PDA

View Full Version : arrows

miket389
09-19-2007, 10:22 AM
ive used aluminum arrows for a few years now, and i was wondering how many of you still use aluminum or has mostly everyone switched to Carbon Arrows, i was thinking of giving the a try this year but don't know much about them and info would be great!

Bwanna Jim
09-19-2007, 12:39 PM
I still use Easton Gamegetters and find no reason to change now. I do however have a backup bow set up for carbons but have yet had to resort to it. You will need to set up your rest and bow for carbons though. The gang at His Way Archer's can help you with this. Great bunch down there always willing to help!!!!

Grizzly Gary
09-19-2007, 12:41 PM
I'm still using the aluminums but am also thinking of changing. I keep hearing great things about the newer carbon arrows. Plus the fact that the price has dropped to pretty much the same as the aluminums.

Always seems to be a new way to spend ones money! :lol:

Esox_Hunter
09-19-2007, 12:43 PM
I made the switch 2 years ago when I got my new used bow. Just for kicks I shot an aluminum and a carbon arrow through a chronograph at my archery shop. The difference was about 35 fps...I know that doesnt mean much. But it was the difference from having a pin for 17-18 yards and one for 25....to now having one pin good to 27yards. They have come down a good bit in price too almost as cheap as aluminums. I shoot Gold Tip expedition hunters. They are nice and durable and shoot well for me.

Chris

hunterdeneugene
09-19-2007, 12:51 PM
I too shoot the Gold Tip Expedition Hunters.

miket389
09-19-2007, 02:18 PM
the only drawback im seeing is the durability, carbons stay straight or shatter from what i understand, aluminums bend and such, i may make the switch, i may not, its getting too close to season to switch i think though so maybe next year?

treestandtimmy
09-19-2007, 03:50 PM
I still use XX75's, but I think I'm going to make the switch with a new bowtech this year.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I'm still using aluminum, never really had a reason to change. I say don't fix it if it aint broken. :wink:

PassThruArchery
09-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Well, as you can tell from the responses, a lot of folks are still shotting aluminum. I personally shoot carbons (CS Maxima's) and I love 'em.

I get this question a lot from guys at the shop where I work. I explain to everyone..it's personal choice. Now that there price has come down, there really aren't any drawbacks to carbons though. The best part about there is that they are straight or broken. No guess work, no rolling them to see if they wobble. As long as they are in one piece, they are straight.

Lots of guys are changing to them also for the reason of increased speed. Not becasue greater speed will help kill the deer, but as it was mentioned, the faster he arrow flies, the flatter the arrow flies. I have setup some bows for guys and now they are hunting with one pin, dialed in at 25 yards and they are in the boiler room on a deer from 0 to 35 yards. That sure does make life easier then the deer are coming in on you and you have to make a quick shot. No guess there. just put that pin on the shoulder and squeeze!!

Beleive me, if you switch, you won't be upset about it. However, if it ain't broke don't fix it. My reccomendation to guys is keep shooting what you have. When you are down on arrows and need to buy new anyway, make the switch at that point. No sense spending the money until you need to.

Good Luck.

zenrider
09-20-2007, 09:07 AM
I still shoot log pole alluminums. Working great so far. Few reasons I have not switched yet.

1. I can find the aluminum ones with my kid's cheap metal detector.

2. Requires I regear the bow quite a bit.

3. Bow is aging.

4. Got lot's of "skunk arrows" from shots that damaged the arrow just enough not to use for deer. We got lots of skunks.

So eventually, the Lightening will become the SKUNK BOW.

And I will buy the latest and greatest short, efficient, quiet and fast bow that feels comfortable to pull and hold.

MY RECOMMENDATION: Tell the wife how that old bow just was not made for the modern capabilities of the newer arrows and how it will cost you $$$ to set this up. At that point you may as well spend a little more and get the whole works ready to go. Practice all this in the mirror until you can say it with that concerned and determined look on your face. Or, lacking a significant other, just do it.

Tucker Time
09-20-2007, 10:21 AM
Well, as you can tell from the responses, a lot of folks are still shotting aluminum. I personally shoot carbons (CS Maxima's) and I love 'em.

I get this question a lot from guys at the shop where I work. I explain to everyone..it's personal choice. Now that there price has come down, there really aren't any drawbacks to carbons though. The best part about there is that they are straight or broken. No guess work, no rolling them to see if they wobble. As long as they are in one piece, they are straight.

Lots of guys are changing to them also for the reason of increased speed. Not becasue greater speed will help kill the deer, but as it was mentioned, the faster he arrow flies, the flatter the arrow flies. I have setup some bows for guys and now they are hunting with one pin, dialed in at 25 yards and they are in the boiler room on a deer from 0 to 35 yards. That sure does make life easier then the deer are coming in on you and you have to make a quick shot. No guess there. just put that pin on the shoulder and squeeze!!

Beleive me, if you switch, you won't be upset about it. However, if it ain't broke don't fix it. My reccomendation to guys is keep shooting what you have. When you are down on arrows and need to buy new anyway, make the switch at that point. No sense spending the money until you need to.

Good Luck.

Yup!!!

Tucker Time
09-20-2007, 10:29 AM
I'm still using the aluminums but am also thinking of changing. I keep hearing great things about the newer carbon arrows. Plus the fact that the price has dropped to pretty much the same as the aluminums.

Always seems to be a new way to spend ones money! :lol:

Maybe you can get your wife to up your allowance so you can get out of the stone ages. :lol: Just kidding big guy, nothing wrong with your set up.

I think Timmy should get the new Bowtech and you and I will show him how to shoot! :shock: :lol:

Tucker Time
09-20-2007, 10:35 AM
[quote="zenrider"]
1. I can find the aluminum ones with my kid's cheap metal detector.quote]

Stop using rubber suction cups for tips and you can find carbons with a detector too. :shock: :lol: Just a joke!

zenrider
09-20-2007, 02:52 PM
That's funny right there.. I don't care who you are..

carl milks
09-25-2007, 12:26 AM
Still using the XX75's. Cabela's had a sale on them a few yrs back & I stocked up with 3 doz. Still have quite a few left, probobly enough to last my bh career. If not, I may make the switch. I do like the concept-"they're either straight or broken" instead of bent like aluminum. :lol: