PDA

View Full Version : Broadheads

treerat
09-21-2006, 08:18 PM
Well tonight was broadhead shoot night .Thought I would try all diffrent heads I have aquired over the years to see which one shoots the best . Muzzys ,slick tricks, That free sonic . Montecs G5 .,and a couple that I dont remember who makes . Now for my problem they all shot good .Still dont know which head to shoot . :? I must have my bow just right this year or those blazer vanes are helping . Remember Guys shoot those broadheads before the season starts . Some times you cant get them to fly good and you have to do some tuning . Dont wait until the night before the opener to find out you need a diffrent head . good luck this season

Outdoorsman
09-21-2006, 09:20 PM
I went out last week and did my thing. I am confident at the 30 yard range, but outside of that I wont shoot. I am seeing a bunch of small bucks the last two weeks.

carl milks
09-21-2006, 09:33 PM
All tuned in with target and broadheads. Confident out to 25 yds. Prefer if they were 5 yds- then maybe I could'nt miss!!! When I set a stand, I pace & mark 20 yds, that's the most I like to shoot anymore, then if a deer comes within my boundries.......

09-21-2006, 11:35 PM
I bleed Muzzy......

Bad To The Bone......or bust.

hunterdeneugene
09-22-2006, 12:58 PM
I shoot Scorpion XP expandables and have had nothing but fantastic results with them.

treestandtimmy
09-22-2006, 03:17 PM
MUZZY 3 BLADE 100 GR. Smacks the heck out of 'em.

ratherbhuntin
09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
I shoot G5 montecs. THey are very durable. Poked one through a coyotes spine and still pinned him to the ground and then buried one in a tree and still stayed very sharp .

firemedic3314
09-26-2006, 09:05 AM
I shoot Thunderhead 85 grain heads.....been shootin em for the last 6 yrs.....they seem to fly the best out of my set up and they do the job quite well....my motto is....Dont fix somethin that aint broke!!! So i aint a gonna mess with sucess!!

Although I do like the muzzys they is wicked too

Swanny
09-29-2006, 04:52 PM
Muzzy 4 blade 115 grain, last year they shot awsome for me, was practicing at 30 yards and consistantly hitting the center. I will not shoot a deer past 20 yds. but it was a huge confidence booster to shoot broadheads at that distance. This year I have had a little tuffer time tuning them in , but at 20 yards I am confident that I can make a clean shot. Just got done practicing and am psyched for saturday morning.

Grizzly Gary
10-05-2006, 03:32 PM
Thunderhead 100 grain for me. Have worked well. Have thought of the expandables once or twice but have heard to many stories of them not opening.

Grizzly Gary

Buckethead
10-06-2006, 10:30 AM
125 gr Wentzle woodsman. It is one scarey looking broadhead. Takes a real sharp edge with a file and can be resharpened over and over again. I was just given a bunch of cedar arrows, 10 of which contained 100 gr Del-Ma three blades. With an insert, it bumbs them up to 115 gr. I have one on my aluminum "incidental" (groundhogs, squirrels) arrow I carry in my quiver.

Wild Wind Rob
10-14-2006, 11:10 PM
Grim Reaper Razortip 85 grain.

Grizzly Gary
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Grim Reaper Razor Tips!?!? Ya gotta love those kind of names!

Grizzly Gary

walleyebuster jr.
10-26-2006, 09:35 PM
i shoot 100 grain grim reaper carbide tip expandables with a 1 and3/8th cutting diameter i am shooting easton carbon excels with hilaca fletched feathers out of a jenning carbon extreme bow with a 55pound draw and let me tell with this set up i have some devastateing knock down power i am planning a trip to west virginia next weekend i hope to get a big one :) :)

Grizzly Gary
10-28-2006, 08:07 PM
Good luck in WVA next week walleyebusterJr.! Looking forward to hearing of the hunt. Also hope you will have some pics to post here.

Grizzly Gary

zenrider
06-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I had reservations at first about mechanicals. My dealer told me to put that aside and give it a try. If your bow shoots field tips, you can just screw them in and go. I know, it sounds too good to be true. I spent several seasons still comparing field tips to Hammerheads. I finally became so confident with my results, I now tune my bow and arrows with field tips, then screw on the Hammerheads on the best shooting arrows and just go hunting. It IS that easy. They always open even at the slightest hint of a touch against anything. Just be sure to use the rubber bands they supply. Do not try to substitute those ones your kid uses on his braces.

My only complaint is that they are somewhat delicate when shooting into targets. I have bent some blades pulling them out. One strike with the ground and they are history. But, I would never trust any other type of broadhead I had shot into the gravel and rocks either. Besides, I am not supposed to be shooting into the ground anyway.

Perhaps, other mechanicals perform as well. These are the only ones I have experience with. Never had the need to try others after discovering these.

The wound channels are big enough to punch your arm through. Nothing has survived a hit from these since I started using them.