PDA

View Full Version : fall walleyes with live bait

rookie
09-30-2006, 01:11 PM
i fish mostly kinzu or the tailwaters for walleyes in the fall. whats my best live bait to use? crawlers do not seem to work. i have heard suckers are good. those erie shiners people tell me they are good. i never caught nothing with those golden shiners. which is best. how do i hook them by the tail or in the back. should i use a bobber. i love to fish around kinzu but i seem to not catch a lot of fish. everybody says this is the best time to fish it. any help would be good.thankyou. i am a rookie fishermen and need help.

Grizzly Gary
10-01-2006, 07:25 PM
Once the Emarald Shiners come out they are my fall go to bait. I lip hook them. Use them on the Zoo and in the tailwaters. On the Zoo ya jig'em. At the tailwaters I drift them thru the current. Come November and December I let that shiner drift down till it hangs up. Which might only be 3 ft. from sure. When it starts to get dark you'll get eyes. Good luck Rookie. Some nice hawg eyes come out of the tailwaters at this time of year.

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
10-02-2006, 06:50 AM
rookie, gary gave some good ideas there and here's a few more.
On the zoo look at the bends in the river channel up north, the fish will stack there.
further south look to the steep points and sharp breaks for the fish.
Jigging is the way to go whether it's with a jig head or blade bait. Everyone will will tell you vertical is the way to go but don't be affraid to pitch and drag. We've nabbed numerous nice fish doing so.
last but not least on the ZOO, stay outa my spots!!
just kidding, you can fishem if ya clean out the whities for me.
Oh and shiners are my fav there but any crick bait will work. We've had years that the common crick chub and suckers have out fished shiners 2 to 1 or maybe even a bit more.
The river, drifting like Gary said works great. Try threading also, saves on some bait and is still effective. I know the question was about live bait, but to tell you the truth I don't carry it on the river this time of year right at dusk. Rapalas are the norm for my buddies and I and that's it in the upper part of the river. Down lower we'll use twister tails when the water situation calls for them.
Lunker eyes, just take a picture and put them back unless you plan on putting them on the wall. They ain't worth eating out of the river. Yuck, layers of red meat.

Mighty Mike
10-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Worms are still working for me. Shiners and suckers would be my choice.

Swanny
10-03-2006, 03:46 PM
I like to use a big fat chub on a floating jig head about 3 ft. from a lindy walking sinker or a no snag sinker on kinzua in the fall. Don't be afraid of trolling cranks in the fall either they will produce larger eyes, and please feel free to fish all of Hoffs spots...... I do!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Bryan Hoffner
10-03-2006, 06:22 PM
Swanny, better check that boat. it might not be floating anymore. Better stop and buy rivets and and aluma weild !!!!!

Oh new gas and gas tank also, I ran out of sugar

Grizzly Gary
10-04-2006, 12:26 PM
Swanny and Bryan, why would Swanny need new gas? I thought you guys ran your boats on beer!

Grizzly Gary

Bryan Hoffner
10-05-2006, 06:23 AM
Gary,
We use to. We both changed this spring for numerous reasons but when it gets right down to it we figured that it's better off in our coolers and then down the hatch.
Not sure why he has gone back to the gas, he went back to the stone age there. I stepped it up to pure grain alcohol. Gotta travel to get this good stuff.
Oh what a sweet smell that comes out of that exhaust now. Of course new pistons, o rings and the sort were put in yamaha 4 stroke to handle this switch. No need to add the fuel additive with stuff come winter. Nothing but the best for my hole in the water in which you pour money.

Next year might see if we can soak some fruit in the fuel tank so when we get back at the end of the day at the tournaments we can share the grain alcohol soaked fruit with all of you.

Swanny
10-06-2006, 12:43 PM
Depends on what time of year as to what fuels the boat. Summer usually is beer, late fall and winter(before freeze up ) I switch over to GLUGG.

Bryan Hoffner
10-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Swanny,
that GLUGG better stay away from my boat if you end up fishing with me at all on the lake. That stuff just ain't right. Feel the dizzies already.