PDA

View Full Version : It's not always what bow you shoot

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
07-28-2007, 09:23 AM
Hey guy's just wanted to tell you a story, I went shooting the other day at a local archery shop, while I was shooting a guy walked in that had just spent $1000.00 on a top of the line new bow setup. The bow was awsome I have to admit, it had the best of everything. I commented on how nice the bow was and the guy thanked me and looked at my bow, his comment was "oh your still shooting one of those with the regular cams on it" I was kinda bummed out because my bow is a Hoyt Heat Superslam and yes, it's getting old. I continued to shoot meanwhile thinking of what he had said, just than I heard him say something that made me feel great, he commented on how he's bow hunted for years but has never had much luck with deer. Ha I thought, at that point I realised it's not always how expensive or new your bow is, it's more of your knowledge of the game you are hunting, and whether or not you can outsmart them enough to shoot them. I have been pretty lucky with deer, even with my" old bow with the regular cams". I guess the moral of this story is above all know your game and know it well, then know your weapon and how to use it. Don't be discouraged just because your not shooting the top of the line bow that costs the most money, Save your money for a good sharp knife for field dressing because chances are your gonna need it. Remember it's not always what bow you shoot. :wink:

Grizzly Gary
07-29-2007, 11:04 AM
Well said JEREMIAH JOHNSON! I think any guy that would say something like that is a jerk to begin with. :x

My bow is very old but it has put a thumpin on a few deer. I been thinking of getting a new one but I am happy to have it. Can't wait to be up in that tree watching the chipmunks wrestle!! :lol:

Outdoorsman
07-29-2007, 12:10 PM
I agree with your post 100% JJ. Its not what you shoot with, its how you shoot it. I have seen some of the best looking boats all but throw there anchor in my boat to get my spot and never catch a thing.

One year I went to Pymatuning with my buddy and my motor died on me. So we went back to his trailor and grabbed his canoe and limited out on eyes in just a few hours. We had boats all around us and they had all the bells and whistles and didnt catch much.

treerat
07-30-2007, 09:06 AM
I agree 100% .My bow is about 7 years old .dont see any reason for a new one . I still shoot good enough with it to kill a few deer each year . But Gary does need a new one .It might get him to shoot more often than he does now :lol: .

darcher
07-30-2007, 09:44 AM
Right, it is not that you need a new bow, just the desire to have one. They all will do the job. Of course there are bows better suited for hunting than others. Brace height and noise are the two factors one should look at in their bows. 7 inch + brace height is best and of course getting your bow as quiet as possible, mainly when you draw it :-$

Mighty Mike
07-31-2007, 10:44 AM
it is not the bow. it is the hunter. i notice those fancy smancy guys with the big bucks bows dont know crap. just want to look like a shooter. i am happy with my old bow.

mike

Bwanna Jim
07-31-2007, 11:47 AM
If it ain't broke don't fix it.Nice to be able to afford the latest and greatest but not everyone can :cry: I have picked up some very nice used equipment cheap because others thought newer would be better :D Case in point the short magnums!Lots of perfectly fine .270's and .300's out there that work just fine.Traded away just because they thought they would shoot better with the shorties :shock: Besides it's not the arrow it's the INDIAN :wink:

08-01-2007, 02:23 AM
With proper tuning to have perfect arrow flight and keeping your bow quiet,will kill deer more times than not.Deer are easy to kill when you hit them in the heart/lung areas.My first one was with a really old Ben Pearson 35 pound recurve with hickory arrows and a 2 blade Fred Bear broadhead.That arrow went thru that deer like a piece of paper.Didn't go 30 yards.Cleanliness and other things help too but the issue here is bows.If you have a 1000.00 to play with, go for it.My Martin Jag is 10 years old now and i have shot alot of critters with it.Hopefully in 39 days i'll tell you about the bear i shot in Ontario Canada with it.Take care of what you have,you won't need another. 8)

lurky1
08-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Exactly my position in looking for my first bow. Looking at Bear Instinct (new) but open to suggestions. Anybody got a good quality used piece for an excited newby?

zenrider
09-14-2007, 10:53 AM
I had a VERY similar experience. We used to practice in the back yard and had a couple of those foam deer. I never really got into competition for bows, but my friend dragged me along to one of those shoots where you walk through the course and shoot at life size foam targets at various ranges. Never tried that.

Went there with my hunting bow. They had a class for that. I had never competed before anywhere and this sanctioned meet required you have some type of RANK based on your previous history. The only class I could enter was OPEN or whatever they called it. Basically, I was up against these guys with purple sparkly chrome bows with three way rods hanging out in all directions. Looked like they were captured from AREA 51 or something. It was pretty obvious I was there for the fun that day.

Since I stood NO CHANCE against these competitors from many clubs and states, I had very low expectations and shot a very relaxed day and generally had a great time watching all the experts. At the end of the day, they called me at home and told me to come pick up my trophy and MONEY!! HUH??? Second place by 3 points. That could have been made up by not hitting that Javelina just outside the ring.

It's NOT what you shoot. I think my relaxed attitude was the saving grace here. Others had something to prove and were blinded by competing.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-14-2007, 06:19 PM
Zenrider, that's one of those stories that puts a smile on my face. Congratulations and good for you. :D

09-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Jeremiah...

I replaced a High Country hatchet cam bow, which was a huge PITA to keep tuned...with a Mathews Ultra Max.

It was the lastest and the greatest at the time...and it was Sweet.

If you know Mathews then you know my bows' more than a few years old. I couldn't tell you a thing now about what they have, I know they've gone short and parrallel....but that's about it for what I know. I don't care what they have now, it makes no difference, mine is still just fine.

I know this bow better than any other bow I've owned, it's a pleasure to carry and it's a pleasure to shoot.....can't want for anymore than that.

If it's time for a new bow then get one, but if it's not then keep on keepin' on and to heck with those who say different. It's not the gear that makes the man great....................

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-16-2007, 11:38 AM
You got that right Wilds! :D My old azz bow has killed deer in the past and it'll kill deer in the future. :D :wink:

tunadawg
09-16-2007, 06:53 PM
I shoot an old Hoyt Fast Flight. Bought it used at the local archery shop. It wasn't even a year old when I got it. Seems some older gentleman with a fist full of money wanted the latest and greatest with all the bells and whistles. He just couldn't pull it back and shoot it. I bought it at a nice reduced price since it was "used". I've killed quite a few deer with it. It is tuned perfectly. I switch from field points to three blade Muzzys and don't have to adjust a thing. I will shoot this bow till I can't get new limbs or something seriously goes wrong with it. Don't fix what isn't broken!
Tuna

Tucker Time
09-18-2007, 07:19 AM
I finished 3rd last year at www.wildwindsporters.com with my five year old High Country. It is what works for you. I have said in the past, you will get good with a stick and string if you practice. JJ, you are 100% hunter in my book!

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-18-2007, 04:11 PM
Thanks Tucker Time, and i've had the triumphs and failures to prove it. :wink:

Esox_Hunter
09-18-2007, 08:20 PM
I must say I do own a bow with all the bells and whistles. I bought it(Hoyt Razortec) used about 2 years ago from a guy I used to work with. It truly was an enourmous upgrade from my old round wheeled Hoyt. I have killed 2 bucks with my new bow and 2 with the old. I think more importantly than your bow is the amount of confidence you have in your bow. Shoot often enough with virtually any bow and you will have many sucessful hunts in your future.

Chris

doubleheader
10-11-2007, 09:25 AM
As a fella once told me on the golf course of all places, "It's not the arrow it's the indian", and that applies to almost all sports and sporting good equipment as long as that equipment is properly maintained.

Bwanna Jim
10-12-2007, 11:32 AM
Was his name Kay? I did mention the same quote earlier!

doubleheader
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
No, his name is Shawn. But how true. Not to say that absolute top of the line equipment isn't usually pretty cool and usually highly functional, but really, is it worth $2-300 more to buy a bow that's 3 oz lighter or 2" shorter than the one you have? By the way everyone, in case you haven't found this site yet, it is fabulous for archers. It describes everything that is critical in selecting the right bow for the archer, discusses arrow flight, the power stroke, and a whole bunch of other stuff. Here it is
http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection.htm#Intro