PDA

View Full Version : Archery Advice Needed

Summers
10-04-2007, 07:03 AM
I recently bought a bow about 2 months ago and am getting pumped to actually get in the woods and start archery hunting. I have practiced every night i could and am now geeting confident enough that if the chance arrived i could kill a deer with a bow, but i need a little advice. I have grunt tube, rattle bag, and the "CAN" and i guess what i need to know is how often to use these calls and what certain situations wold i use one versues the other. Any advice to help a new archer would be very helpful.

carl milks
10-04-2007, 08:49 AM
As for the calling- it's best suited later on in season towards the rut. Generally when you start seeing scrapes & rubs, you can start calling to them. Personally, I've had the best luck with a grunt tube and a doe bleat call. I tried "the can" but all it seemed to do was scare deer off. I use mouth calls for grunts & bleats & they seem to work pretty well. I use them sparingly- 3-5 toots every 10-15 mins. Alternate between the two calls. As for rattling, I've had mixed reactions thru the yrs. I use real horns from an 8 pt I took yrs back. I've had bucks come charging in like they wanted to kick the crap out of me, and I've seen some (usually smaller ones) tuck their tail between their legs and take off. Like any other calling for critters- there's no absolute, but it's fun to experiment & see what they like. It varies from day to day. But again, I'd wait til a bit later when the sign starts showing. Even add a little doe estrous pee in there & you'll get some results. Good luck.

Tucker Time
10-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Summers, welcome to the wonderful world of archery. Many people will give different views on your question. A lot has to do with where you live. (What part of the country) The Can can be effective just about anywhere any time, buck or doe. I use it about every hour or so. The grunt tube can call a deer out of your range closer at different times of the year. If the buck is small becarfull not to use a mature deer call. He won't want a confrontation from a bigger deer. The rattle bag is best when the buck to doe ratio is 50/50. Deer only fight when they have to. If the land holds more doe than buck, he will just go find another doe. Nothing works all the time. Don't be afraid to try the calls because they do work. Try different calls and see what works good in your area. Good luck in the woods.

treestandtimmy
10-04-2007, 09:44 AM
good advice for summers guys.

Early season, I don't call, you should be set up in the area between bedding and feeding areas, intercepting deer on normal travel routes. The only time I call in early season is to play around with younger deer. It's fun. I try to hunt predominatly evenings until pre-rut begins.
On or around Halloween it gets fun. Scents begin to work, calling is productive and the deer are running wild.
Don't get too cariried away with all the mumbo jumbo that they try to suck you into by advertising. Stick with the basics, it's been working for many hunters for many years.
Always remember, big bucks will circle downwind of anything that is making noise.
Be a ghost

zenrider
10-04-2007, 11:36 AM
I have only ever called ONE deer in that I did not see first. I only call randomly about every 20 to 30 mins. Just a couple of grunts or bleets each time. My experience with the can has been great, except for the one time I got very nervous and when I tipped it, it sounded like I was shaking a deer by it's throat!

I usually save the calling to TURN a deer that wants to wander away. But I called a buck a couple of years ago with a single grunt on a tube. He looked immediately but seemed to go back to feeding. After 30 minutes, it looked directly at me again and kind of had that look like, "whatever happened to that other buck"? He began a slow but steady march to the bleeding stick. Yum Yum.

And ONE TIME in desperation, I tried a technique known as AGRESSIVE CALLING. I suggest you save this technique as a last resort. What you do is use a natural sound in an unnatural manner. I had three doe calls and two grunt tubes and a can. Now this is funny, but it worked. I held them all in my hands and started using them in various sequences. Steady. It sounded more like a herd of cows mooing. Eventually, I kind of kicked into a REGEE beat just for fun. I heard footsteps. I thought it was my son sneaking up on me. I just kept it up as I really did not expect to see anything at this point, just trying to give him some sound to locate me. And then that doe stepped out about 10 yards away. Walking right to me all confused. Of course I blew it. But read about agressive calling and add it to your skill set. It can work in a pinch.

The most successful doe bleet I have found to be about a half second "MUP". Quick and quiet single bleet. That is supposed to be a CONTENTMENT BLEAT according to literature and videos. It has produced the most deer of either sex for me for many years. NEVER had a deer come to those breeding bawls, "MMWWAAAAAHH". But scared a lot of younger does away with that one.

Summers
10-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Thanks for the advice that all of you have given so far. This is the reason i really enjoy this site. A person can ask a qestion an get honest answers to help out fellow hunters. Once again thanks for the input, i appreciate it.

Bwanna Jim
10-06-2007, 10:34 AM
I like to set up in staging areas where deer wait to go feed at night. Best time to find hot does as they are always ready to eat after being chased all day. Alot calmer when they have food on their minds. The bucks usally hang back a little further in the woods!

As for calling I have called alot of deer in with the can but my all time favorite is fawn distress calling. It seems to work any time of year and brings in does like lightning! Mothers instinct takes over every time :shock: Besides does bring bucks and if you can pull in a hot doe a buck will surely follow!

Hey Grizz if you need a caller I would love to decoy one in for you it is a rush for sure.Might even get it on film :wink: My success speaks for itself!

Bill J
10-07-2007, 10:14 AM
Summers....a lot of good advice posted above. Now all you need to do is see what works best for you. I have used calls and as one of the posters said "always worked best in the later season" especially when the rut is on. My only suggestion is don't over do.

Good luck to you this archery season. Will be looking forward to your picture of the Big Boy in the paper.

woodlandtrophies
10-07-2007, 08:14 PM
I use a can. It works great for taking deer off my hubbys path & to me har har! Did that to him twice last year, really fried his goat!

Summers
10-07-2007, 09:56 PM
Well i do have my eyes on very nice buck, and will be after him with the bow. Now we'll see how much he will teach me.LOL once again thanks for the great advice everyone..

phlstr119
10-09-2007, 06:42 PM
First learn to be invisible, a part of everything and yet nothing. I generally only call a few times a year when the air is crisp and the bucks are chasing hard. Whitetails are vocal, but not overly vocal. What I am trying to say is how often have you heard the deer bleat, buck grunt, ect. A little can go along way especially with rattling. If your hunting this area and you rattle often. You might have a shot at a big buck, but I would be the farm you'll chase off a few of those younger bucks who got their but kicked the night before. Best of Luck, Time will be your best teacher. :)

hunterdeneugene
10-09-2007, 06:48 PM
I am an avid rattler. I have rattled in and killed 5 bucks. Nothing huge but I have called in 5 bucks in 1 day. I have called in and killed 2 bucks with the can and my son 2 bucks. It seems I get little response from bucks I can see and grunt to, but have had bucks I didn't see come running to my grunts. What I have learned is you can never figure them out. What works today may not work tomorrow, so try a little of everything, you never know. Maybe it depends on the moon :oops:

crackshot
10-18-2007, 01:06 AM
verrrrrry helpfull!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D