PDA

View Full Version : Smallmouth Pre Spawn

Action
04-23-2007, 02:01 PM
The smallies are in pre spawn on the rivers here in NE Ohio so they should be doing the same in a couple weeks or so up in your guys neck of the woods.

Outdoorsman
04-23-2007, 08:26 PM
I seen a few largemouth pairing up. I think its the very beggining. Show time for the spawn is coming. If it stays HOT, they will be dedicated on the beds in a few weeks.

Grizzly Gary
04-23-2007, 09:51 PM
Hear they are slamming them in the tailwaters of the Kinzua Dam. I myself have fished the tailwaters in May and landed a ton of most feisty Smallies.

You think they fight hard in the Kinzua Reservoir, you ought to fish them in the tailwaters if you want a REAL FIGHT!

GRIZZ
04-24-2007, 05:28 AM
Or the PA section of the Conawango.

FishingMarshall
04-24-2007, 06:58 AM
One of the smallies I caught here in Ohio last week was full of eggs.

John Lorenzo
04-24-2007, 08:14 AM
they are ganged up in big time prespawn mode at Kinzua and Chautauqua, we got some absolute toads at Chautauqua last weekend, many many over 5 pds , I caught 3 that went 5pd 9 oz on a scale, that was the biggest we caught.

RangerBT
04-25-2007, 05:59 AM
John, are you interested in sharing the general location and method for the smallies on Chautauqua? If you rather send me an e-mail that would be fine. Thanks, Randy

John Lorenzo
04-26-2007, 05:56 AM
Randy, they weren't in any place special, all in community holes. You know where they are at. I've seen ya fishing in those places before. Try where you caught they in the fall.

RangerBT
04-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Thanks John, I am not used to really fishing hard for the smallies this time of year since this is our first offical that it is legal. In the past I would throw an occassional spinnerbait and catch some nice smallies but never really tried my fall spots. I'll be out there this weekend looking for those big girls. Randy