic or places? I will be heavily testing the next couple weeks so I will share any info I have.

Willowleaf or Colorado Blades? What size Colorado? What colors?

I would figure you would use larger blades as the fish are starting into Fall fatten-up mode.

Grizzly Gary

09-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Try the hatchet blade style gary....who knows maybe it will work down zoo yonder

Gilligan
09-04-2006, 07:56 PM
Gary...I've watched you fish the Zoo, all you do is troll! :twisted: :twisted:

Bryan Hoffner
09-05-2006, 10:19 AM
I have no idea about trolling on the zoo. I wished I could help you out.
Can you do it with a jig head? I bet you can
I'll let you know after the kawa tourny if the jighead trolling works.

Grizzly Gary
09-10-2006, 04:12 PM
BORING!!!! I think i'll stick to jigging.

Grizzly Gary

Bill J
09-10-2006, 09:01 PM
Not BORING Gary when you are boating fish. Catch just as many if not more trolling than jigging. Just ask the ones in my freezer.. :D

Grizzly Gary
09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Well Bill please share your trolling tips with us! Do you run bottombouncers? Are you running cranks or harnesses? What sizes and colors? QUESTIONS! QUESTIONS!

C'mon Bill fess up with your tips, tactics and secrets for us! :lol:

Grizzly Gary

Bill J
09-11-2006, 11:12 AM
Ok Gary I will share....first off I come from the old school of trolling..about the only thing I have onboard in the way of electronics is a depth finder so I know how much line to let out so lures are near bottom and my electric trolling motor. I long line, the weight I attach to the line about 3 foot above the lure. The ammount of weight and how much line I let out depends on the depth of the water you have located fish at.

In the SPRING: you will find me dragging a crawler harness. Blade size about the size of a nickle. Color changes from day to day. Chartruess, red and white, orange and black, silver, brass, and at times even a pink blade. Trolling speed 1.2 to 1.4 mph.

In late SUMMER and FALL: I switch to the cranks. Most times if you came over when you see me trolling at this time of year and asked me to bring in my lines you would find a black and silver floating Rapala size 7 or 9 weighted down to the proper depth. I do troll other lures but the size 7 Rapala is my go to lure, again I troll at the same speed as I do the harness.

The reason that I like trolling is I cover a lot of water. Once I locate fish I can mark that spot and and work it over the same as you jiggers do. I have mostly trolled the Pa. section of the lake but this year I started fishing the Reservation end. By trolling and covering water especially on a new lake or new water to me I have found some real decent spots in shorter time.

Sometime Gary you will just have to go with me and see what I do much easier that way than trying to tell you. How long ago has it been since you fished out of a 14' boat and small motor?

Grizzly Gary
09-12-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the tips Bill! I would be honored to spend the day on the water with you. Boat size means nothing, it's who's in the boat that counts.

Grizzly Gary