PDA

View Full Version : 3-D targets

camocladsledneck
08-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Well I finally shot the guts out of my Block target. I wanna get a 3-d target this year. Anyone have any suggestions on which to get? I'm afraid the cheaper versions are gonna be junk in short order.

08-18-2007, 10:17 PM
They are a disposable item for the most part...'specially if thumped a lot with broadheads.

I tend to shop Walmart and the like at end of season when they just wanna get rid of the things at a discounted price.......

I've also repaired them many times with the expandable foam sealers sold at Lowes, ect.

Gotta watch that stuff though....it's polyurethane based and takes a while to fully dry if confined away from enough air to get it dry. Like trapped inside a 3D target.

Sticking an arrow into that gooey mess is an ugly thing......BT/DT.

darcher
08-19-2007, 10:17 AM
The best on the market are the Rhinehart. They do not cost that much more but they last 3 times as long. AT LEAST !!!!!
I do not know where you are at but we are auctioning off 120 targets at the IBO Shoot here in Sept.

camocladsledneck
08-19-2007, 07:40 PM
Well I guess I'll go to Wally world and get me one. Thanks for the input

carl milks
08-19-2007, 08:51 PM
I've had expensive McKenzies and cheapie Blueridge. I did'nt see where one lasted any longer than the other. I too repaired with Foamseal, Wilds is right- that stuff works but LET IT DRY!!! Past couple yrs, I've just got the cheapies with replaceable cores and as long as you hit the core most/all the time, for 8 bucks you just replace the core. You can't beat the realism for practice. My buddy & I have a 16 station setup with 2 3d's. We went around our ladderstand shooting stand and drove 1/2" diameter rebar stakes in the ground at unmeasured distances and simply put the front or rear leg of the target with the conduit pipe that's molded inside the legs down over the stake, then after done at that station, just pick up and move to the next. This works well with the shooter obviously up in the stand, while the partner on the ground retreives arrows and moves the targets. We have an old canvas quiver on a drawcord to bring the arrows back up to shooter. We have shots from almost straight down to 40 yds, some easy open shots and some with branches in the way, ect. No end to imagination on setting up a course. Of course, it usually turns competitive!!!!

camocladsledneck
08-20-2007, 10:04 AM
I got the Blue Ridge this mornin, lil six pointer. I'm a ground hunter so the setups quick for me. Just need the monsoon to quit so I can put a few arrows into it.

PassThruArchery
08-20-2007, 03:29 PM
You won't be dissapointed with the Blue Ridge. I had one for about 6 years before it stopped "holding" the arrows for me. You can spend a lot more money one a 3-d, but in all honstey, for the average shooter, couple hunder shots a week, this will last just as long. My only reccomnedation would be to not let it out in the weather for the whole year. I probably could have gotten another year of two out of mine if I wouldn't have brought it in over winter.

Oh well, at the blue ridge price, every five years isn't too hard to swallow. Good luck and shoot straight.

08-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Just an added note....

If they're wore out from too many arrows it don't necessarily mean they need to be thrown out....lottsa life left in for another purpose.

Throw 'em on the ground laying flat, spray a heavy coat of flat brown paint on 'em, to mark off any and all arrow holes, other damage, ect......

Set 'em up for firearms practice.....speakin' of realism, and a wealth of knowledge gained with regards to critter angle vs. point of aim, hold over, ect.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
08-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Just curious, has anyone ever tried using an old one for a decoy???? It should work but I imagine it would be too heavy to lug around very far. :?:

treestandtimmy
08-25-2007, 10:59 AM
I used an old target a few years ago, but by buddy saw it and told me it wasn't good, because it's ears were in the alert position. So I never used it again. (for a decoy) It's still a great target though.

darcher
08-25-2007, 12:46 PM
They do work as well as any decoy. If the ears are wrong, cut them off and reposition them. Nothing is full proof when it comes to deer. Sometimes decoys work, sometimes they don't.

08-25-2007, 03:25 PM
Just curious, has anyone ever tried using an old one for a decoy???? It should work but I imagine it would be too heavy to lug around very far. :?:

Had mine set up on the gun range last year, Rut Time, to shoot at with my Mathews.

It had rebar spikes drove in the ground and the target slid down over them with the pipes that are molded into the legs.....y'all know what I'm sayin' there.

Went out one day to sling a couple shafts and it has been pushed over and was pushed off the rebar spikes......

'Course I looked for tracks to figure what had done it but none could be found in the grass growning on that hardpack.

Likely a buck lookin' for a fight but mighta been a bear also....dunno for sure.

The bears rolled our burn barrels the other night....BTW.

Tucker Time
08-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I like any 3-d. It's great practice for shot placement. The weather will take some life out of them for sure. It doesnt take long to bring them in. I don't think carrying them in for a decoy would be very efficient. They make cheep fold up decoys that are a lot lighter to carry.

treestandtimmy
08-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I bought The Block last year, and it was the only target I used to practice with all pre-season, and it still has a ton of life in it. So I gotta give it a big thumbs up for durability. It's pretty easy to tote around too.

Bwanna Jim
08-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Timmy is right the Block is the bomb. Just can't seem to kill mine after 4 yrs. of constant practice! I do use my deer target in the feeding position as a decoy and it does work. Put a white paper towel on it's butt with Tinks on it and it seems to do the trick. Once they see it they come right to it. Have tried the alert one and they are way to cautious or go the other way :P