PDA

View Full Version : Bucks,Bucks,and more BUCKS!

Bwanna Jim
10-18-2007, 06:38 AM
Well things are really moving now. Was a little slow during the first few days :cry: But now they are running all over. Even during this warm weather I have seen many bucks comming and going all day! Some of the same deer I watched this summer but alot of new commers! :D :D That's why I love this time of year as you never know what the next outing will bring by your stand :shock: Anyone else seen this increase in activity? Now if they would just get a little closer :arrow: :wink:

Esox_Hunter
10-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Noticed the same thing myself. Last saturday at first light I saw a spike chasing 3 does. About 30 minutes later a 6 point came flying through nose on the ground. in the evening I hunted a different area. Saw another young buck chasing. Seems like all the little guys are starting early as usual...the bigguns wont be far behind.

crackshot
10-18-2007, 12:46 PM
I havent noticed much in the way of chaseing,Ive only seen like maybe 6-7 deer in the last week, had one sleeping under my stand on monday,nice 8-10, had a doe and her little one with her. :oops: didnt get a good shot so I waited .

treerat
10-18-2007, 08:08 PM
not seeing much action at all . first week and a half of pa season was allright . but lately its been real slow . I am starting to see some buck sign . hopefully next week will be better

hunterdeneugene
10-19-2007, 08:17 AM
I am seeing an incredible amount of scrapes. At least three different scrape lines in close proximity to my stands. (One ladder I just moved to a scrape line yesterday). Seeing less buck rubs, but I think that is becausel the woods are still so thick and green.

treestandtimmy
10-20-2007, 08:58 AM
Had a doe and a fawn move through just at first light yesterday, then at 8:45 a nice little chocolate rack 8 came ten paces from my ground blind. I think the immature bucks are in motion, but the big boys are still napping. Also alot of scrapes popping up, and rubs along the sappling lines.

carl milks
10-21-2007, 09:10 AM
The deer in my area are moving all right- AFTER DARK!!! Trail cam says they are not moving til after 10PM, and done by 0600. Another prob is: they are'nt travelling from bed to food- they are bedding IN THEIR FOOD. I've only had two mornings I could hunt and both times put deer out on way in. Then in evening, nothing til way after I leave. Got several pics of some chasing going on-way after dark. Each time out, there's new sign and yesterday, I found 6 new scrapes along a log trail that were'nt there a couple days ago. As far as seiing deer- it's been very slow around here-everyone I've talked to says the same. Things will pick up. The best it yet to come.

Bwanna Jim
10-22-2007, 06:40 AM
What a diffrence a weekend makes. Sat 10-20 saw the most deer ever but all were on edge and jumpy. I figure that due to opening of turkey season and alot more presure in the woods due to more human activity?

Went spot lighting that night and found there to be less deer out :cry: Sun. 10-21 alot less activity maybe because it was hot out but that did not stop me from getting to stand early and hunting all day. You never know what you might see.Saw two shooters but out of bow range :(

Spot lighted well after 12AM and found NO deer out in any of the fields where normally they are out in droves. Maybe all the activity of the turkey opener has made them shift gears to a more nocturnal routine?? What do you all think,turkey season or warm weather, maybe both.

Come on Wilds what do you think the cause is in the change of activity is? FULL MOON comming up soon :wink: :wink:

miket389
10-22-2007, 09:51 AM
Saw quite a few deer this weekend, Sunday Afternoon i saw a deffinate shooter buck, Came within 10 Yards of my stand but by the one area i didn't have a shot :( had no clue i was there so hopefully i run across him again this season when calls work a little better

treestandtimmy
10-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Yesterday was AWESOME! Started off with a little 4 point working through the woods, I grunted him in from 60 yards and he came on a line right under the stand. Then about 8:00 I heard a buck grunting like crazy and running all over the place, caught a few glimpses through the foliage, but couldn't tell his size. Shortly after that I had a spike buck come in the same line as the first buck, he stopped to make a scrape and thrashed around some sapplings about 30 yards away, he walked through slowly, and was followed by a big mature doe without any fawns. She came right underneath the stand and I let her have it. It ended up to be a steeper angle than I would have liked, and I only caught the back lung. She expired though and my freezer will be filled with that glorious venison one more time.

Now it's time to focus on the bucks, and their movin' boys!

Oh by the way, I got it all on video too!

J-k
10-22-2007, 08:47 PM
The Bucks must be in rut only in new york! Pa, Early season was good then it just shut off. Nothing is moving till around nine at night. Mornings are bad also. Found very few rubs or scrapes. We need some cold,cold,nights to get it moving in PA.

woodlandtrophies
10-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Well I finally had some action tonight!! Nothing in the freezer though :(

As many of you know I hunt from a blind, which does make it a bit more difficult with all the "greenery" still about. Well anyway.. I got into my blind at 3:30 after hanging a couple doe pee pee sticks & tossing more sticks on the blind to brush in some more.
Well I was bored >.< so at about 4:15 I gave the can a hit. About 15 mins later I heard what sounded like a pig snort. I did my best not to giggle, looked & looked with my binocs, nothing.. so about 5 mins pass & I hit the can again, followed by a buck grunt. About 15 mins pass & again off to the side I hear another little piggy. At this point it dawns on me .. thats a BUCK!! (yeah they don't always sound like ya hear on tv folks!)
So I wait about 5 mins & hit the can again. This time off behind me I hear something stomp. Of course I am looking & looking & just cant make out any movement anywhere!! So I sit & wait.. nothing.. about 20 mins pass I hit the grunt call & within 5 mins I hear what sounds like something sneezed off to the other side! (I mimiced the sound & my husband laughed & told me it was a snort wheeze.. duh!) The bugger was circling me but I just could not find him! SO more time passes & the nice cycle stops. I start to think, well the wind was whipping around, he must have gotten wind of me & moved on. So here it is 6:15, storm is moving in, winds getting crazy, so I decide i will slowly start packing things up & I had to move my blind out. Didn't want to do that in the dark!! (Normally I find a spot & leave my blind all season, but been having a bad feeling & been seeing a lot of orange tape going up in the area, so decided to not leave it & have it stolen) So I take out the ground stakes, sit & wait a few minutes, then I took down the ceiling poles, sat for a few more minutes, still drastically searching. At this time it is nearly 6:30, so I slowly zip open the back door. I literally am half a step out the door when I hear leaves moving!!! I slowly slip back into my seat, pick up my bow & slowly creep back to peek out the window & what do I make eye contact with... A BUCK!!! I have no clue how many points he was cause the second I laid eyes on him, he bolted like a bat outta hell! I saw horns though & he was one big bodied deer!
Oh well.. figures huh? If I had sat just 15 mins more, till it was dark ( like I normally do) I would have had a nice shot! he was heading straight for one of my pee pee sticks & was at about 50 yards and closing, wind was in my favor.. gah!! Oh well! Atleast I know they are moving & starting to let a bit of their guard down ~.o
All in all was a great experience!

ratherbhuntin
10-22-2007, 08:53 PM
i found a new spot while taking my brother out for jr. doe Where i usually hunt there isn't any sign but cross the dirt road and there are scrapes and rubs every wheres. i hunted it for the first time tonight but didn't see anything. It seem likes you can't walk 30 yards without finding more rubs and scrapes and best thing is i never see anyone hunt it until rifle.

FisherMOM
10-25-2007, 11:01 PM
I have seen quite a few too this year all over. Saw one today as a matter of fact!

treerat
11-04-2007, 02:15 PM
Started seeing some young bucks chasing this last week . I think some big boys will start chasing this week . Hoping any ways I have most of this week off from work .

Grizzly Gary
11-04-2007, 05:09 PM
Now is the time!!! Them bucks are running hard! I HIGHLY recommend you put some doe in heat scent out. Try to get a local flavor if possible cause I believe it is fresher & works better.

I got my NY buck this week & it's time for you to get yours whether it be PA or NY!

Good Luck All!!!

woodlandtrophies
11-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah I went out today, sat in the god awful rain, got soaked, was freezing my butt off & what comes a walking? A BEAUTIFUL-PERFECT 8 point!!
I wandered the area dragging a rag soaked in Vanilla extract (worked boys, thanks!) & his nose was to the ground a following. Had 1 5 more yards to step for a perfect broadside shot at 25 yards & just then...
the local farmer decided it was time to hop on his tractor & spread some ^&%$@^Q
-.- bye bye Mr Buck!
-pouts-

treerat
11-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Saw three different bucks by 7am this morning . One was chasing a doe and the other two not . Had a small eight right under me .Decided he was a little smaller than I wanted . I have most of this week off from work . Plan on being in the woods a lot :D :D

treestandtimmy
11-12-2007, 09:16 AM
Their dancing like it's the whitetail prom out there right now. Saw 5 different bucks between 2 and 5 last night. 2 shooters and 3 yearlings. Running the does hardcore. 3 of the bucks came through at about 2:30 and the does were open mouth and dragging. I wish I had all week off, but Friday is going to have to be the day!!

Mighty Mike
11-12-2007, 12:08 PM
they sure are running around. i wonder what this late action will mean come saturday. might still be a bunch of dumb bucks walking stupid on opening day. hope a big stupid one walks by me.

mike

woodlandtrophies
11-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Had one HECK of a shooter come in Saturday. Let me tell ya, I decided to try something, so I purchased one of those "Buck Bombs" I hadn't set it off 5 mins. past, was still getting set up in the blind when big boy 8 pt came strolling in. But I think he knew I was there & where I was, so he walked perfectly OUT of shot at only 25 yards past me, the only shot he did offer me.. was his rear end -.-
I was calling & calling but he kept on walking. HMMPH!
He sure did get my heart pumping! I think I even pee'd myself!! Yes, he was THAT big! I drew back when I thought for sure he was gonna step into my shooting lane, first pull back, arrow fell off the rest haha Drew back again & "where did he go?!" Let down, peak around the corner OH there he is & he's coming in!! NOPE! Bugger had atleast a 20" inside spread if not more! Pretty sure hes the same one I fought with for 2 hours a week or so ago :/
Oh well there is always Saturday!