PDA

View Full Version : HUNTER SAFTEY SYSTEMS

treestandtimmy
09-07-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm from the old school of hunting in treestands, and haven't strapped myself into a tree in my life. I know it's not safe, but I think I would feel restricted. BUT, now that I'm a Dad and have other people to be responsible for, I think I should reconsider my stuborness. What do all of your guys and gals use, and what would you recomend?
Thanks for the input in advance.

09-07-2006, 09:24 PM
I'm no expert but I've been around tree stands, mountaineering, fire service tactical rescue and workplace safety harnesses all my adult life.......

To climb a tree as long as you have without a harness is pushing the limit Big Time. Don't do it even one more time. A fall of 8 feet is enough to kill........

Just think how much fun it's going to be taking your kid hunting with you being confined to a wheel chair and sucking your trail mix through a straw..............or dead. Get strapped in AND USE A CLIMBING ROPE! I'll post pics if you don't know what a climbing rope is.

THE absolute worst thing you could use besides nothing at all is the plain old nylon "waist belt" that ties to the tree. That's the one you wear around your waist and either has a rope or another belt that "attaches' you to the tree. IF you fall with this, it will ride up into your armpits and render you unable to set yourself free and quite possibly choke you dead with mechanical asphyxiation. Placing a car on your chest does the same thing.

The only thing that really works is a full harness that attaches to the tree via a strap in the middle of your shoulder blades. A full harness also has leg bands that allow the whole system to craddle you should you fall. There's lottsa good ones on the market and they are even being sold with tree stands like Summit ect. I've a good one that I can give you should you be interested, never used, came with a new stand last year. Still in the bag.

Being restricted as you said is better than being dead....really it is.

But your not restricted actually. There's times it has enable me to make a shot I otherwise woulda been too chicken to take. With a good body harness that attaches to me at my shoulder blades, I've been able to slowly lean out and over the edge of my stand and make a shot nearly straight down. Bow form also suffers if you bend a great deal at the waist.

USE A HARNESS! You can thank me now if you'd like...for saving your life or limb. I've not aimed to convince you of anything, I've aimed to COMPEL you........

Buck Master
09-07-2006, 09:31 PM
Good Post WW.

Treestandtimmy: Do what he says. :thumbup: :thumbup:

treestandtimmy
09-08-2006, 08:46 AM
I completely agree that it isn't safe at all. I have just always been in a hurry to get up the tree and start hunting. Stupid I know, and that's why I need to strap in this year. My only problem with a climbing rope is that I hang most of my stands in hemlocks, and climb from branch to branch with a few screw in steps in between. I'm not quite sure how I would negotiate a climbing rope into that. I promised my wife I will strap in once I'm up there though.

Grizzly Gary
09-08-2006, 06:42 PM
I must admit that I also have sat in my stand with no harness and a waist set-up. I have a shoulder harness but have forgotten it in the past and gone without it.

Your message has sunk in to this stupid brain WildsWalker and I will never climb the tree again without my harness.

Excellent post. Excellent info.

Grizzly Gary

firemedic3314
09-09-2006, 07:10 AM
Now...if ya read and LISTENED to WW's post...it was the absolute truth. Now...that said...I jump on the bandwagon so to speak with Wilds...as a professional in the fire/rescue service and having responded to too many "accidents' regarding tree stand falls...GET YOUR SELF A HARNESS SYSTEM AND USE IT!!! Trust me Folks...it aint pretty cuttin some poor ******* out of his waist system when he been dead and stiff for 2 hrs and hangin from the tree....nor is it fun trying to flight out a guy who has fallen 20 ft from the tree cause he didnt have a safety system ....and havin to notify next of kin.

treestandtimmy
09-09-2006, 08:46 AM
I guess I had always taken the "it won't happen to Me, I'm too safe" but reality is a little greater now. And as WW said I do know a couple of people that have fallen, one broke his back and the other broke both ankles. Don't know any that died, thankfully.

09-09-2006, 05:22 PM
I think I recall a statistic that stated most tree stand deaths and/or injuries were recieved while climbing into or out of the tree and the stand. That stands to reason if you think about it. You are most vulnerable climbing.

A climbing rope is as nessecary as the tree stand itself...plain and simple.

I over came the problem of branches in the way as I negotiated a climb very simply....

Two Ropes.....

I use a mountaineers harness including carabeeners and a figure 8. I climb trees kinda like a mountain climber climbs rocks. I have two climbing ropes, both use a cam lock system that allows you to pull the slack out of the rope as you climb or it also allows you to give slack as you need it. The ropes attach at the front of my harness in the "belt buckle" area, when climbing or desending and a limb is encountered, the extra rope is attached to the tree above or below the limb depending on which direction you are going. When that is done the rope that is in the way is taken loose from the tree and left out of the way until it is needed at the next limb. At no time are you not attached to the tree and it is very fast once you get used to using one.

Using Tree Branches as a Step.......

Stepping on tree branches is a no-no, especially in a Hemlock Tree. I've a friend who stepped on a bad branch and fell about 10 feet to the ground. He was extremely lucky that he was not hurt beyond his pride...the swamp muck was very soft. He learned TWO lessons that day..............................

09-10-2006, 06:10 PM
never evr go to my tree without a harness. thats stupid!

treestandtimmy
09-27-2006, 04:40 PM
SO you all will be proud of me, I bought a harness. Went out on Sunday and hung two stands and used it. It was alot less of a pain in the butt then I thought it would be.

09-27-2006, 05:45 PM
You were led to water and you took a drink.

Well done....................................

treestandtimmy
09-29-2006, 11:04 AM
I was thirstin for some common sense, and I filled my belly :lol: