PDA

View Full Version : Archery in Schools Program

Cherie
07-28-2007, 02:43 PM
In doing some research I was able to find out that not only is this archery program offered here in the Ohio Schools but, it's also offered in schools throughout the United states. I wish they'd had this kind of program available when my two sons were still in school. I do recalll one of my brothers or my father having a bow and arrow but I don't remember whether or not I was ever able to learn how to shoot one. It's always been my dream to learn how to though. Right now I don't have the funds to take lessons let alone purchase a bow and arrows of my own so I guess for now I'll just have to watch tv shows about archery.
Maybe if I'm a good girl maybe someday Santa will bring me one for Christmas. :wink:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Shooting/nasp/default.htm

Ohio’s National Archery in the Schools Program (NASP) is a school curriculum taught during physical education class for a two-week period. The program is designed to teach International target archery skills to elementary, middle, and high school students. The program curriculum is already written and meets or exceeds national physical education standards. Get more information about the history of NASP. The core content covers archery safety, equipment, technique, mental concentration, and self improvement. The program positively influences student attendance, behavior, self-esteem, confidence, and on task behavior. Teachers attend a one-day Basic Archery Instructor training class to become certified before presenting the archery course to their students. Training is conducted by Division staff and volunteers who are certified Basic Archery Instructor Trainers and is provided at no cost to the teachers. Get more information about Teacher and Student Involvement.

The program, training, records, and information are all coordinated and maintained by the Ohio Division of Wildlife. Thanks to support from the archery industry, equipment kits valued at over $5,000.00 may be purchased by the schools for approximately $2,600.00. Sponsorship or grant money to purchase equipment kits can often be obtained from various sources, such as archery organizations, area conservation organizations, archery retailers, civic organizations, businesses, parent organizations, and/or student group fundraisers. NASP is an eligible program for many physical education grants. Schools may organize other fund raising events or use general fund money to purchase the kits. Get more information about ordering equipment.

The program also encourages cooperative involvement in the local community, between schools, local vendors, archery retailers, conservation clubs, and archery organizations.

treerat
07-30-2007, 09:17 AM
Cherie. Archery in the schools is a great program .You may also want to check out women in the outdoors program . They have events during the year for women and young ladies that teach lots of different out door skills . heres a link to some events in your home state .
http://www.womenintheoutdoors.org/in_your_state/wito.php?STATE=OH

darcher
07-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Archery in the Schools is a great program. It has been approved in PA. but not in NY.

It takes some dedicated people to get it established in your local schools. Once in place it goes great, hard to find the people it takes to get it up and running. I do have some DVD's on it and can get lots of info for someone willing to take it on as a project. Well worth the effort :homework: