PDA

View Full Version : Muzzy broadheads

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
08-01-2007, 03:56 PM
Quick question for all the Muzzy shooters out there. Do you prefer the three blade or the four blade broadheads? Currently I shoot 100 grain three blades but am thinking about changing to four blades.
Any info appreciated before I go and spend the extra money. Thanks

08-01-2007, 05:53 PM
Muzzy or bust.....anything else is scrap metal.

Personally I shoot the 4 bladed 90 grainers. I find they tune far better than the 3 blade, for whatever reason.

I came about that conclusion after trying Muzzy's 3 bladed in the 100 and the 125 grain weights and didn't like the speed I was getting out of them. Going to the 90 grain gave me the speed, and on a side, I noted them to be much easier/quicker to tune. This in turn generated better accuracy which was conclusively the same point of impact as 90 grain field points....

Now, all this is mute as it's my bow and your bow may require something different. My whole system came into tune with the right combo of shaft, head, speed, ect.....

But to argue a four bladed muzzy against a 3 bladed muzzy, I like how easy they are to tune if you index a blade straight down with a verticle **** feather.

I like the design of a four bladed muzzy per how the blades are affixed in the body of the head. The blades make an interlocking "X" that is beyond stout. I've had a single blade break off once, mebbe twice, but the other three cutting edges always have stayed put. Can't say if it was passing through the animal that broke a blade or if it was when the shaft stuck in the ground on the other side. Never found a blade part while field dressing. I have shot different 3 bladed heads through critters and lost blades in the critter.

I also like the wound channel much better than that of a 3 blade. I've never had a 4 bladed 90 not fully penetrate and exit....3 bladed, though heavier, sometimes didn't get a pass through.

I'm a huge fan of TWO leaky holes.........................

darcher
08-01-2007, 06:06 PM
Even tho the cutting dia. is a little bigger in the 3 blade you will actually get more cutting surface out of the 4 blade. With a good spin on my arrows I have had a 4 blade Muzzy bore a hole thru a deer, that leaves a blood trail, not that I needed one as they dropped within sight!!!!!! 4 Blade :thumbright:

carl milks
08-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Although I don't use Muzzys, I am a strong proponent of 4 blades over 3. They do actually have signifigant more cutting/surface area, generally fly truer and make a hole that cuts down on arrow drag as it passes thru the critter. Try this: take a 3 blade and (carefully) push it thru a pc of paper, then do the same with a 4 blade, you'll see what I was trying to explain. When you see the results, you'll be sold on going the 4 blade route. I use 1.3125 dia, 125 grn 4 blade Wasps, and they leave TWO holes you can almost put your fist into!!!!

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
08-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Looks like it's a thumbs up for the 4 blades!!! Thank's for the info :D

08-03-2007, 06:53 AM
Good choice.....grin.

Grizzly Gary
08-04-2007, 07:07 PM
Looking like I may have to change from the 3 blades I have been shooting all these years.

Great info guys! Thanks for sharing.

Any other opinions?

08-05-2007, 10:59 PM
The thoughts that are shared on 4 blades vs. 3 blades is fine for conversation but the bottom line is,if you shoot a deer where you're supposed to{behind the front shoulder-1/3 of the way up}they're DEAD!!! Period! That 4th blade means nothing.Most deer{and bears} i've shot{100 grain Thunderheads or G5 Montecs} have dropped within eye sight if it isn't too thick to see.Take only high percentage shots{the animal deserves it},practice till it hurts,then practice some more and make sure your blades are sharp and shoot at angles you'll be shooting from in the field.I've seen guys that had broadheads that had rust on them!Do yourself a favor and replace the blades,sharpen the ones you have or buy new ones.Super-sharp broadheads slice living tissue and promote extreme blood loss.Don't be fooled by the thought that 1 more blade will make the difference.It doesn't matter what brand broadhead you shoot.Make a broadside or quatering away shot at a distance you're qualified to make and you'll be hauling meat out of the woods .I know guys that shoot the old style 2 blade Magnus or Zewicky broadheads and never lost a deer yet. 8)

08-06-2007, 06:59 AM
I've lost blades out of thunderheads....pure junk.

Muzzy lives up to the reputation per pure death and I've several in my lot that've been thru more than a few rib cages only to be routinely jammed in the ground upon exit...

