PDA

View Full Version : Celeste's "New/USED" bow (pictures)

FisherMOM
09-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Celeste and I went to the DEC in Avon, NY this past Sunday to celebrate the National
Hunting and Fishing Days. They had everything there. She fished for a while, I ate
a buffalo burger (Actually it was a sausage) and Celeste was able to try out a small
compound bow. She hit the 3-D deer target 2 out of 3 times..... and she fell in love
with it! That's my girl! I have wanted to take up archery for years now, and my
baby took the bull by the horns and did it herself!

We were getting ready to catch the shuttle bus back to our car, when I saw some
vendors we hadn't looked at. One we walked past sold all kinds of bows and arrows.
I went to the fishing tackle vendor and Celeste kept nagging me to see how much
the bows cost. FINALLY I went with her to them and we looked at the long bows.
( I guess that is what they are called) The man running the booth asked what she
could pull back. I shrugged, not knowing. He had her pull back one and it was too
tight. Then he had her pull back another, he looked content. Then he disappeared
and I saw him pulling up 3 arrows from the boxes of arrows he had for sale for $1
each.. They had no arrow tips on them, just the feathers. He handed them to her
and said... "Here ya go, now you have your FIRST bow." She was THRILLED!!!!! He
told her that next year, if she outgrows it, to come back and he'd set her up again.

We came home and she had a grand time. She was shooting at an old tomato today!
With practice, she is going to get good I think. She may never hunt... but she may
just have begun a new hobby.

I hope next year, Celeste and I can go back and tell the man how much she loves this
new hobby and how far she has come. Godfrey's Pond has an archery range/trail.
I may have to check it out for her.

PS.. The shuttle bus driver is the one who TOLD me about this event. She is a
childhood friend that I keep in contact with. If it weren't for her, I'd have not
known about it. We had a great time!

Here she is getting hooked on archery at the archery range!

http://thefishermom.com/albums/my-extra-album/1_CELESTE_AT_dec_9_22_07.jpg

http://thefishermom.com/albums/my-extra-album/CELESTE_AT_dec_9_22_07.jpg

Here is her new to her Bow and arrows

http://thefishermom.com/albums/my-extra-album/CJ_and_BOW.jpeg

here she is fishing at the DEC Pond. she was skunked!
She was too busy watching everyone else.. and kept missing her strikes.

http://thefishermom.com/albums/my-extra-album/fishing.jpeg

http://thefishermom.com/albums/my-extra-album/Fishing_at_DEC.jpg

treerat
09-25-2007, 08:51 AM
thanks for sharing the story . Kids and bows it just doesnt get any better. :lol: Oh by the way its a recurve .Make sure she is shooting the arrows with the odd colored feather out . Geet her some balloons to shoot at lots of fun :lol:

Bill J
09-25-2007, 09:04 AM
Nice pics Mom....great to see another kid get into archery...did you get any field tips to screw into those arrows?

Grizzly Gary
09-25-2007, 10:32 AM
Great to see we have a new Archerette! The smiles say it all. Celeste will be sticking the big bucks in no time. You should check around for a Christian Bowhunters Chapter in your area FisherMOM. They always have great shooting programs for the kids. You might end up with the bug yourself!

FisherMOM
09-25-2007, 01:55 PM
well David told her about the odd feather out... and no, we didn't get any tips..

Gary.. Woodland Trophies mentioned Christian Bowhunters to me too. I will definitely research that!

A recurve.. thank you! I would LOVE to shoot a bow myself. I have to control myself around her when she is shooting it, because I want to do it too. She has let me try it and oh boy... I really like it! I knew I would.

Buck Master
09-25-2007, 02:11 PM
I hope Celeste enjoys her new bow, this is a great opportunity to teach her about shooting skills, safety, and sportsmanship. :D

Bill J
09-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Mom...the reason I ask about the tips they will save those arrows from getting beat up on the tip and ruin the insert. They appear to me to be aluminum? If so on the arrow there will be 4 numbers telling dia. and thickness of the wall on the arrow. Go to a sports store that deals in archery and get the lightest field tips for those arrows as she is shooting a light poundage. These tips are used for target practice. If you do not want the tip to be pointed just file off the point and round it some. They do make blunts but I have found most of them to be heavy and used for hunting small game.

As the two of you get more involved in archery (and I hope you do) along with David, you will both want to go COMPOUND the ones you saw with wheels. They make some excellent compound bows now for youth.

FisherMOM
09-25-2007, 04:16 PM
as a matter of fact Bill... there is an archery store right here in Bergen now.
Little bitty ole Bergen got an archery store this spring! :)

I will go see him. Celeste and I have been in there a few times already.

FisherMOM
09-25-2007, 04:18 PM
HOLY COW! I just looked it up online (the archery store in Bergen) and they are my neighbors~ I thought the guy looked familiar, but couldnt put a finger on it! way cool!!

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
09-25-2007, 04:28 PM
That's alot of coincidences, sounds like you are destined to shoot bows and arrows. :D