PDA

View Full Version : I hate turkeys!

11-05-2007, 01:05 AM
Never fails,every year a find hot spot for shooter buck and it seems that turkeys come and ruin my fun.As usual,Friday nite i was in my stand when a huge doe came running thru.I was getting ready for her boyfriend to come crusin thru at any moment.I heard alot of commotion to the side of me and lo and behold,about 20 turkeys! I thought that if i could at least draw before they got too close i may have a chance at a shot and revenge{yeah right}.Just as the first 2 or 3 came close enough for a shot,one of them putted and they all blew out of there AND spooked the doe.Never saw the boyfriend.So, at dusk, i heard something comming thru the leaves and hoping it was the doe and her boyfriend but alas it was the *&%$#@ turkeys again.They were about 50 yards aways and started flying up in the trees to roost for the nite.I had plans for an all day sit in that same stand in the morning for deer but since i haven't hunted turkeys at all this fall, i thought that putting the flock to bed would be an "almost sure thing".Plus, i thought i could get alittle revenge with the 12 gauge.Plus, i knew it would be over quickly whether i got one or not and i could continue my deer hunt.I was in there before 6 am and they were still roosted.At day light,some flew down over the hill,some flew to the left and some to the right.I called and got answers right away and some were comming in.I saw movement to my right and thought"here they come!"Ha! A few seconds later,i saw deer legs comming thru the tree tops{you know what i'm gonna say don't you!} Sure enough,here i sit with the 12 gauge and here comes the big doe with a 130-140 class 10 point right behind her!!! The wind was in my face, i was behind a blowdown and they were in the wide open,standing broadside at 15 yards!!!! I can't print here what i called them but.....anyway,they walked off without spooking or smelling me and i slipped out and went home and came back with my bow and decided to sit there in my stand till the end of shoooting time.At 45 minutes before dark, a huge doe came out of the same spot and i'm thinkin i'm going to get a second chance.At that moment,the turkeys showed up again to roost on that same ridge!!!! I climbed down at dark with no sighting of the buck.I HATE turkeys!!! :evil: :twisted:

treerat
11-05-2007, 11:22 AM
Yep happens every time you carry a gun in archery season . :lol: .My motto is you can shoot at turkeys with a bow . but cant shoot ole bucks with a gun during archery season . I have one week after archery to go turkey hunting and get some of those @#$%&^% squirrels too

carl milks
11-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Had that happen too many times to count!!! Been workin' on an invention just for this situation- I'm gonna call it "The 12 Guage Bow". It looks like a bow/shotgun mix, and has a selector switch to shoot arrows or shot, so no matter what your'e facing, you'll always "have the right weapon" with ya!!!! :lol: :lol:

John Lorenzo
11-05-2007, 02:40 PM
GREAT story maddog! I loved it! I can relate. Once when I was younger I was hunting down by Kinzua and just before dark a nice 6pt came in chasing 3 doe around, I was waiting for the right opportunity to draw when a small flock of turkeys came in and got between me and the deer, they just wouldn't go around the turkeys and the damn turkeys wouldn't leave the spot right in front of me! And it wasn't turkey season so I couldn't shoot one of them and to make matters worse there were two gray squirrels in the same tree as myself and they were dropping nuts on my head and I'm not kiddin, three nuts hit me in the head! What a night, although your I liked your story better! LOL

Bwanna Jim
11-05-2007, 04:21 PM
Carl that would be super if it were leagle to use. Can you have a firearm in PA. when archery hunting? You can't in NY :cry: When you make up a prototype let us know! Would like to see ya shoot both at the same time :shock: :wink:

treerat
11-05-2007, 06:02 PM
Missed two of the @#$%^@ things this afternoon . lost two arrows to boot . I hate the stupid turkeys too . :oops: Just trying to get revenge for you Mad dog

Bill J
11-05-2007, 08:37 PM
"Can you have a firearm in PA. when archery hunting?"

jim no it is illegal in Pa.

11-06-2007, 01:15 AM
Glad to hear i'm not alone.I was so ****ed :evil: I've hunted this buck for 4 weeks.Still got time.Carl,hurry up and make that weapon,i'll be happy to try it out.I still have time to kill a bird and that buck.The 12 gauge is stayin home till the buck is in the freezer.Although if we get the snow they predict,those young birds will lose their minds and head for the pine trees behind my stand.Wish i could take both weapons.I've had bears come in several times too this year but one thing about that,the deer avoid sharing the same spot at the same time, :lol: Just thought i'd vent.Any other woe is me hunts? :roll:

polcat
11-10-2007, 06:53 PM
Carl well i hate to break the news to you but that has already been invented.it's called a gunba.It's a 410 double with arrow on one side and shot shell in other.good for hundred yards,but illeagel as all get out.In our state regs.it says that your not allowed in the woods with gun and arrows at the same time.Guess thats why they call us hoopies.

treerat
11-11-2007, 11:34 AM
Time for some revenge . Get to carry the guns now that archery is over . Of coarse now I wont be able to find the little creeps .