PDA

View Full Version : Who replaced their bow strings??

treestandtimmy
08-27-2007, 05:36 PM
A few weeks ago Les Lyon from Pine Grove Archery was on the show with Grizz and I, and mentioned that you should replace your bowstrings every couple years or so and I looked over at Grizz .........and received the same confused look back :? I have had the same strings for 4 years and thought I was OK....Do you guys do the 2 year thing???

08-27-2007, 11:23 PM
I always change mine every two years and sometimes i have them do the cable too.Plus,i have them take my bow all the way apart to make sure my wheels and cams are in good working order and lubed.Since i use a string loop i don't have wear on my serving but still i want my bow to perform as well as it can.Things happen to people while hunting but i don't want equiment failure for my excuse on why i missed that buck or bear of a life time! :shock: 8)

08-28-2007, 07:08 AM
I've been guilty, in years past, of needing two strings in one year...and a new string every year most other times......

'Course it takes a LOT of shooting to need a new string that often.....................

08-28-2007, 07:11 AM
Should add that was with a High Country Hatchet Cam bow which was exceptionally hard on strings and cables....

It forced me to build my own bow press.

The Mathews I now shoot is much more forgiving......................

treerat
08-28-2007, 08:32 AM
I try to replace them every two to three years . Just replaced string and cables this spring . should be good until spring of 2010 now . Might get a new bow by then

darcher
08-28-2007, 08:44 AM
Had a guy stop me the other day, ask if I built strings. Seems that after not shooting his bow since last fall, he decided it was time to get it out. Opened up bow case and low and behold the string had cut its ties to the bow. Sent him to Pine Grove Archery. The new string material is superior in that it does not stretch much. More like a piece of wire, gets fatigued at the bending points and BAM, it breaks, most often without any sign that it is even bad. Change them every two years so this is not youin mid season. :cry: :cry:

PassThruArchery
08-28-2007, 01:55 PM
it is reccomended by most shops that the string be changed every 2-3 years. There are always exceptions in both directions. For example, those hatchet cams are really rough on the strings, so every year isn't a bad idea. In other cases, like a lot of the singe cam boys on the market today, if the string is taken care of, properly waxed, ect.., then you can get more like 3-4 years out of them.

Grizzly Gary
08-28-2007, 06:15 PM
Tis true Treestandtimmy and I both sheepishly looked at each other realizing that neither one of us had changed our bowstrings in a few years. Les Lyon did point out that the determining factor was how often you shoot your bow.

If you are one who shoots year round you should probably change that string yearly. If you only start shooting in preperation for the deer season then every 2 or 3 years would be fine.

Definitely you should have your bow checked every year for possible flaws that could cause you big problems during hunting season.

08-29-2007, 06:35 AM
Messed up on a straight down shot one time, and unknowingly let my binos swing over in front of the bow string......

Damned near hung myself when I fired, and that episode cost me a new string I wasn't planning on.............

Bwanna Jim
08-29-2007, 06:58 AM
Change mine every year on Sept. first. I leave nothing to chance.Also have them check the cables,cams, limbs,fix anything they find needs fixing. I work in the world of preventive maintance so a little money spent yearly can help prevent the Murphy's Law from spoiling things :wink:

treestandtimmy
08-29-2007, 10:11 AM
Change mine every year on Sept. first. I leave nothing to chance.Also have them check the cables,cams, limbs,fix anything they find needs fixing. I work in the world of preventive maintance so a little money spent yearly can help prevent the Murphy's Law from spoiling things :wink:

a PREEMPTIVE strike... so to speak :lol:

Bwanna Jim
08-29-2007, 11:08 AM
You better believe it! If it can go wrong it will and more than likely when you have a 150 class buck in your sights :cry:

Tucker Time
08-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Messed up on a straight down shot one time, and unknowingly let my binos swing over in front of the bow string......

Damned near hung myself when I fired, and that episode cost me a new string I wasn't planning on.............

Yup, did that one too. I now use a Bino Strap. Keeps them close to your chest.

Tucker Time
08-29-2007, 02:06 PM
Went down to WWS'rs yesterday. All tuned up, and ready to go. :D

Grizzly Gary
08-31-2007, 02:39 PM
I admit that I have not even shot my bow yet this year. I have got to get down and have it all checked over as well as get my butt shooting!

Thankfully Treestandtimmy has been working on the NY treestands but I have yet to check the PA stands.

Gotta talk the wife into letting me buy a dozen of them carbon arrows to!

Whoa is me! There just ain't enough time in the day!!

woodlandtrophies
09-12-2007, 09:57 PM
Just make sure when you do change out your string & cable you give yourself time to readjust. String will stretch & things won't line up the same.
I found this out the hard way. Got a shorter string (I got wee short arms) when it was time to change out (2yrs religiously1-1 1/2 when a shooting machine) well things just weren't the same after. Missed out on Cleveland shoot cause of it. Just couldnt get it pulled back together in time. Just finally got my 30 yd pin reset 2 weekends ago, gotta get 35 before this weekend. If only the darn rain would quit!!

Tucker Time
09-13-2007, 05:36 AM
woodlandtrophies, sounds like you are getting ready. Thank you for letting my wife use Nick's bow. She has shot it, and I think we have another archery hunter in the area. :D

treerat
09-13-2007, 08:53 AM
Tucker .Did you get the long bow zeroed in yet . :lol: Or will you be hunting with the wheels yet again this season .

Tucker Time
09-13-2007, 09:33 AM
Wheels again, long bow is still on the list. :cry:

woodlandtrophies
09-13-2007, 07:24 PM
woodlandtrophies, sounds like you are getting ready. Thank you for letting my wife use Nick's bow. She has shot it, and I think we have another archery hunter in the area. :D

Awesome! Glad she is liking it :) Looks like we will have to get together this season & show you boys how it is done!

Tucker Time
09-14-2007, 03:55 AM
Sounds like fun to me. I hope to shoot something for you to mount this year! :wink: :lol:

zenrider
09-14-2007, 10:36 AM
I shoot a Darton Lightening. I NEVER got two years from a bow string when I shot regularly. This thing is tough on them and they usually fail at the nock crimp. Could be I crimp it too tight, but the first few were set up at the archery shop by a very good dealer/tuner.

But I shot very little last couple of years. I HATE changing them unless there is obvious sign of deterioration. It is a balnced risk. It could fail while hunting I know. But changing it just before season gives me the heebee jeebees. The psychological problems I have convincing myself tuning is changing or not changing slightly as it seats in causes me to start tinkering. So, IF I have not changed it by July, I just leave it be unless failure appears imminent. A WELL STRETCHED string is my best friend.

Not saying this is suitable for all folks and all conditions. But it works for me and might for you.