PDA

View Full Version : Tree Stands

miket389
10-01-2007, 02:35 PM
I need to get a new stand this week and put it up in my location for the upcoming season, How many of you use Self Climbers, and how many use ladder or stationary stands, im not sure which to buy as ive always used permanant stands before, my only objection to self climbers is the bulk and carrying them in and out everytime, anybody have any suggestions?

treerat
10-01-2007, 02:57 PM
I use a summit viper (climber) 90%of the time . Its not to heavy somewhere around 20 pounds . Very comfortable and you dont have to worry about them being stolen . Once you start using a climber you wont like the other stands .
For hangons I have a Gorilla Silver back . Its a good stand also But then you have to get a way up in the tree . I use climbing sticks . Most land owners dont like the screw in steps they do damage trees . Remember to wear a safety harness if using treestands . most new stands come with one .

Esox_Hunter
10-01-2007, 03:59 PM
I also own a summit viper. It not a bad stand as treerat said it is fairly light but, im not crazy about the cable system. It doesn't have quite as much adjustment as I have seen on some other stands. Also once the coating wore off the cable it got a bit noisy. Although the stand is one of the more comfy stands you will find. My buddy has an API grand slam bowhunter and that will be my next stand I purchase after my viper kicks it. The API is similar in weight, still a 2 piece however, ease and stealth are what caught my eye with it. It uses a coated chain to go around the tree has nearly unlimited adjustment and is dead quiet. Plus it doesnt have a rail in the front...better suited for archery.

As far as lock-ons go I bought several from dicks while they were on sale...the ones that are sometimes 30 bucks. I have 3 up right now they work fine...not the most comfortable but that may be a good thing, keeps me on my toes. They do have a decent size platform. I think they are called Sentinel by the way.

Chris

treerat
10-01-2007, 07:27 PM
essox hunter they sell the coatings for those cables the coatings on the api stands chains crack also .

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
10-01-2007, 07:43 PM
I'm not too fond of climbers myself, but most guys I know use them. I just like to go out to the woods and already have my stand in a tree waiting for me. I prefer both hang-ons and ladder stands, I guess I got spoiled by the extra room in a two man ladder stand, also it's perfect for my son to go with me. Becareful if you order a stand from the Sportsmans Guide, I did awhile ago and the box that I got from them was shredded with all the bolts and ratchet straps missing. I called and had them send replacement parts but it took them two weeks to send them. Not even a coupon or anything for the trouble I had so i'll never order from them again.

Esox_Hunter
10-01-2007, 08:06 PM
Tree rat,

Where can i find some sort of replacement coating and secondly, what exactly is the stuff used to recoat it???

Thanks,
Chris

P.S. Im sure it will wear out on the API stands also just looked to be a bit more durable kinda seems like they use the same stuff they use to cover the chains on a swingset.

treerat
10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
here you go .
http://www.summitstands.com/catalog.aspx?catid=treestandreplacementparts
I would Check with a dealer first . A sporting good store up here has them

PassThruArchery
10-02-2007, 06:24 AM
I use Climbers and Hang-ons. My climber is a Summit Viper. You can't beat it for comfort. It's not all that heavy and it's pretty easy to put up even in the dark. Just take s a little practice.

For Hang-ons, I have 4 different Gorrilla stands. I just like their prices and quality. I do reccomend getting a ahng-on with a foot rest, or adding one on. It's amazing how much that really helps.

Their are pro's and con's to each, so here is why I have both. The climber is great, but you need a telephone pole type tree to use one. Meaning, there can be no cover below you on the tree, but you don't have to worry about it being stolen.

Hang-ons are great because, with a ladder or step system, you can get as high as you need too, and you can use many different types of trees, even ones with a lot of cover at the bottom. I actually prefer to find a nice thick pine tree around a bunch of white-oaks. You will be hard pressed to beat a setup like that!! They are also great because when you get to the tree, you simply climb up. So they are quicker and quieter. However, even on private land, you have to walk in each morning hoping that they are still there. I lock mine, including the steps/ladder, but that is only a deterent. If someone wants it, they will take it.

As it was stated, always use a safety harness. Good luck.