PDA

View Full Version : Small game

Action
06-19-2007, 09:24 PM
Does anyone here bow hunt for small game ?

ratherbhuntin
06-19-2007, 10:29 PM
I tried last year didnt see a one when i had the compound but when i took the recurve out i seen a bunch didnt hit any but i seen them.

eyedoktr
06-21-2007, 05:50 PM
A guy I used to hunt with tried a bow for rabbits. He said he lost every arrow he shot and missed every bunny he shot at. I know for a fact he is very goood with a bow, at least on something the size of a deer.

06-21-2007, 10:09 PM
Not on a regular basis but i have shot rabbits and woodchucks with my bow.Losing arrows is pretty easy unless you use small game heads like a Judo tip which makes them flip up when they hit the ground.Alot of fun but shooting pheasants and that sort of thing doesn't interest me.Even with the arrows designed to fall quickly{foo-foo arrows?] i would still lose them.The price of arrows is high enough that i don't want to take a chance on losing more than i already do.Still alot of fun especially when you connect! :lol:

Outdoorsman
06-21-2007, 10:56 PM
I got a rabbit once ! Other than that, I have made a lot of small game laugh at me .

woodlandtrophies
06-21-2007, 11:31 PM
I bow hunt small game a lot.. but in the end, I only end up hunting my arrows :/

Did manage to get a rabbit once, lost the rabbit & my arrow. >.<

darcher
06-22-2007, 08:44 AM
I have done it some, shot about a dozen rabbits, as many woodchuck, one of those was a black, have it mounted. Also shot a nice tuffed eared black off a big rock in Colorado, have it mounted. Shot a Parmagin in Quebec while hunting Caribou.Have been fortunate not to have lost any arrows doing this.

Action
06-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Does anyone here ever bow hunt carp ? That's fun.

treerat
06-22-2007, 09:11 PM
I have killed rabbits ,wood chuck,squirrels and a Grouse . and yes on the bow fishing now thats alot of fun
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/treerat/Fish%202007/DSC00169.jpg

Tucker Time
06-22-2007, 11:10 PM
I'm with treerat, anything bow is in for me. Love to small game hunt with a bow. Any time spent in the field can only make for a better hunter.

Grizzly Gary
06-23-2007, 10:22 AM
Treerat & Ratherbhuntin were salivating at the sight of those huge Carp at Kinzua. I felt bad that I advised them not to bring their bows.

Small gaming with a bow is a fun challenge.

FisherMOM
06-23-2007, 09:02 PM
seeing as I am extremely gunshy.. maybe this is the avenue
I need to take to whack some chucks! The dirty BA-A-A-STERDS
ate up al l my pea plants. Got in under the fence we put up.
It's not a great fence, but it stopped chewing critters last year.

Mighty Mike
06-25-2007, 12:01 PM
toasted a couple squirrels with my bow but never actually hunted small game with it.

Summers
06-26-2007, 07:02 AM
I've never bow hunted, but always respected those who do. It seems to take alot of dedication and to try it small game hunting would be very hard i think.

zenrider
09-24-2007, 01:30 PM
Everything is on the table when I take the bow. If it is in season, it gets my attention.

I always keep a couple of Judo Point arrows in the quivver. Got a couple of grouse each year while deer hunting with the bow. They like my grunt tube. I think they must think it is that wing flapping noise. Had MANY grouse come to my QuakerBoy grunt tube.

Got a squirrel, chipmunk, porcupine and racoon. Of course, back when those were legal to hunt. They used to be call vermin. Now we call them protected.

I like whacking the red squirrels best. They seem most bothersome.

I only went out once with intent to hunt small game only. This is usually a target of opportunity.

09-24-2007, 09:31 PM
Do squirrels from a deer stand count for hunting small game?

This Fox Squirrel was HUGE.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/wildswalker/squirreldies.jpg

Here's another pic I dug up with a different squirrel in it, the Gray at the bottom. I guess the deer was kinda small too........

And so wasn't the arrow nock......

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j225/Wildswalker2/highcountry2.jpg

Arrowed numerous other squirrels from tree stands, and woodchucks both in the woods and on field edges. A bunny or two, and even stuck a grouse in my younger years......

Brdnspr
09-24-2007, 10:14 PM
[quote="wildswalker"]
This Fox Squirrel was HUGE.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c66/wildswalker/squirreldies.jpg

Looks like a gray squirrel to me ? You sure Wilds ?

09-25-2007, 08:29 AM
'Tis hangin' on the wall.

Stop by and see for yourself...........