PDA

View Full Version : Heart Rate Target Practice Techniques

treestandtimmy
09-18-2006, 10:23 AM
I was watching Driven 24/7 on the outdoor channell, and they were talking about target practice and what you should to improve your skills. So I had to try a couple, and you wouldn't believe how much harder and more realistic it is. First I fired 8 arrows into the target at a rested heart rate, held about a 3 inch group at 20 yards, then I dropped and did 15 push ups and ran to the target, pulled my arrows, ran back, and then proceeded to fire 8 again. My 3" group turned into about a 7" group. Then I did the same at an elevated stance, out of 8 shots I missed the vitals 3 times. So needless to say after about an hour of this I got my groups to about 5"s and still need to improve on that before trying it from 30 yards. The Reality of it is amazing. Makes your heart feel just like your watching a monster coming into range.
Has anyone else tried this or any other types of target practice?

Grizzly Gary
09-18-2006, 01:19 PM
Jumpin Jee-hos-a-fat!! What an amazing idea. How true it is that practice shooting vs. the hunt shot are so different. I know my heart starts pounding, I get weak kneed and breathing fast when that deer gets into shooting range. Takes everything I got to focus on the shot. That is one great idea and info you posted TST. Wouldn't hurt this chubby hunter to get the extra excercise to boot.

Nothing better than to think of ways to improve your hunting skills by incorporating real world scenarios into your practice. Many say that 3D shooting is another fantastic way to hone ones archery skills.

Grizzly Gary

treestandtimmy
09-25-2006, 01:14 PM
Man Grizz, this practice is wearing me out. I shot about 80 arrows yesterday and half of them with a raised heart rate. It was pretty windy and I couldn't hold a good group to save my life. It's so frustrating I want to quit half way through, but I know it is only making me stronger. BTY I'm sore as hell today :cry: