PDA

View Full Version : Good News / Bad News

PassThruArchery
10-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Well, I had an interesting hunt last night. I got to my hunting location in the afternoon yesterday, good news; I was hunting / bad news; I got in later then I wanted to because of work.
I got to one of my two stand locations, good news; there was fresh deer sign / bad news; the deer were actually there, and I busted about a dozen out from under my stand.

I approached my tree to get on stand, good news; despite the heat, I managed to not get over heated, and wasn't really sweating (yet) / bad news; the tree my stand was in had been cut down. There was logging happening lower in the hollow, but I guess they are moving up the hill, and my stand was no where to be found.

I decided to go to other stand location, good news; I have another stand in the area so i can still hunt / bad news; it's at the top of the ridge about a mile away and I'm going to sweat a lot!!

I got to my 2nd stand and climbed in, good news; I was hunting / bad news; I was soaked with sweat and afraid I wouldn't see anything.

Around 10 after 6 I turned to find a large doe, and 4 of her friends heading my way. The lead doe was favoring her shoulder, so I decided that I would take her. She didn't apprear to have been shot before, and I doubt she was hit by a car, but still she was the biggest of the 5 and she gave me a perfect shot angle (30 yards, slightly quartering away). Good news; I laid the smack down on her and she went about 30 yards before she piled up from the G5 that took out both lungs / bad news; I was up until after 1am butchering. :lol:

With the exception of loosing a tree stand, I wouldn't have changed a minute of it all. I love this archery stuff!!

Continued luck to everyone.

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
10-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Congratulations on the big doe, great story just too bad about your stand.

J-k
10-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Congrats. I would trade a deer for a stand any day.

Grizzly Gary
10-03-2007, 07:06 PM
Great story of your hunt. Congrats on the doe! The ups & downs of any hunting trip is what makes it so much fun. Just being in the woods is a win.

I love the fact your treestand got cut down! Don't mean to laugh but that is funny. Had to be quite the shock to get there and the whole darned tree was gone! :lol:

ratherbhuntin
10-03-2007, 07:09 PM
reminds of tv. i was watching summits high places one day and they got there and there tree had been blown over and there stand was buried in the ground halfway up the platform. good job on the big doe also.

Bill J
10-03-2007, 11:01 PM
Great story, good shot, congratulations.

Think I would have a nice controlled talk with the loggers.

PassThruArchery
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
Great story of your hunt. Congrats on the doe! The ups & downs of any hunting trip is what makes it so much fun. Just being in the woods is a win.

I love the fact your treestand got cut down! Don't mean to laugh but that is funny. Had to be quite the shock to get there and the whole darned tree was gone! :lol:

I'll admit, at first I was kind of mad, but when I got into the other stand, I was kind of laughing about it. It was funny that I followed the same trail that I cleared out and followed it right to this stump and big pile of sawdust. I was confused for a little bit and then I realized what happened.

And Bill J, I do plan to contact the loggers, but I don't suspect that the stand made it. The way that tree leaned and where my stand was, it was probably smashed when it came down. Such is life. That's why I buy the cheap hang-ons if they stay in the woods!! :lol: :lol: