PDA

View Full Version : every pig finds a truffle now and then

doubleheader
10-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I hope I can figure out how to attach a picture, but Saturday I took a pretty nice buck. With the help of two friends we finally located the deer Sunday morning.

treestandtimmy
10-02-2007, 09:27 AM
just save the file to your puter click on the browse button below this box find the file and attatch it.

doubleheader
10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
I've tried to attach the pic with both jpg and gif extentions and it won't let me. I get a message that says those extentions aren't allowed. Any ideas?

treerat
10-02-2007, 11:20 AM
Congrats on a great buck . Heres your pics
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/treerat/deer/07PAbuck.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v180/treerat/deer/07PAbuck2.jpg
Now post some details on the hunt .like what county type of bow shot distance ect .

doubleheader
10-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Thanks again for the help posting the pictures. This buck was killed in Warren County on opening day. He was with at least 2 other does and possibly another buck. I first saw him sneaking into a thick bedding area about 60 yds out. They got to about 30 yds when two does jumped down into the thicket. This buck stood up to one of his licking branches. At that point I drew back. As he got back on all fours it was my suspicion that he was going to follow the does. I was about 25' above the deer that was now about 25 yds out. Of course I has forgot my Rangerfinder so I was just guessing the distance. I didn't have an ideal shot but I thought it's now or never. I was fortunate enough to execute the only shot I had which was essentially down though the shoulders but with the deer facing me.. I didn't however get a full pass- through. The buck then ran directly beneath my tree and frankly that was the first time I allowed myself to really look at the rack. As he got out about 40 yds I thought he started to falter and then he jumped down into some really thick stuff. I heard him thrashing around so I got out of my stand and left the area for over an hour. I was really disapointed when I realized he hadn't gone down and I had only minimal blood. I tracked this deer for over a mile, bumping him twice before I decided to let him bed for the night. I didn't get much sleep. The next day I found him dead after about 3 more hours. Finding him was pure luck, and a lot of persistance. The pictures don't really do the deer justice. He may score 140 if there is no deduction for the extra point. The mass is pretty impressive for a Warren woods buck, the inside spread is about 19.5".
Certainly my biggest buck.

Esox_Hunter
10-02-2007, 12:46 PM
Congrats on the buck definately a good one especially for those parts. Im not trying to burst your bubble but hes not 140", maybe hes got enough to get you in P&Y(125"). Dont take that the wrong way hes still a fantastic deer.

Chris

doubleheader
10-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks for the note. Hey, obviously I'd like him to score well, but it's not me saying that he's a 140 class buck. A taxidermist scored him, and came up with 136 7/8. He deducted 3 1/8th for the 5th point as an "Abnormal point" . Another guy that won a contest scoring bucks saw the rack and figured that was conservative. A 3rd guy doesn't think the 5th point should be scored, but also doesn't think it's a deduction. A 4th guy who has an officailly scored 130+ buck feels this one is a bit better than his. Me, I don't have a clue, I'm just repeating the taxidermists score and what I've been told. I guess 60 days from now we'll all find out and I'll certainly let everyone know. In the meantime good luck to everyone out there this year.

treerat
10-02-2007, 01:13 PM
great buck and even better story .please let us know the results in 60 days

Esox_Hunter
10-02-2007, 01:37 PM
Double,

I guess that picture doesn't do it much justice. I woulda guessed somewhere in 125-130. Im glad im wrong you will definately be in P&Y. As far as the abnormal points, my buddy went through that debate last year. The taxidermist that did it originally deducted the abnormal points off. It was a main frame 10 with a sticker point on the G2 and G3, but it had the same stickers on both sides. We then took it to one of those scoring things in the spring and the professional scorer completely ignored the stickers. Im not postive but I think the reason they were ignored was because they were symetrical. I would guess in your case it would be deducted. Either way, still gonna score nicely!!! Congrats again and let us know the verdict here in 2 months.

Chris

J-k
10-02-2007, 02:48 PM
that's a great BUCK. Congrats! looking forward to find out what it scored!

Outdoorsman
10-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Thats a nice buck in any ones book. You got me pumped up. Congrats !

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
10-02-2007, 04:46 PM
Nice job, congrats on such a good buck!!! :D :D

Brdnspr
10-02-2007, 06:54 PM
Nice Deer ! Haven't heard of too many people have much luck yet, including myself.
Congratulations.

treestandtimmy
10-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Congrats buddy nice buck!!

Bill J
10-02-2007, 08:16 PM
Very nice Buck there doubleheader. Glad you never gave up on that tracking job, to many would have.

Congrats on both the harvest and the find! :D

Swanny
10-02-2007, 08:34 PM
I can confirm that the picture does not do this buck justice, I saw the rack today and it is a very heavy wide rack. Congrats Fred and enjoy this fall chasing those hawg eyes on kinzua now that your all done hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grizzly Gary
10-02-2007, 09:19 PM
YOW! That is the right one there. Congratulations Doubleheader! What a tremendous buck.

I'm with Bill J., great job at both harvesting and sticking with finding that brute.

KUDOS!! Who's that strange looking guy with you? :lol:

carl milks
10-02-2007, 11:06 PM
Congrats on that DANDY buck!!!!! Also, great job on sticking with the tracking- all too many give up too easy (both rifle & bow) and lose some great deer- persistance sure paid off-GOOD JOB!!!!!!

tunadawg
10-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Congrats on a good buck. Lots of guys would have given up on the tracking but you stuck it out. A+ in my book. Enjoy those backstaps.
Tuna

woodlandtrophies
10-04-2007, 11:42 PM
What a beauty! I sure hope you're having that bad boy mounted! Breaks my heart when people just saw off the rack & tack it on there garage wall ^^ Definatly deserves to be displayed for years of bragging rights!
Good job!

turkeylad
10-07-2007, 08:55 AM
great job thats a nice buck

rattrapper
10-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Nice Buck................... rattrapper

treerat
12-18-2007, 09:20 AM
Did you get your buck Officially scored yet ?

doubleheader
12-19-2007, 08:02 AM
Had my buck scored last night at S&S Archery by Ron Worden an official Pope and Young scorer. It's official, he scored 134 1/4 net so I'm pretty excited. BTW, Ron is from Shinglehouse PA and his number is 697-7754 if you ever want to get a buck scored.
Also, S&S Archery is quite a shop. They carry Hoyt, Mathews and Darton, but can order Parker (my bow of choice) as well. They have some great closeout deals on Dartons going on; like 1/2 price. They are also sponsoring a pro shoot at the old mall in Fosterbrook in February and Ron will be there to score any bucks brought in.

So there you have it Treerat- I've got my first P&Y, and I can't wait until next year as I know of two dandy bucks in my area that are still alive.

ICDUCKS
12-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Congrats 8) on a great buck!I guess your green score was closer than those other experts thought.

treerat
12-19-2007, 10:43 AM
Congrats on Making Book :D So Ron Met you half way . Thats was very nice of him ..S&S is in Bradford correct? . Did they deduct for the extra point?

doubleheader
12-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Treerat, yes, S&S Archery is where we met at Mr. Worden's suggestion . The measuring is a pretty tedious process. Frankly I didn't watch- I couldn't. Yes, he did deduct for the 5th point, but it was a relatively short point and small deduction.
As I said before, I had no idea how the buck would score so I am happy that he made it, especially as a 9 point.