PDA

View Full Version : ARROWS> WHAT"S YOUR CHOICE

Grizzly Gary
09-13-2006, 10:56 AM
Carbon, Aluminum or wooden. Which do you shoot and why? I shoot aluminum and many are telling me to switch to carbon. They say that the aluminums bend and you don't notice but you will notice if you miss that big buck!

Grizzly Gary

treerat
09-13-2006, 11:31 AM
I am using Carbons this year . Have used Alluminums for most of my kills .Its just getting to hard to find the right size Alluminums at my local shop . Seems they dont carry as many as they should . 2314s You should be able to get them but they ussually have to order them for me .I like the uni nocks but all they carry are the swaged arrows . So thats why I went to carbons this year . The carbons work allright I guess

darcher
09-13-2006, 01:26 PM
I am now using carbon. I started last year and am liking them. I still like aluminum, but they could get bent without you knowing it. I always spin test all my arrows anyway, aluminum and carbon. In our shop we are not yet stocking aluminum as the demand for them has really dropped off. We can usually have them in one day, with the super uni-nocks.Don't buy the cheap carbons as the straightness is not good and the spine of the shafts is not consistant. If the spine is off from shaft to shaft the your point of impact will also be.

Buckethead
09-14-2006, 07:02 AM
I generally shoot cedar but I may hunt with aluminums this year. The problem with cedar arrows is you sometimes have to go through a bunch of them before you find four or five that are consistent in spine and weight in grains. One arrow will hit right where you are looking, the next will be off somewhere else. Its just easier to get consistancy from aluminum. I may try carbons some day when I have more time (and money) to fool around and experiment with them

treestandtimmy
09-14-2006, 04:36 PM
Easton XX75 aluminum. They usually break or bend after impact if any bones are involved, but they've done great killin' dear for me.

hunterdeneugene
09-14-2006, 08:55 PM
i shoot Gold Tip XT Hunters carbon arrows with Scorpion XP expandable broadheads. I started shootin this combo 3 years ago and have killed 3 deer with excellent results. All have went less than 70 yards.

Outdoorsman
09-14-2006, 09:36 PM
Easton XX75 aluminum. They usually break or bend after impact if any bones are involved, but they've done great killin' dear for me.

Thats what I use. Heck after impact they can exspolde, as long as im on target. I use to use wood, but if the arrow gets bent based on what happened to it before i bought it or wether i put it in a position to do so. If wooden arrows get wet they can bend to easy. An inch on a shot can make a difference.

My wife says Im to anal. Shes right ! :lol: I would rather think to hard than not think at all. :wink:

Grizzly Gary
09-17-2006, 06:42 PM
These last few years I have been using Easton 2213 Super Lite aluminums. They have worked well for me. But it is probably time to update both my bow and arrows. I have had no problems with bending the aluminums. But apparently the carbons are the way to go.

Man am I gonna have to do some sweet talking to the wife! My bow is 15 years old, I need a new one. Which means the 3 dozen arrows I have are useless and all of the rest. Then I want to buy my first muzzleloader, which is another subject.\

Looks like I better pucker-up and start kissing some serious booty!! :love3:

Grizzly Gary

firemedic3314
09-17-2006, 08:33 PM
I used to use Easton XX75....great arrow....then I got a 'new' used bow...High Country...aint the most fancy thing around aint the fastest...but it still shoots wonderfully accurate. I switched to carbons 2 yrs ago...what a difference in speed, accuracy..everything...i went from havin 6 pins to havin 3 for all shots from 0-55 yds...last time it was chronied it was shootin around 298-300 fps...good enuff fer me. I cant justify spending 5-700 bucks fer a new bow..then another 3-400 bucks fer all the stuff to go with it...when mine chits the bed then maybe ...but fer now..I is happy.

treestandtimmy
09-18-2006, 10:10 AM
I just switched to from 32" XX75 2235 to 31" XX75 2317. What a difference! I couldn't believe how fast the 2317 was in comparison. I went to eastons web site and downloaded their arrow selector, it tells you what arrow you should use based on draw length and weight. I've been using the wrong arrows all this time and didn't know. Once I saw the difference I was shocked.

here is the link http://www.eastonarchery.com/downloads.asp

darcher
09-18-2006, 12:40 PM
Have a real good used Mathews Q2 for sale, Grizzled One, probably wouldn't have to change arrows. Also have a shot 6 times inline for sale!!!

carl milks
09-20-2006, 08:04 PM
Easton alum XX75 2117's for me. Over 28 bucks with these-why change? Same with heads-Wasp 140 4blades-devastating hole!!! Although it is getting harder and harder to find both! Placement is STILL the key!!! You can have a $600 bow and $100 arrows, but if you don't hit where youre aiming............

09-20-2006, 09:22 PM
I've a batch of 12 XX78's that I bought for my Mathews Ulramax back when that bow first came out....well I might be down to 10 or 11 now but that tells you how old they are.

I've several in that batch that have been thru multiple deer with only an occasional fletching repair and of course new blades..........

In fact the first shot arrow in my quiver has killed 12 deer if I'm recalling correctly.

Who needs fancy high dollar carbon stuff anywho..........?

flipper
09-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I use easton acc 360's .Started using them way back when and have had to good of success with them to change.

walleyebuster jr.
10-26-2006, 08:44 PM
i use carbons easton carbon excells to be exact i alose stripped the origanal fletching and put hilaca fletched feathers on much better groups with feathers and a hilaca fletch

01-07-2007, 03:17 PM
I shoot Carbon Exrteme ( Maxima 250) with 2" Bohning Blazer vanes and I use a 125 gr. Muzzy 3 blade. I like the heavier head for arrow stability and penetration. I started using carbons quite afew years ago for 3-D tournaments and since then I won't use anything else. I'm not saying there for everyone that's just what I prefer. All I can tell you is shoot what works for you. Just don't shoot a $600 bow and chose a cheap arrow set up, after all that's the most important part of your equipment.

Hunt smart and safe!!

MUZ

Bob Johnson
01-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I have used both carbon and aluminum The truth is, carbons if they are good are more costly at first but will out last the aluminums. I used to shoot a 2512 aluminum and now use a Carbon Express Line Jammer for target and hunting.

Do you ever have to turn a nock to get an arrow to fly like the rest? That indicates a spine problem. What is wrong with expecting every arrow out of the box to all shoot the same? Nothing form what I can tell and Carbon Express will give you that confidance.

Give it a try, call Doug and Les at Jewell Archery. They know the business inside and out.

bucksnort
01-09-2007, 05:47 AM
Wow you guys are too modern for me!!
I'm still using Bamboo with real feathers for big game and cedar for small game.
I'm still in the dark ages, but loving it. I can't wait till next bow season already.
Bucksnort

treerat
01-09-2007, 08:24 AM
Next season ? its still small game season . Stumps are open year around too :D

phlstr119
05-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Love the Gold Tip Carbon arrows, there not fancy. I have been ordering just the shafts and making the arrows myself for a while now and the last very well, the look fine, and the hunt as good as anything else. Might seem middle of the road, but they work for me. Phil :?

steve6526
06-01-2007, 10:42 PM
i like the carbons better because they hold up better to alot of abuse and we shoot alot. and when you miss the target if if they dont break your good to go no bent arrows.

Grizzly Gary
06-02-2007, 06:28 PM
Haven't tried them yet but I am told the new carbon arrows are the most forgiving, fast and accurate arrow for the money. Guess I am gonna have to invest in a dozen or two.

Course i'd shoot a sharpened stick if meant more Venison in the freezer! :lol:

turkeylad
06-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Carbons are definatley the way to go. Me and my dad will take an old alluminum sometimes when we shoot. We will shoot a carbon and then shoot an alluminum, and when we shoot aluminums they go about 5 inches lower, and look like logs going through the air. Also carbons never bend and stay there, They are either straight or broken. My dads had a couple break on him if you hit the wrong spot, and you definatley don't want to bend it to much, say you get stuck in a log or something. Carbons are definatly faster, and more accurate.

06-05-2007, 01:59 AM
I've shot Browning Gold Tips for many years and never had any issues with them.I have hit rocks and trees several times and broke very few.Some friends of mine like Carbon Express but this year i'm having my bow upgraded with new drop rest and newer sights and i'm trying the new Easton Axis small diameter carbon arrows.I talked with Chuck Adams at the Eastern Sports show and he said that they seem to come off the rest smoother and being heavy-walled but smaller diameter,they are stiffer,penetrate better and also have a tolerance of +/- .001.I'm a machinist by trade and that kind of tolerance is pretty fine.I'm willing to buy a half a dozen to see how i like them. 8)

Mighty Mike
06-05-2007, 03:03 PM
wish i could shoot sharpened sticks. cheaper for sure. guess i will have to try those carbon arrows to. hearing you guys rave about them makes we want to try them. will i have to adjust my bow to shoot them or just leave things the same.

mike

06-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Mike, you'll probably have to adjust somewhat.Depends on what you shoot now.Some guys like to shoot the big fat heavy arrows for hunting like he 2512 aluminum and some like the lightest they ones they can for speed like the 2219.Most of the carbons i've tried shoot pretty close to one another.Most are rated according to your bow poundages.Browning Gold Tips rate their arrows 4565,5570 and so forth.Meaning your bow's draw weight is 45-65 pounds and 55-70 pounds.I'm now going to shoot the new Easton Axis Arrows that have a smaller diameter but thicker wall for stiffness and also have the new Hidden Insert Technology which is supposed to make your arrows spin more true.We'll find out sooner than later.Darcher should have an opinion on this too. 8)

darcher
06-08-2007, 01:18 PM
Yep, darcher does have an opinion, but first just a note to let you know that last weekend I was in the state of Kentucky shooting an ASA shoot. Great venue with over 1400 shooters. What a great time. I did not shoot well for a number of reasons, lack of practice being number one, but the thing is I got to shoot with men from different parts of the country, talked with some others I had not seen in some time, and got caught up with others that keep in contact at frequent intervals. Just a great time.
Now to the arrows.......Easily I'd say that 90% of all arrows sold now are carbon or aluminiumwrapped in carbon.With the aluminium you have 30 different spines, weights etc. to pick the right shaft for your bow, with carbon you have 3. There are all the other reasons already mentioned. You can buy good carbon shafts cheaper than good aluminium. I shoot mostly the Gold Tip brand. Quality is second to none and they are less costly than the rest. Not by a lot but, the best buy out there. I do shoot Carbon Express CXL 150 for most of my 3-D shooting, fat shaft to cut more lines, and they weigh less than the Gold Tip in a comparable shaft, thus more speed and flatter shooting. Easton makes a good product, just don't like the way they do business. I have met and talked to Chuck Adams a couple of times, great guy and done loads for archery, but he is paid to endorse their product.......
Their Axis arrows are very good but in no way superior to the other systems out there. Just a different system that does work. I prefer the normal insert system, much easier to install and have no problem with alignment. That's my two cents worth. Whatever you choose is great, they all do the job. I am still looking for someone to go to Wisconsin in late Sept. for a Whitetail hunt. If interested you know what to do.I talked to the owner of the property in Kentucky, sounds like a place I want to go, and am, alone or with someone!!!!!!Shoot straight, and shoot a lot!!!!!!! :D :wink: :D :wink:

Bwanna Jim
06-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Easton XX75 Game Getters is what I've beeen using. Old school I know compaired to what is out there but I feel if it aint broke don't fix it!!Will try some carbons this year just to see if they shoot as well from my other bow before I change my set up on my go to rig :wink: Now is the time to change things and get practiced up :)

buzzbait1965
06-22-2007, 01:46 PM
Have shot Easton Ultra Lites for years they work for me. But I'm still some what old school as I still shoot fingers, no release. My buddies are always riding me about the antiquated equipment and way I hunt, but I enjoy it. To each their own.

I don't do alot of shooting though. If I were to shoot alot or competion I would go with the carbons. Probably much more economical in the long run.