A quick swap of the blades, a quick check of the tune...and they're good to go.

Time proven tools.........

The value of tunin' a broadhead for optimum flight precision is a known quantity here and can be easily had by anyone if there's a Clue. A smaller four bladed not only will have more razor edge with which to hemorrhage vital tissue more better, but it will be far easier to tune to the setup than a three bladed, proven to me...by me.

They spin helically better than a three blade, they plane less than a three blade, and they can be matched to the same POI as field points much better that a three blade.

Those that argue against the optimum tune of archery tools likely only kill a few deer once in a while and can't know the nuances of speedbow accuracy nor the inherant abilities of such they so willing pass up.

Same gents prolly change sight pins from field point to broadhead, and sight in from a tree....so's they can hit somethin'.

hunterdeneugene
08-06-2007, 08:20 AM
I would recommend Muzzy's for a fixed blade shooter. I have also heard great things about the Montec G-5's. My brother started shooting them last year and harvested a buck and was very impressed with the performance. I am a mechanical shooter, and have been shooting Scorpion XP's by NAP. Never had a problem with the preformance of these blades. But, after much research, call me a victim of the hype, this year I will be switching to the 2 blade Rage broadheads. I'm sold so far , so lets see what happens preformance wise........given I'm lucky enough to shoot one this year.

treerat
08-06-2007, 08:40 AM
I agree if your broadhead is sharp it will do the job if placed in the rib cage . Last season I killed deer with 3 different heads . montecs ,sonics and slick tricks . the slick tricks are 4bladed other 2 are 3 bladed . Also agree in a well tuned bow . If your bow is in tune you can shoot any head to the same point of impact as field points .

08-06-2007, 10:22 PM
Everyone has their opinions and try to convince others they have all the answers for optimum arrow flight and penetration.You can try to convince alot of people how good a certain broadhead is but like i said,whitetails aren't that hard to kill and putting an arrow thru the rib cage with any well contructed broadhead with kill them in 30 seconds.Anyone who takes the time to make a good shot will give that deer a ride home in his truck.I've personally have only lost one deer and i was at fault.Anyone who knows me and how hard i hunt knows that i don't take risky shots.I killed my 107th deer last year so i know something about broadheads and performance.If you like Muzzys,great.If you like 4 blades great.Theres lots of good hardware out there.Get your bow tuned and make sensible shots and it won't matter what you have at the end of your arrow. 8)

08-07-2007, 08:25 AM
107?

Not bad for a beginner.........

The man asked about the differences between the muzzy three blade and the muzzy four blade. If you refer back to the original question you'll likely see that. Nowhere was the query on other brands nor any doubt on his part that a muzzy wasn't capable of killing a deer.

If you refer to my answer to his question you'll see I answered in direct fashion regarding exact experience, not opinion, with the product he refered to along with supporting facts.....no where in my answer was an attempt to get him to switch brands or pontificate on the ease of killing whitetails, as you have done.

Muzzy's are simply the toughest broadhead out there, have been for a long time and I weigh that value heavily. Good gear is tuff to whoop on amoungst those who have BT/DT. Personally I can like more razor edge with which to kill and that coupled with a hard bone smashing tip makes the four blade priceless. I tend to not give up anything in regards to accuracy either, the whole system has to work in exact harmonious precision.....I'm funny about stuff like that.

From the vault of experience with Muzzy's, told gratis just for you of course:

About two bows back, a PSE Thunderflight set at 73 pounds IIRC, I was living in the Blue Ridge of Virginia. The daily bag limit on deer was two, does were a favorite and the routine meat gathering was gratifying. '95 or '96 Season, I wacked a good doe and watched her fall over dead as expected, within sight. I dressed that deer out and went to put my sport climbers back on to renavigate my tree stand as I still had a couple hours to go before sunset....and my ride home.

As I was buckling the climbers on my feet another big doe ambled over the rise and down towards me...no doubt heading to the hidden green field that I was set up near to ambush approaching deer. That doe appeared to be making a pass by me at about 30 yards so I got ready. Full draw came as the deer stopped and made a quick glance back the way she came...I let fly just behind the front leg.

When the shaft struck her square in the hips I was dumbfounded to the point she got far enough away from me to not attempt another shot. I heavily weighed the option of getting right on her and making another better shot but she was going down fast and I held off. She was in sight and on her side, and with about two minutes of head flopping, expired.

Still trying to figure out why my shaft had struck her in the hips, as well as trying to unrattle myself...I began looking my bow over. it didn't take long to find that the Cobra rest had broken where the pivot joined the mount. A light pull of the prongs finished the break and I was in need of a new arrow rest. As I did recall an uncompromised draw on the second deer the rest must have broken on the launch. Question amswered......

The once over of the deer revealed my shaft had made a complete pass through, wasn't expecting that since I had heard a very loud crack as the shaft had hit bone....a very loud crack. Retrieval of the shaft from the shot site showed no noteable bend in the shaft and though the muzzy was packed with meat and bone fragment, didn't appear to be hurt....again not quite as expected, I knew there was substantial bone involved.

The later autopsy of the deer reavealed the muzzy had penetrated not just through bone but through both hip sockets....something I would never ask nor expect ANY broadhead to do. But, it did it and the only thing wrong with the head was a cracked blade...one of the four.

I'm not shooting Cobra anything anymore and can much like the 3D Rover rest I've had ever since, but I am still killin' deer with that same Muzzy, in fact it's been the first out of my quiver ever since.........

Muzzy IS bad to the bone............................................

treestandtimmy
08-07-2007, 02:03 PM
Well WW, I can agree with you whole heartedly on the Muzzy product.
I can't compare the 4 blade muzzy, but I can tell you that I love my 3 blade 100 gr.
Did I say I love my 3 blade 100 gr.??
Yes I did, because I LOVE them. I have my favorite head that is always the first arrow I put on the rest, 3 kills so far with the same head. But I always replace the blades, I'm not much for sharpening.

08-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Sharpening muzzy blades is largely a waste of time anyway as they are way tough to get the same edge back that the factory puts on. I've tried it to save a few bucks but quickly saw that the effort was moot.

New blades are readily sourced, easy to change and cheap enough to buy a chitt load to last a while......

All my "spent" blades go back in a box to be shot at 3D targets during the off season, I waste very little and practice much with hunting shafts.

One of the great things about the Muzzy design is that the head itself doesn't need to be taken off the shaft to swap blades...in a way preserving the tune. Nor do you risk getting cut if without a broadhead wrench. Just unscrew the tip, slam home some new blades and screw the tip back on. I always carry my nock pliers anyway, just in case, and they, with the roundness of the nock grip, fit the Muzzy tip perfectly.........

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
08-07-2007, 05:20 PM
I've shot Muzzy broadheads for years and years, ever since an old buddy of mine taught me to shoot, Big John Evans, god rest his soul. Muzzy's have never let me down and I can't wait to shoot the 100 grain 4 blades this year.

08-07-2007, 10:11 PM
I won't lower myself to your level on this subject any longer.You're the authority on everything anyway.Sorry i responded. :roll:

08-08-2007, 06:50 AM
That's funny, 'cause I routinely have difficulty shifting my brain into a low enough gear to play at your level..............

It's hard to argue against solid fact/experience, when the situtation demands such......but you still have every opportunity to step up to the plate anytime you desire and take over.

Noone's denying that of you.

I din't invent Muzzy's nor have I ever profited one single red cent from their existance....but I have killed a sheit ton of stuff with 'em, have bought maybe a total of a dozen new ones since the mid 80's as that's been more than 'nuff to kill a sheit ton of stuff per the durability of the product......and, I can know the difference between a good broadhead and a bad one.

That doesn't take a rocket scientist, by the way, on any level.....either.

Maybe there's something better these days but I doubt it......................

treestandtimmy
08-08-2007, 07:22 AM
I've heard that a good weighted flint spearhead is pretty potent these days. But you have to make sure to get the hemp rope real tight around the base.... :lol:

Bwanna Jim
08-08-2007, 09:37 AM
As stated if it is sharp and put in the right place it will be meat in the freezer.Nothing more to add. Yes Timmy even a sharp flint head will do.Been there, Done that 8) Went a little over 40yds. :D

treestandtimmy
08-08-2007, 10:02 AM
I had a buddy that used to make his own arrows and heads, and hunted with them. God rest his soul. He made some pretty awesome arrowheads out of glass.