PDA

View Full Version : I got me a bow

NY-STR8SHOOTER
06-28-2007, 12:48 AM
Folks -

You guys were very generous with the advice I requested in May about compound hunting bows and accessories, thank you. A few of you asked me to report back, so I thought you might like to hear what route I took to get back into the game.

The answer to the question new or used came with crystal logic. The source told me to start out with a good used bow that if I beat it up some, not a lot of damage would be done. He said most guys upgrade within a few years anyway because they take to the sport and when I do, I wouldn’t have a lot of money invested This way too I could determine, after firing up others, what features and which bow I enjoyed the most. His advice was sound when you read of all the posts from shooters buying new bows. I bought a late-model, used, camo, Martin Jaguar in great condition. The bow came with a 3-pin fiber optic sight, 2-prong rest, stabilizer, 6-arrow quiver with 6 Easton aluminum arrows tipped with Muzzy broadheads, string silencers, and trigger release. I had one pro shop owner give me his nod before I made the purchase.

I looked around for a “home” shooting range and pro archery shop to become somewhat proficient. I found one just a few miles west of here. The pro immediately reduced the draw weight down to about 45# compensating for my disability, suggested I purchase longer arrows, 125 gr. target point and broadhead tips, and consider a whisker biscuit rest. He also stressed I should shoot from a ground blind. That part I knew, I don’t climb. LOL I bought weights to develop more upper body strength but have yet to get into a schedule as we’ve had trades people working on the house for the last month or so. Looking forward to it though.

Rob

Summers
06-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Congrats on your purchase. It looks like you spent quite some time doing research on what was right for you. I hope you enjoy your new found passion....

treerat
06-28-2007, 12:01 PM
Have fun with it Rob . hope you enjoy archery as much as I do .45# is more than enough for white tails .

NY-STR8SHOOTER
07-01-2007, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys. I know I will. And with a little luck, I'll be able to get to this computer again easily. Be seeing ya.

Rob

phlstr119
07-03-2007, 01:33 PM
Shoot Straight, and Enjoy. Hope to see you in teh Woods

NY-STR8SHOOTER
07-03-2007, 04:52 PM
"while you still have one left"..........

REALLY

Thanks.
Rob

Grizzly Gary
07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
phlstr119 is right on when it comes to the line "Enjoy each & every moment in the woods while you still have one left!"

I have said many times that I hope I bite the dust in my Treestand or in my boat!

Glad to read of the new bow NY-STR8SHOOTER! Sounds like you got the right one and good advice to go with it.

Hope you will enter yourself & that "HOT" new bow in the "Grizzly Gary Big Buck Contest" this fall. We have got to join together to defeat Treerat this year!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

NY-STR8SHOOTER
07-06-2007, 08:06 PM
Hey Gary -

I'll give it my best shot. Can I enter a deer from the Midwest? Most likely I will travel to either MN or WI this fall for a disabled archery hunt. This one is so cool. It's a guided hunt including everthing except travel expenses there and state license fees. I've been trying to develop my upper body strength by lifting weights to draw the bow easier. Just in case I need extra help, I have a contact who is sending me a new Draw-Loc next week. I am psyched.

Rob

treerat
07-06-2007, 10:28 PM
Rob let us Know if you like that draw lock . Only seen them on tv . Gary you been shooting yet ? Better get started if your going to beat me this year . I have some big bucks in my hunting area this year . I gotta try to top last years buck :lol:

Grizzly Gary
07-10-2007, 10:25 PM
I must admit I have not gotten the bow out yet. Still in tournament fishing mode.

NY-STR8SHOOTER, I am pumped to hear of the details of your upcoming trip. Details of this years "Big Buck Contest" will be decided in the upcoming weeks. I am thinking that Treerat set the standard last year by donating his winnings to a disabled hunters cause.

I am thinking we ought to raise the entry fee to $5 with the winner donating his/her winnings to the charity of their choice.

Now is the time to begin discussions and sharing of opinions for this years event. What are we thinking boys & girls?

woodlandtrophies
07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Give me a call Gary, I will gladly do some Woodland Trophies donating if that is the cause you go for :)

treerat
07-11-2007, 08:31 AM
$5 sounds good for the contest . Especially if it goes to charity . maybe a small plaque to the winner to be displayed with the trophy . .

darcher
07-11-2007, 11:57 AM
I know already where I'll donate, I can picture this big monster buck coming in to me now. Then WHACK, as the arrow strikes the boiler room. What an image!!!!!!!

treestandtimmy
07-12-2007, 07:25 PM
Man I miss archery hunting, it's only July.....we still have 4 months to go. Booooooo :cry: :cry:

Grizzly Gary
07-19-2007, 04:51 PM
My brain is slowly starting to think of hunting. This is the time of year I start to get a little itch. We will be getting our tags in a few weeks and that is when I really start to get itchy. Sure hope I get a doe tag for Chautauqua County!

07-19-2007, 11:40 PM
I hear you guys about the hunting.I'm leaving in 50 days to go to northern Ontario for bears with my bow.7 of us going.Can't wait! I hear its been cooling down alittle too.Be nice to hunt bears without the bugs.The fishing has been really good too.I have some friends that are very close friends of an outfitter in Timmons,Ont. and they go up about every 6 weeks.They've hammered the walleyes every time this year so far.Can't wait! :D

lurky1
08-06-2007, 02:11 AM
I, too am entering the bowhunting arena and looking for a good first bow. A buncha research and visit to pro shops have lead me to the Bear Instinct. I've found it new for about $400 (bow only) and around $550 RTS.

Most of the guys I've talked to (who've taken a SLEW of animals) are shooting Mathews, Hoyt, Browning and Bowtech. I'm sure they're great, but beyond my means and experience/need.

Hadn't even considered the used option, but you can bet I will. Have some lessons upcoming at the range soon and can't wait to get started?

Anybody wanna chime in?

"Do not mistake ACTIVITY with achievement..."[/i]

treerat
08-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Bear instincts are some fine bows .Ratherbhuntin is shooting one and its a fine shooter . Shoot what you can afford. Take the time to shoot several different bows in your price range . then decide which one is right for you . Most bows made today will definately do the job .