PDA

View Full Version : CLEAN CRAWLERS

Grizzly Gary
05-01-2007, 01:41 PM
Reading John Lorenzos post under Walleye Opener made me think of this. His complaint about Walleye fishing as opposed to Bass fishing was the mess caused by live bait especially Nightcrawlers.

I have tried many things cause John is right in that the dirt, buss bedding and smashed minnies in the boat is a pain in the azz to clean.

The best thing I have come up with is to wash your crawlers of in cold water then place them in the one dozen type containers with a chunk of moist paper towel. Extra work yes but it sure is a lot better than buss bedding or dirt all over the boat. If you do this be sure to do the crawlers the day before and put in the packages in the frige over night as they are nice, firm and lively the next day.

I rarley use minnows so this is not a problem for me. Leeches are easy.

Anybody got any other tips to share regarding clean bait?

eyedoktr
05-01-2007, 02:05 PM
Get rid of the carpeted floor. Vinyl is the way to go.

Gilligan
05-01-2007, 05:42 PM

EXACTLY!!

Gilligan
05-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Clean worms...

Um??
1. A tub full of nice warm water
2. 8 oz oil of olay bubble bath
3. rinse in orange scented conditioner
4. blow dry with hi intensity hair drier

You are now good to go, cleanest worms on the east coast! :twisted: :twisted:

5Alive
05-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Vinyl floor is half ......the other half is to go fast. Worm dirt blows right out...SIMPLE!

Grizzly Gary
05-01-2007, 09:20 PM
:lol: I knew I could count on you guys for some serious tips regarding this topic! :lol: Remind me to stick my dirty finger in your beers the next time I see you guys! :shock: :twisted: 8)

Gilligan
05-01-2007, 09:27 PM
Vinyl floor is half ......the other half is to go fast. Worm dirt blows right out...SIMPLE!

Explains Gary's worm dirt problem. That little Cracker he drives is so slow it can't blow the dirt out!

treerat
05-02-2007, 07:36 AM
Take a one gallon bucket with you. .Take a hand full of crawlers and dirt throw it in the bucket with water. . pick the crawlers out as you need it .When crawlers are gone dump dirty water out and start the process again . This is how its done on my Uncles boat . :D

FisherMOM
05-02-2007, 08:37 AM
I never worried about dirty worms, but I see your point.
Also these tips would save me from getting dirt under my nails.
It would only be worm guts!

I put worms in a baggie on occasion, but I have never cleaned them first.
How can you tell which end to put the shower caps on? :wink:

MR ED
05-03-2007, 11:48 AM
WET shredded newspapers work well too. If they fall on the floor, they dry and blow out.
A pressure washer works great for that ground-in dirt and flat bleeding leeches on the floor.

Does that bait shop, hook-line-sinker carry live bait such as leeches, suckers and CERTIFIED live bait??

MR ED

carl milks
05-03-2007, 07:54 PM
I just run mine thru the dishwasher- the wife ain't too pleased about it tho......

Outdoorsman
05-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Bunch of sissys. Put on a skirt guys. :lol: Get dirty and have some fun.

Now here is what I have used and it has been fine for me, moist newspapers makes a good bedding.

steve marcus
05-04-2007, 12:51 PM
Mr. ED, Hook, Line,&Sinker has large leeches and the best certified minnows around! hope to have jumbo leeches by st. judes tourny. any questions call Steve or Carol at 814-362-4059. Steve Marcus

centralairunits
06-01-2010, 06:02 AM

That's right

Grizzly Gary
06-01-2010, 07:32 AM
Welcome to GrizzlyLand centralairunits! We are honored to have you and look forward to your input here. Thanks also for bringing this topic back to the top as it is most appropriate at this time.

I have yet to find a cleaner way to carry crawlers than to rinse them off in cold water 7 then place them in containers with a wet paper towel. keeps them fresh, lively & clean.

zenrider
06-01-2010, 08:29 AM
I would have TST just put one in his mouth and just suck the dirt off it before using.

hunterdeneugene
06-01-2010, 08:32 AM
real men don't mind their worms dirty....

Rodwrap2
06-01-2010, 09:08 AM
Didn't anybody ever read the book "Lunkers Love Nightcrawlers"?

It talkes about 'supercharged' crawlers.

Basically, you pick your crawlers out of the container & toss 'em in a container of ICE WATER when you leave home, or ,bait shop.

I've done this ever since. They'll live all day in th water & they get plump, juicy, & ACTIVE!

Plus, they're clean in the boat.

Try it!

Bryan Hoffner
06-01-2010, 09:10 AM
I do agree with HDE!!!!!!
What are you doing, you're fishing, the worms are suppose to be dirty. it's part of the experience.
Well that's what someone told me at some point in time. I actually wouldn't know, haven't had a worm in my boat in years, just crank baits and spoons.

doctariAFC
06-01-2010, 10:20 AM
Ya know, I fish the NCCC tourney every year with a guy that is anal retentive about worm dirt and cleaning the worms so his Monark doesn't get all worm dirted up.

Take a small tupperware container and pop 3 or 4 holes in the lid. Grab a half dozen crawlers or so and put in small container, close the lid, then rinse over the side of the boat by allowing the container to fill with water, then slosh it around a bit. Drain water. You got clean worms...

Clean as you go....

hunterdeneugene
06-01-2010, 10:31 AM
another dirty worm hater.....

doctariAFC
06-01-2010, 10:47 AM
another dirty worm hater.....
No doubt. I could care less, but we don't fish that tourney in my boat.

Rodwrap2
06-01-2010, 11:17 AM
Fishin 'is fishin', but.... all that dirt is a PIA. You get hands dirty baiting up, then ya gotta bend over to wash in the lake, that's a pain in itself in a small tinney boat. Plus, crackers & smoked leek sausage tastes like chit (literally) with worm stuff as a seasoning.brushteeth

cwilliams
06-01-2010, 11:36 AM
using artificals solves all the problems. or just use a minnow rig.

mikeymjr23
06-01-2010, 11:41 AM
The worm dirt is a part of fishing

doctariAFC
06-01-2010, 12:21 PM
using artificals solves all the problems. or just use a minnow rig.
yeah, that works real well when running worm harnesses off dipsey divers in 90 FOW..... Haven't found a plastic worm that delivers on the harness like the real deal...

Gilligan
06-01-2010, 06:58 PM
Wow! Who drug this post up??? This post has to be 4-5 years old?

Gilligan
06-01-2010, 07:00 PM
yeah, that works real well when running worm harnesses off dipsey divers in 90 FOW..... Haven't found a plastic worm that delivers on the harness like the real deal...

Exactly! I drug those gulp worms around on a harness...couldn't even catch a sheepshead!

Nathanada78
06-03-2010, 08:22 AM
Yeah I tried those Gulp worms last week in the bay of Quinte and couldn't catch a darn thing. Don't waste your time on anything but the real deal.

John Lorenzo
06-03-2010, 12:22 PM
LOL love the post!!!!! Simple solution, quit fishing for freakin walleyes and there is no need for night crawlers! lol Like Denny said the fight like a wet rag! No crawlers in my boat , not ever! P.S. caught a bunch jigging on Kinzua with gulp and power bait!

doctariAFC
06-03-2010, 12:30 PM
LOL love the post!!!!! Simple solution, quit fishing for freakin walleyes and there is no need for night crawlers! lol Like Denny said the fight like a wet rag! No crawlers in my boat , not ever! P.S. caught a bunch jigging on Kinzua with gulp and power bait!
So, what you're saying is we should turn out meat-fishing attention to the bass? I never thought in a million years John would be promoting catch and eat bass fishing :)

heeheehee

cwilliams
06-03-2010, 03:04 PM

jigging will get any fish. berkely powerbait powertail grubs on a jig have caught many diffrent types of fish for me. there is no doubt in my mind that eyes will inhale them also.

doctariAFC
06-03-2010, 04:29 PM
jigging will get any fish. berkely powerbait powertail grubs on a jig have caught many diffrent types of fish for me. there is no doubt in my mind that eyes will inhale them also.
Certainly jigging will get any fish.... Tell me how eefective you are at jigging up the suspending eyes on Lake Erie.... In late July or August..... When fish are chasing smelt 60' down over 100 FOW.

Rodwrap2
06-03-2010, 06:02 PM
If you could only teach the walleyes to jump on Zara Spooks.....I wouldn't need bait at all

LUV dem smallmouths!

cwilliams
06-03-2010, 07:51 PM
Certainly jigging will get any fish.... Tell me how eefective you are at jigging up the suspending eyes on Lake Erie.... In late July or August..... When fish are chasing smelt 60' down over 100 FOW.

thats when you slow it down and use more of a stop for a few seconds reel it a little, drop it back down reel it up drop it back and so on and so on.
ive never fished walleye before but ive learned with all other fish species that ive fished for that thinking out side the box and not fallowing the crowd when the fishing is slow will put fish in the net.
I dont care if someone laughs at me for using a twistertail for trout or a inline spinner for largemouth bass.if it gets fish Ill do it.

Bryan Hoffner
06-04-2010, 05:59 AM
thats when you slow it down and use more of a stop for a few seconds reel it a little, drop it back down reel it up drop it back and so on and so on.
ive never fished walleye before but ive learned with all other fish species that ive fished for that thinking out side the box and not fallowing the crowd when the fishing is slow will put fish in the net.
I dont care if someone laughs at me for using a twistertail for trout or a inline spinner for largemouth bass.if it gets fish Ill do it.

Within your own words you are putting your foot in your mouth.
Never fished walleyes you say? That tells me you have never been on Erie, right? When you speak of slowing down, stop reel up drop down reel up
Sorry, you're thinking outside of the wrong box when you say that on this issue speaking of walleyes on lake erie. If you've never been there and fished them you can't fatham the differences between there and anything anywhere else you've fished.
I would never make fun of you using twistertails for trout, good for you trying something different, sometimes that what it takes.

John Lorenzo, shame on you making fun of us walleye guys, you big bully. Keep it up and .......... (i'll have to think on this one)

John Lorenzo
06-04-2010, 07:42 AM
LOL you got me Doc! Okay okay don't quit fishing for the eyes! here's what my dad did for all the years he had a bait store, when the crawlers came in , we boxed them up in containers with sphagnum (spelling) moss! it was a ton cleaner than the dirt , cleaned the worms of real good, and if you kept it damp it helped keep the crawlers nice. Used to go out in the woods and get a garbage bag of it for the crawlers. And the moss just dried up in the boat and was very easy to clean. So keep after the eyes guys and gals!

hunterdeneugene
06-04-2010, 07:45 AM
I fish for walleyes in the hopes that I could catch a couple for the table, not for the fight. I fish for bass because......oh wait, I don't fish for bass because John never takes me out!

carl milks
06-04-2010, 07:49 AM
We do basically the same thing, only we use those little plastic snuff cans. Poke a couple holes in the top for air. Get a few out and put in the can, rinse quick and dump out excess water and keep handy. Works great and no mess.

John Lorenzo
06-04-2010, 09:23 AM
going to the susquehanna flats this weekend denny , leaving tonight coming home sunday evening, are ya in???? LOL Next weekend too! Tourney next weekend down there. After that it will be the Chaut tourney on the 19th.

hunterdeneugene
06-04-2010, 09:32 AM
gotta work those dates John, thanks for trying. If you get up to Chautauqua and got a spot to fill, let me know. I would like to do a tourney someday for bass. Done a walleye one and that was fun. With my schedule, probably the next time we'll fish together will be for steelies or on the ice!

cwilliams
06-04-2010, 12:10 PM
Within your own words you are putting your foot in your mouth.
Never fished walleyes you say? That tells me you have never been on Erie, right? When you speak of slowing down, stop reel up drop down reel up
Sorry, you're thinking outside of the wrong box when you say that on this issue speaking of walleyes on lake erie. If you've never been there and fished them you can't fatham the differences between there and anything anywhere else you've fished.
I would never make fun of you using twistertails for trout, good for you trying something different, sometimes that what it takes.

John Lorenzo, shame on you making fun of us walleye guys, you big bully. Keep it up and .......... (i'll have to think on this one)

they cant be that hard to fish, every other species ive fished for are dumb when the presentation is right.

dry somethig diffrent for once you might be suprised, if there were a fleet of boats out on the water all using the same bait and aproach and not catching anything I shure as hell would be trying something diffrent to catch fish.

rebs
06-23-2010, 07:12 AM
I second the crawlers in a plastic container of ice water, they are clean and do plump up very nicely, get very lively and stay that way all day

coalbedbuck
06-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Personally I prefer the Buss bedding to dirt. But have no issues with getting my hands dirty to catch a few fish....