PDA

View Full Version : PA. ARCHERY FOR BEAR. INTERESTED?

Grizzly Gary
10-03-2007, 07:38 PM
New York has an Archery Season for Bear which overlaps the Deer Archery Season. Why doesn't Pennsylvania have a similar season?

With all of the complaints about lack of deer in Penns Woods wouldn't it provide Archers an additional incentive to be in the woods. Wouldn't it also add some extra excitement to that hunting experience?

Bear populations in Penns Woods are high & healthy. Why not enhance the opportunities of Archers. Many complaints of nuisance Bears this year clearly shows that the population is strong & growing.

Would you like to see an Archery Season for Bears?

Brdnspr
10-03-2007, 08:10 PM
BLACK BEAR (WMUs 2C, 2D, 2E, 2F, 2G, 3A, 4A, 4B and 4D) Bow and Arrow only: Nov. 15-16. Only 1 bear may be taken during the license year.

Already got one.............

treerat
10-03-2007, 08:48 PM
This two day season is a pilot program. To see what kind of impact archery will have on the bear populations for three years . It will be back on the agenda for the 2009 season . Hopefully at that time they will give us a little more time .

Grizzly Gary
10-03-2007, 10:30 PM
November 14 & 15. See page 10 .

EXACTLY!!! A Wednesday & Thursday!!! Would any here consider that a season??!! How does one figure to get a feel for the interest of archers for Bear with a "Pilot Program" that takes place on a Wednesday & Thursday???

I am talking about an extended season such as New Yorks which lasts 2 full weeks.

Seems to me there is some bean counter trying to make decisions & determine seasons with no clue as to what goes on in the field. I wonder if the decision maker/makers here are hunters or just number crunchers?

Opinions?

J-k
10-04-2007, 01:13 AM
I think the decision makers are just number crunchers. They hardly listen to what hunters have to say. On state gamelands 86 last year they planted pumkins!!!!! why not plant corn!!! I asked a warden about that and he said they wanted to see what would eat the pumkins. why not plant something all animals could eat. A 2 day archery season for bears but they have a 2 week gun season for doe. That just is way to much. A heathly forest will not appear just by shooting all the deer. You must harvest your timber. Not clearcut all the time. Sorry so long winded, I could vent for days.

carl milks
10-04-2007, 09:39 AM
That pilot program they started last year and for next two yrs is a joke- usually that late in season the bears are starting to or have denned up. Then having them on weekdays when virtually no one can hunt them..... Put doe days back to 2 or 3 days AFTER buck season and increase archery bear season to ENTIRE month of October-when they are out and about eating everything in sight.

Grizzly Gary
10-09-2007, 02:59 PM
This is another thing that makes no sense to me. How can you even call this a pilot program when it is only 2 days and they are middle of the week. It's just stupid!

I hear over and over the concern that we are losing hunters. Yet this program does nothing to help. I'm in a bad mood so I just better shut up before I say something I will regret.

hunterdeneugene
10-09-2007, 03:26 PM
Almost as bad as NY opening it's duck season on a Tue......

Will_S
10-09-2007, 09:41 PM
I agree. Make it a Friday and Saturday anyhow! I just might make it out to try my luck then.

As far as losing hunters here is some good news. Last weekend our fire company sponsored its 33rd annual hunter education class. We had 70 youngsters attend and pass the hunter education class this year!! Normally between 20 - 40 is the count. For whatever reason our numbers are up and that is good to see!