PDA

View Full Version : YOU STINK!!!!

Grizzly Gary
10-27-2007, 06:37 PM
We are now in the Hot of Hot time for the Archery Season. The bucks are in full rut mode and the Archery Season is at its' peak.

DO YOU STINK?!?!

What are you doing to reduce your smell in the woods? I am not talking about buying a $400 suit. I'm asking:

Do you wash your clothes in scent free soap or baking sodas?

Do you hang them outside?

Do you put them in a bag with leaves or dirt?

Do you pay no attention to any of this crap & strictly play the wind?

I for one buy the H.S. Scent Elimination System every year. www.hunterspec.com It includes:

Scent-A-Way Laundry Detergent
Scent-A-Way Deodorant
Scent-A-Way scent free soap
Scent-A-Way Fresh Earth Dryer Sheets
Scent-A-Way Spray

Am I a loon for buying this stuff? Seems to me that it works real well!

I have also washed my clothing in baking soda to take scent away.

So, please share your tips on how to eliminate scent in the woods. Do you do anything at all? Is it all a farce? Is the only thing that matters is the wind?

Bill J
10-27-2007, 11:00 PM
DO YOU STINK?!?!.....sure I stink and smoke that is why I play the wind. I feel that is the most important part for a successful hunt, I never look down wind.

I think most hunters stink whether they want to admit it or not no matter how hard they try not too. That is why they want to use a tree stand to get above the deers noses, and the higher up they can get the better off they feel they are.

Or Gary did you mean do I stink at fishing and hunting?... :lol: I stink there also. :cry: :shock:.....j/k

woodlandtrophies
10-28-2007, 01:14 AM
I smoke so not gonna waste money on scent lock hehe
I hang my hunting clothes outside, cover myself in acorn/woodsy smell cover up stuff (forget the name & its late >.<), then try & play the wind.
Apparently it works well for me cause had a buck circle me & come in, I was stepping out of my blind at this time though >.< but he never smelled me ^^
Also helps to side track them with doe in heat pee pee sticks ^^

tunadawg
10-28-2007, 07:19 AM
I too am a stickler for scent control. I wash my clothes in scent free soap and baking soda, then hang them outside. During the season they stay in a plastic bag. I shower with scent free soap and use scent free deoderant. I still pay attention to the wind as well. On the flip side, I have an uncle who never washes his hunting clothes and wears his leather work boots hunting, and still manages to kill bucks. Small ones, but he's not a trophy hunter.
Tuna

J-k
10-28-2007, 04:40 PM
I like to put my archery clothes in a bag of leaves. I spray earth scent all over my boots. But when i'm at my stand i use alot of doe urine. For a little trick my grandfather taught me is take a rag and soak it in vanilla and drag it behind you when your near your stand. He also used garlic salt! Now he just buys scents and the old days are gone but i most always use that vanilla rag it works.

10-29-2007, 01:35 AM
I don't buy the Scent lock kit or suit but i do use the laundry detergent,woodsey smell dryer sheets and hang my stuff out on the patio.Most of the time i shower before i hunt too.I also use some vanilla at times.Sometimes i use reg. doe urine when i walk in during the early season and now this time of year i also use Tinks 69 on a drag past my stand.I also try to watch the wind as i feel thats the most important.As a trapper,i'm here to tell you that i don't care what you use including the suit,they can smell you if the wind is wrong,it just depends on what they'll tolerate at that givin moment! :roll: