PDA

View Full Version : Mornings or Evenings??

treestandtimmy
10-18-2007, 05:00 PM
I have killed all my archery deer before noon and most before 10:00 A.M.
I've always had alot of action in the evening, but never let one fly.
Just wondering if I'm the only guy out there that should only hunt in the morning??
What are your morning vs. evening stats??

JEREMIAH JOHNSON
10-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I've gotten most of my deer in the evenings.

treerat
10-18-2007, 09:04 PM
Most have been mornings . But that has a lot to do with my work schedule . I used to kill a few in the evenings mostly does .

J-k
10-18-2007, 09:47 PM
Most of the deer i shoot has been in the mornings also. But my biggest buck was just at dark. I see alot of bucks in the mornings. I been seeing alot of 4 points this year so next year should be better.

Grizzly Gary
10-18-2007, 11:15 PM
Every Bambi Burger I have harvested has been after 4pm in the afternoon. I have had a couple of opportunities I have screwed up between 1 & 3 in the afternoon but I have only had 1 spike buck who wished to donate himself to my table during the morning.

Seems for sure I am an afternoon kind of hunter.

Bwanna Jim
10-19-2007, 07:52 AM
Well Grizz if you dragger your butt out before noon it would help your morning harvest :lol: :wink:

Most of my hunts end by noon. Mornings seem to work for me as I think the deer are looking to bed and they're not on edge as much. Just what I have observed.
However three of the biggest bucks I have taken were at or around high noon during the full moon phase!! So I look at it this way, Anytime is the right time to take a deer. As long as it is during leagle shooting hours!!

As put in the archery post you might be quitting too soon if your seeing deer while climbing out of your stand :shock: :oops: . I never leave the woods until it is too dark to shoot. Pack a lunch and spend the day enjoying what we were given!!If your not in the woods then you will never get the chance to see what you might get. Be out there and the rewards can come at ANYTIME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :wink:

Bwanna Jim
10-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Oh yes I know that the leagle shooting time is sun up till sun down and have never had to shoot after the posted time. If you all think you can shoot after the posted sun up or down time even though it is still plenty light to shoot you may end up with a hefty fine or worse. So be aware of the laws where you are hunting. Some states want you out of the woods by a certian time!! So check local game laws carefully.

hunterdeneugene
10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
I have killed deer in the morning, as late as 11:30, and in the evening. I much prefer the evening. The only thing is you have to commit to spending some time in the woods after dark. The deer I shot last night, with the gutting, dragging , tagging and loading still got me out of the woods at 7:45. I will not leave wounded deer until the morning anymore due to the coyote situation, unless I know I am going to keep pushing a poorly shot animal. During gun season I committ to all day.

Outdoorsman
10-19-2007, 10:27 AM
Mornings have been my best but, I have gotten two bucks as hunters were leaving the woods for lunch. I stay in a little longer because I have found in the areas that have alot of pressure that the hunters move them when they are leaving the woods.

One of the bucks (a nice eight point) was almost crawling when I shot him just before 1:00 pm.

treestandtimmy
10-20-2007, 09:47 AM
I should have made the question before noon or after. Looks like the A.M. slot is a big favorite though.

carl milks
10-21-2007, 10:00 AM
I'd have to say that the bulk of my bucks, especially biggest ones were shot in morning hours. Of course a lot of it depends on the stand location(s). I have over 2 doz known/producing stands- some are definite morning stands and some are definite evening stands, and a couple produce at both times. In rifle season, the bulk of my bucks have come from first lite til around 0900, but some have been taken even in the mid-day and evening too. It boils down to being in the woods- "you can't get one sitting in front of the TV"!!!!

phlstr119
10-22-2007, 06:30 PM
I like the afternoons, it's easier for me to slip in when I can see everything and leave after dark. I have taken deer in the morning, afternoon, and when the moon is full or the rut is on Miday is especailly overlooked. I think the most important factor is this: You'll not have great chances to kill anything if your on the couch. I have had several hunts that began with no more than one hour of light left in the day and have had some great short hunts. NIKE said it best: Just Do It :wink:

tunadawg
10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
I would say for me the kill ratio is 60% in the am and 40% in the pm. BUT, the two biggest bucks i've killed with the bow have been in the evening, just before dark.
The only buck I've seen so far this year while hunting has been in the evening. 8 pointer with a spread about 13 - 14 inches. Gave me tons of shot options but I decided to let him grow. If he makes it!
Tuna

10-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Shot almost all mine in the afternoon.Seems like most of the places i want to be in the mornings are impossible to get into without spooking them.I like to set up on travel zones between bedding and feeding areas in the afternoons.The best bucks usually don't make it to the fields till right at dark so you have to get back in where they travel to ambush them.Plus, they're not as nervous.The best is yet to come! :lol:

Bill J
10-23-2007, 09:38 PM
Looks like it is 50 - 50 at this point. That is about the way my archery hunting for deer went 50 - 50.

I would have thought that more would have been taken in the evening as more hunters can usually find that time of the day to get into the woods since work gets in the way in the mornings for many..

Grizzly Gary
11-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Is interesting that it is 50/50. I will be heading into the woods before light tomorrow with Treestandtimmy, Tuckertime & Smitty. Doe in heat pee will be in place. Hope to have some action.

I wonder if that 1/2 rack I missed the other day will provide another opportunity? :lol:

Treestandtimmy & Tuckertime were out this am. and saw nothing!

hunterdeneugene
11-01-2007, 05:01 PM
he may offer another opportunity, but the question is can you cash it in?

woodlandtrophies
11-01-2007, 11:43 PM
I'll admit it.. I am just not a morning person. >.< I prefer to hunt in the afternoon to evening hours. Only time you see me get up before the sun for hunting is opening day :D
The doe I shot couple years back was during shotgun & was about 3 in the afternoon. My buck last season was at about 5pm. The few morning I have hunted.. I see nothing. :/ Guess it just depends on where you hunt.
My hubby has been hunting both the am & pm. He has been seeing all the deer at night.