PDA

View Full Version : I CHOKED!!!

Grizzly Gary
10-29-2007, 01:33 PM
Went to the NY stands with TST & Tucker yesterday afternoon. Got on stand at 3. Put out the doe in heat pee. About 5:30 here comes the 1/2 rack 6 that Tucker & I had seen on Friday when we were in the double stand on the other side of the hill.

Well he walks right towards me. As he passes the last tree before I have a wide open shot I draw back. He walks right into the open but angled wrong a a second or two. Then he turs to the side and gives me a perfect shot at about 25 feet. Not yards, feet.

I MISSED!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED!!! I had him dead to rights in the peep site. I shot under him. At first I thought I thumped him as a jumped and bolted to the other side of a hemlock. I could see him and I thought he would go down any second. I figured he didn't know he was dead yet. WRONG! It gets worse.

Now he turns and comes back towards me only now he is about 25 yards out. He smells that booty and he wants some. So I knock another arrow and get ready. He presents himself and I put the peepers on him again. I let the arrow fly. I MISSED HIM AGAIN!!! It gets worse!!!

He bolts a few yards mills around a little. He is nervous now cause he knows something ain't right. But he smells that booty and he wants some. He starts back towards me AGAIN!! I go to get my last arrow and realize it popped out of the quiver and is sticking in the ground 15 feet below me. AGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Now all I can do is laugh and watch him mill around some more till he decided there was no booty there but something wasn't right. I'm sure as he walked away he must have thought that I was the worst hunter he had ever seen.

Whoooaaa is me! :lol:

Bwanna Jim
10-29-2007, 03:06 PM
Too bad Grizzly but better to miss clean than have to spend the night tracking. Can't believe you still use a peep sight!! Well you still have moonbeams in your favor for a few more days so don't give up yet :wink:

rattrapper
10-29-2007, 04:32 PM
That Sucks............ :lol: rattrapper

hunterdeneugene
10-29-2007, 04:34 PM
sounds like buck fever oh Grizzled one......don't worry, he'll be back.

treestandtimmy
10-29-2007, 04:49 PM
All I know is that as long as Grizzly is hunting in my area the deer are SAFE!
WOW! I still can't believe you told everyone a story like that.
No shame this guy.

Bill J
10-29-2007, 05:30 PM
What the hell happened to ya Grizzly, a MOON BEAM get in your eye. :wink: :lol:

treerat
10-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Ah you didnt want a half rack any ways . :D The fever is still alive and well . Think that ratherbhuntin must of wore off on ya . I will let him tell you howmany he has missed this year . Oh yea I missed a doe earlier this season . :oops:

Outdoorsman
10-29-2007, 09:20 PM
I hope you practice at shooting at that angle. Its common to miss like that, if you are not use to it. Been there, done that. I practice from my stand and its a big enough difference.

Be strong grass hopper..... :lol: . You will getem next time.

ratherbhuntin
10-29-2007, 10:06 PM
alright I will let the secret out. I watched does feed into this field every night for about 2 weeks but there are no trees to hunt from so i decide to hunt from the ground just before dark 7 doe came out so i drew back and at settled the 30 yard pin and right under the biggest doe. (i paced it later to be 36 yards) anyways they all leave the field except one fawn which runs right at me and stops at 5 feet and starts feeding again. the mother seen the fawn didnt leave so she comes back and starts feeding torward me so i knock up another arrow and she stops broadside at 10 yards and whoosh right over her back i put the arrow i have no clue how i did it but i managed. So this does fawn is still only about 6 yards from me so after missing twice i was like alright i gotta kill a deer so i aimed at the fawn and let it go and i just give it a little haircut across the brisket. so then a few days later i was in a stand and here comes a doe and a fawn. 10 yard broadside and i nick a twig and graze her back so i am 0-4.

10-30-2007, 12:55 AM
Griz!!! Yer killin me!!!! BUT, almost sounds like you broke one of the golden rules of shooting out of a tree stand especially when they're close.Did you BEND at the Waist?? Alot of people miss because of this.I draw my bow first,then bend over till i'm close to where i need to make my shot.When i talked to Chuck Adams about that,he said that most people miss their targets because of a flaw in form,not because they can't shoot or judge distances.Draw yer bow,focus on a spot and hold your bow there till your arrows hits the mark.NEVER take your eye off that mark! Follow-thru is like shooting a gun or bowling.If you don't, you'll never be consistant.Good luck! The best is yet to come!If you think you're frustrated,my son Adam is hunting out in Illinois and had 3- 160-class bucks within 50-60 yards and had no shot! :shock:

Bill J
10-30-2007, 07:12 AM
ratherbhuntin.......are you the same person I believe I saw holding a 1st place archery trophy about a month ago? :scratch: #-o :-k

I know all these happenings are not because of lack of practice.

ratherbhuntin
10-30-2007, 08:48 AM
I can shoot targets perfectly all day long i just can't shoot deer. i wasn't nervous i just rushed the shots.

rattrapper
10-30-2007, 04:12 PM
No wonder everybody lets the Grizz hunt on their property............. He don't hurt the population of deer much........... :? rattrapper

rattrapper
10-30-2007, 04:15 PM
Rather be huntin.......... Keep slingin arrows and you will eventually connect........ :) You might need some help trackin....... rattrapper

FisherMOM
10-30-2007, 04:57 PM
oh my gary.. what an awful tale!

ratherbhuntin
10-30-2007, 07:48 PM
I can't beleive it I missed again. this buck came out a little farther back than i thought they were coming from but he was feeding by me about 40 yards. He wouldn't respond to my bleats so i started grunting and he was grunting back at me but wouldn't come in fianlly he started quartering away so i decided to take the shot and whoosh right underneath him. I knew as soon as i let the arrow go that i had misjudged the distance but i have spooked this deer 4 times before so i am pretty conifdent he will be back. well here is a before pic keep looking for an after pic.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e380/tjwjr89/wildlife%20pics%2006-07/buck.jpg

carl milks
10-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Gary, if it's any consolation, "there's a lot of room around em"!!!! Better to miss completely than to wound em- you'll get another chance. Stick with em!!! :lol: Reminds me of a few yrs back when I had a bad spell like yours- I missed 4 bucks, 2 does with a bow in a week's period. Then to make me feel worse, after no more shots with the bow, I was forced to redeem myself with a rifle- only to miss the nicest 10 pointer you could ask for after grunting him in to about 20 ft!!!! A young kid shot him, I never touched him with a scoped .30-06!!!! Then later in the day I missed a decent 6 pt that ran to my neighbor who thanked me. Never touched that one either!!! Finally did get an 8 ptr, but after rueing a run like that, you start doubting yourself-BTDT!!!!!!

Bwanna Jim
10-31-2007, 07:45 AM
Hope it was buck fever. 20ft. with an 06 and you missed? Might need to get you to the range for some practice time :wink: :lol:

miket389
10-31-2007, 03:48 PM
At least you didn't hit a tree and ruin an arrow, or those expensive broadhead, theres a bright side to every dark day!

polcat
11-01-2007, 11:50 AM
Grizzly had a similar thing happen when i first started bowhunting was on the ground and a buck came out, i flung an arrrow and missed he went back off th trail and then he came back at another distance and i missed him again.Long story short he kept comming back on the trail at different distances and i shot over him or under him 6 times.That was before range finders,atleast the digitall ones. Like it has been said before better to miss completely than a bad shot and having to spend a loooong nite woundering about if yo'll find him.

Grizzly Gary
11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
6 arrows Thunderheaded and ready to go for tomorrow morning!

Thumped the Bullseye on the Bloc with miket389 as a witness. Deadnuts on the Bullseye!

It ain't the bow!!! I don't get Buckfever!! I figure I did not concentrate enough to propely place those shots. I know I rushed the second one.

As stated above I sure am glad I missed completely rather than sticking that buck in a bad spot.

Tomorrow it will be... CONCENTRATE STUPID!! CONCENTRATE!!!

I sure do hope I don't have to come here and say I missed again! :oops: :roll: :? :cry:

miket389
11-02-2007, 09:21 AM
if by bullseye you mean through the aluminum wall of the building last night then sure you really nailed it good :roll: Just kidding, if you shoot like u did last night, there shouldn't be another miss

ratherbhuntin
11-02-2007, 09:33 AM
[quote="Grizzly Gary"]6 arrows Thunderheaded and ready to go for tomorrow morning!

[/quote
6 arrows are you planning on the deer shooting back at you :lol:

doubleheader
11-02-2007, 10:27 AM
Do you practice at evalvation? Do you rehearse the shot in your stand including drawing back at all possible shot angles? Do you ranges distances in your stand? You are usiing a peep, hopefully you're not also using a kisser. Nothing wrong with a peep but you shouldn't use both. Are you possibly sneaking a peek?

polcat
11-02-2007, 11:11 AM
6 arrows

Thats probably to ward off unwanted advances coming out from stand after dark.Being covered in estrus. :lol: [/quote]