PDA

View Full Version : YOUR WORST ARCHERY EXPERIENCE/SCREW-UP

Grizzly Gary
10-16-2007, 08:39 PM
3 or 4 years ago I was in my stand in the 2F section of the ANF. Got there at about 2 pm and it started snowing the 1st snow of the year. Lasted about an hour and a half and put about 2 inches of snow on the ground. It was beautiful!

Anyway,about an hour after it stopped I see 4 does about 60 yards away chasing each other and playing in the snow. Low & behold the biggest doe, SHE WAS HUGE, came right down the trail right in front of my stand and stopped 10 yards away broadside.

As she approached I drew my bow just seconds before she presented me with the ultimate perfect shot. As I went to put my eye in the peepsite all went to he##!

Here the peepsite had frozen with snow/ice whatever and I could not see through it. That doe stood there for a good 20 seconds before noticing my frantic movements due to the frozen peepsite. She then stood there for another 3 or 4 seconds before bolting.

I could not ease off my draw and clean the peep site in enough time to re-draw and take the shot.

It truly was the biggest doe I had ever seen and I COULDN'T TAKE THE SHOT!!!

Luck was with that deer that day. Ever since I look at my peep site a ton of times especially during fowl weather.

So fess up! What is your worst Archery experience/screw-up?

ratherbhuntin
10-16-2007, 09:11 PM
Was in stand maybe 2 mins one morning and watched a nice buck come down the hill searching all over for hot does but he finally disappeared about 10 mins later without giving me a shot. i sat for another 2 hours but decided to head back i lowered my bow to the ground and got on foot out of the treestand just to see this buck coming up my scent trail 10 yards away. i managed to slip back in my stand and got my bow up while he was making a rub at about 15 yards but once i got knocked up he was out to about 40 yards. He was a mainframe 8 with lots of stickers all around his base and he has tons of mass needless to say i always stand up and do a 360 scan before lowering the bow.

zenrider
10-17-2007, 07:41 AM
Well I don't know what qualifies for worst, but I sure had my share of odd experiences. One of my favorites though:

I was sneaking up the trail to where I planned to perch. A doe stepped right into the road/trail I was on. I launched and it hit way low and tipped up and stood on end, ALMOST touching the chest of the doe. She looked at the arrow. She licked the white fletchings. She peed on my arrow!! Then walked off. Other deer were following. Next doe comes and sniffs the arrow. I did not shoot. Next a 6 point comes over, licks the arrow, pees on my arrow and walks off. I did not shoot any after the first shot as I had already missed and just felt I would miss again. Got that 6 point in the rifle season.

Guess they expressed their opinion of my archery prowess. Quite humbling.

J-k
10-17-2007, 08:04 AM
I was hunting the same eight point all season long. Ijust kept missing him. I set up in one spot he would come out in another. It went all season long. With on week to go in the season i noticed him crossing a gas line, cross the road in some pines to lay down. When it was dark he would come out in the field. For a week i set up in those pines hoping to catch him. on the last day of the season i heard whack, crunch. Then i heard some people talking. I thought i heard a car accident. I got out of my stand and headed for the road. It was no car accident, it was my buck!!!! I'll never hunt near a main road again.

Striker
10-17-2007, 09:23 AM
It was 4 years ago, on the last day of archery season. The first snow of the year had fallen the night before and all was perfect. I was up in the climber on the edge of a ridge overlooking a small valley that had a paved road at the bottom of it. I had tried rattling a couple of times, but to know avail. Around 11:30 i was very cold and hungry and decided to start climbing down, neglecting the fact that i had just finished a rattling and grunting sequence and should have waited for a little bit. Well down the tree i go. When i get to about four feet off the ground i hear something coming, look up and see a real nice eight coming. He came all the way down the other side of the valley, crossed the paved road and came right up the hill to me. He stopped ten yards away staring at me as i was only four feet up the tree. He spooked and i still kick myself for climbing down way too soon after rattling. Now i sit for hours after i rattle.

Wild Wind Rob
10-17-2007, 09:20 PM
I shot at a nice buck from a sitting position in my treestand once and didn't have enough clearance for the bottom limb of my bow. I'm glad it was cold out and I had long johns, jeans, and my camo pants on. It still hurt like you wouldn't believe. :oops:

carl milks
10-27-2007, 08:24 PM
My worst/embarrasing was a few yrs ago, I got into my stand and this gorgeous 10 pointer came lumbering in to some apples at 15 yds broadside. I eased up, drew, aimed and released- only to have my bowstring catch on my grunt call that was around my neck on a lanyard and just about tear my head off!!!! The arrow went almost straight down. If that was'nt bad enough, a week later, the SAME buck came in again-same scenario-drew, aimed, released- this time to have my string catch a bulge of jacket from safety belt!!! Missed him twice. Neighbor got him 1st day rifle- 22" spread, perfect rack. Woulda looked better on MY wall!!!!

Bill J
10-27-2007, 09:42 PM
I was walking to my stand for the evening hunt when I saw a buck laying down not more than 20 yards from me if that. I always used a hip quiver so reached to get an arrow. The buck stood up broadside to me and in my haste to nock an arrow I accidentally touched the bow string with the broadhead. String and cables went flying.

Like I said before, I always used a hip quiver for hunting, even for tournament archery, and had drawn an arrow and nocked it more times than I care to count and never had that happen before. Thank God I was not hurt by the flying cables.

44 MAG
10-28-2007, 07:37 PM
Worst = First archery hunt, hit a buck in the morning.
Rains came in the afternoon and lost the blood trail.
We no longer hunt in the rain, not even if they are calling for rain.

10-29-2007, 12:27 AM
I've had many too but the worst i guess was when i had a very nice comming in like all my hopes would be.I went to grab my bow out of the bow holder{I was 20 feet up in a tree stand} and tried to watch the buck and grab my bow at the same time and dropped it! Yep, popped the cables off the wheels when it hit the ground! End of the hunt for that day! :roll: :lol:

rattrapper
10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
You should have never posted this one............ :lol:

treestandtimmy
10-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I think we should combine the two topics into one, since Grizz now has a New moment that surpasses this one.

tunadawg
11-01-2007, 08:07 PM
I picked the wrong freakin stand tonight! Hunting a cut corn field with a swamp on the bottom side and a treeline with a small patch of thick stuff on the top side. I hunted the swamp edge. Had a 6pt come in and bed 10 yards from my treestand for an hour tonight. Meanwhile a huge 10 pt comes out of the thick patch and through the treeline up top. Yes I have a stand right where he emerged from. What a great night of hunting. My heart did sink a bit when I saw him right under my other stand.
Just had to get it off my chest. I guess that's why it's called hunting.
Tuna

Bwanna Jim
11-02-2007, 06:45 AM
Worst = First archery hunt, hit a buck in the morning.
Rains came in the afternoon and lost the blood trail.
We no longer hunt in the rain, not even if they are calling for rain.

If you don't hunt in the rain you must not hunt much in this area :lol: I used to feel this way but most of the bucks I take are in the worst weather you could ever see! Can count on one hand the number of fair weather deer I've taken :!: Now when I feel the rain or big wind and hard snow on the back of my neck I slip on a game tracker string! They do work! Haven't ever tried the electronic trackers that fit inside your arrow shaft but they might work better?