PDA

View Full Version : A good set of optics

turkeylad
07-31-2007, 05:29 PM
How importat do you guys think a good pair of optics is to a successful archery hunt?
In my book optics or binouculers aren't an accessory, but a neccessity.

treerat
08-01-2007, 09:44 AM
I carry a pair of steiners 8 power auto focus binos . You will see more deer with some binoculars than with out . If you see them before they know you are there it helps your chances . I wouldn't say they are a necessity for bow hunting though.Just another tool you can use and more stuff to carry in . Just like deer calls not necessary but I don't like to hunt with out them :D

treestandtimmy
08-01-2007, 01:56 PM
I always carry my yukon spotting scope and monocular in my pack, but I rarely use them out of my stand. Most times just in my truck or when I'm scouting. I hate to be focused on one area...even if it's just for a few minutes.

turkeylad
08-05-2007, 05:28 PM
thanks for your insight

zenrider
10-04-2007, 12:41 PM
Well if you are going to bother carrying optics, they should at least be GOOD. I use a small set of Leupold 10X that fits in my pocket. Got LOTS of binos, but these ones are the ones everyone fights over. They work even better than my 35mm and 50mm objective models.

Keep them SMALL for archery. I don't like them round my neck as the string could catch them. Therefore, they don't get used much during archery. So, NECESSITY? NO.

If I am going to a place that might have some other things to watch at a distance I take them. Keeps the boredom level under control. But I would call them a LUXURY item when bow hunting. Just my two cents.

10-04-2007, 01:15 PM
I always carry my yukon spotting scope and monocular in my pack, but I rarely use them out of my stand. Most times just in my truck or when I'm scouting. I hate to be focused on one area...even if it's just for a few minutes.

Not to just pick on Timmy but his last statement there epitomizes the lack of insight (pun there) a lot of hunters carry to the woods to save a pound of weight.

Deer have what, vision that is 10X over ours?

They key thier defenses on picking up movement at a distance and then reacting to it, most times, before the preditor can even know the deer was there.

We can all take a lesson from that considering the shortcomings humans have in the eyesight department........

In my mind a guy sitting in a stand wainting for a deer to walk by is just that, sitting and waiting and not really hunting, but waiting to harvest. A guy who is keenly aware of his perimeter and actively searching out the slightest movement at a distance, then being prepared for the shot....is actively hunting. I would suggest that a lot of guys who don't glass from a stand do miss a lot of what goes on around them. Naively thinking that if a deer is not in range then it probably won't ever be. It's only the ones who walk by that can be shot right?

Consider the knowlege that a deer is feeding at 165 yards and showing signs of moving away, not closer. The Rut is on and the friggin' moon is right.......

You know that deer is there and assessed his head gear to be worthy because you were glassing and picked up on the slight movement of one of his legs as he slow stepped along picking through the leaves for acorns. You didn't hear him there, or smelled him there....and with the naked eye dayum'd sure wouldn't see him there because where you are hunting is too thick where he is at for the human eye to penetrate and pick up that slight movement. Without the glass that deer never existed....................

Couple that with the ability to use a deer call properly, the ability to sex talk a buck your way..........and you just might have locked down a punched tag.

Or, at the very least gained the insight, 'nuther pun there, of moving your stand in that direction the next day or two.

I do a lot of spot and stalk during bow season and without good glass my game would be nil if I relied on just my eyes.

He who thinks scouting is over when season opens is an amateur, he who thinks his eyes are good enough without glass is a rookie.....

Necessity?

Depends on what level of the game you play..............................

treerat
10-04-2007, 01:23 PM
Good way to sum it up wilds .Good post

10-04-2007, 01:32 PM
You really like them Stieners?

My Pard down south carried a pair same as yours all the while I lived there, he loved 'em.

I'm sportin' a pair of Ziess Classics, 10X, and can say they the best glass I've ever looked through...........

treerat
10-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Yes I really like the steiners . They are 8x35 I think Auto focus Just focus them in on a liscense plate from 25yds to set them . They work real well in the woods at ranges I can see . Iam sure those zies binocs are much better . But I got what I could afford . :D

PassThruArchery
10-04-2007, 04:41 PM
I carry my binos about 80-90% of the time while on stand in archery. When I have it, they are to my face more then not. I have seen quite a few deer much sooner then I would have without them. That gives me the chance to get prepared in the stand. Making a few of those last minute moves while he is still far enough awy to get away with them.

However, some situations don't require them. I have a few spots where it doens't matter how expensive you optics are, you aren't going to see more then 30-40 yards anyway. in those cases, I don't even bring them. I have a range finder (this is REQUIRED archer equiptment, IMHO) the is 4X that will suffice in those instances.

So required?? No. Reccommended?? Heck yeah!!!

10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I have a few spots where it doens't matter how expensive you optics are, you aren't going to see more then 30-40 yards anyway.

There's an arguement with that as well......

If the visability is limited to 30-40 yards, even 20 yards, with the naked eye then that is all the more reason to use binos.

Many think that since a deer can't be seen at 50 yards in those places, binos are useless. Well, lemme tell you that...1.) binos are of the same value up close as they are far off....and, 2.) Deer have absolutely no problem seeing YOU at 30-40 yards in the thick.

Increasing your vision 8X or 10X in the thick jungled crap is of high value if you enjoy being aware of what critters are there. If you think that limited sight distance renderss binos useless then I challenge you to try it sometime. You would be amazed at how far you can see INTO the thick stuff with glass.

It enables you, especially when still hunting, to pick out the smallest details that alert you to the presence of game. A head bob, an antler shine, a bug shake, an ear twitch, a tail flicker, a leg moving or a foot lifting....seeing those things in time will put you at the top of the game. And for me has made the difference too many times.

Many many times, and I'm sure everyone here has had it happen....I've had a deer right up close jump and run, well within that 30-40 yard radius. And, had I been glassing ahead of time might would have been in a position to get a shot if I had only known the animal was there before it spooked.

I'd not pass off glassing from a tight tree stand either for the same reasons. Many times our ears won't detect what we'd like them too and deer can slip right past us without our knowing if the woods are noisy or the squirrels are active. Just because we feel we can't get an arrow or a bullet through the thick doesn't mean we don't want to know what's going on around us. If nothing else, as I stated earlier, it can clue us in on a stand location change if needed.

If you want to play a cut above the rest then glass is required................

10-05-2007, 10:33 AM
I have a set of Steiners 8X50's and they are great coupled with a pair of Walker's Game ears! I don't miss much :wink:

Bill J
10-05-2007, 10:58 PM
Wilds great first post on this subject.

In my mind a guy sitting in a stand wainting for a deer to walk by is just that, sitting and waiting and not really hunting, but waiting to harvest. A guy who is keenly aware of his perimeter and actively searching out the slightest movement at a distance, then being prepared for the shot....is actively hunting.

What you wrote there is why I never wanted to climb back up into a tree stand again after I first tried it one year back in the 70's. It is certainly productive for many but, as you said I did not feel like I was "actively hunting". I like the still hunting/stalking approach to hunting. Just can't sit long in a tree or on a stump long, had to always see, what is over there?

Also I always had my pocket bino's 10x for the same reason's as the above posters have stated.

turkeylad
10-07-2007, 09:06 AM
thanks guys. I carry a pair of cabelas XT's binoculars. They are basically leupold cascades, 10 x42. My dad carries a pair of cabelas eurobright 10x42. we keep our binoculars in the front of my dads truck.