PDA

View Full Version : Buck was faster than my arrow.

Outdoorsman
11-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Im tell in ya I have never been this beat.

I was at my stand from 2:00 to 5:30 and it started real slow. Just a hair after sun down. Six does came out to my left. I snorted and they seem to turn a little towards me. I snorted a few more times and then heard a snort behind them. In a few seconds the buck appeared. Two of the does went right under my stand and the others stayed in the field. I snorted again and the buck (a nice 10 point) came right at me. At about 15 yards he was broad side and I aimed and as soon as the arrow left the buck dropped and the arrow went right over its back. I mean this big boy hit the ground. He was so horney he let me get another arrow but, was gone before I could let another fly.

I love the rut. It amazes me how aggresive the bucks are. As bummed as I was, it still was a blast.

FisherMOM
11-14-2007, 07:42 AM
I bet that was a heart stopping moment! Sounds exciting with or without bagging that deer. Would have been something to get on tape!

Better luck next time OD!

Grizzly Gary
11-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Some of my misses have been more exciting than the hits! Sounds like a heart pounding hunt to me.

treestandtimmy
11-15-2007, 11:09 AM
If you never missed it wouldn't be a challenge. Lessons learned by missing are sometimes better that lucky success.

Grizzly Gary
11-21-2007, 10:23 AM
Well said TST!

Mighty Mike
11-21-2007, 04:28 PM
hey gary what happened to you always saying when the arrow flys the deer dies/ are you telling me now that even the great grizzly misses now and again. lol

mike

Grizzly Gary
11-22-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes even I have missed on occassion! :shock: :lol: Corse I blame every miss on that unseen branch, the wind, the bow, the arrow and any other excuse I can think of!!! :lol: :lol:

Isn't that what every one who misses a shot does??? :lol:

Mighty Mike
11-23-2007, 09:26 AM
it is something the way those bucks jump in front of that branch every time. heck i have had deer jump out of the way of my shotgun. lol

mike

mikeymjr23
11-23-2007, 11:52 AM
Tell ya what...that darn tree that follows me into the woods every archery season is getting on my nerves. I am going to find it, and cut it down! I have missed a few here and there, because of that tree!

Grizzly Gary
11-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Have you ever heard a deer or a tree laugh? I HAVE! They have laughed at me many times.

I to have had deer jump out of the way of both arrows and bullets. The bullet jumping really amazes me. Damn those deer are fast!!! :lol:

mikeymjr23
11-24-2007, 01:02 PM
It amazes me that deer can jump out of the way for a 1oz lead slug, traveling at a over 1000 fps, but when they get in front of a 2000 POUND truck, they are dumbstruck!
It is like they just want to taunt the hunter driving the truck! I had a massive buck elude the slug this morning. I could not believe it...I was watching 7 does, and a small spike, when he came out at about 50 yards? Idk how big he really was, but I have shot an 8pt with a 21 inch spread, and this guy was bigger! I shot, and lo and behold, that tree came back! Next time, the chainsaw comes with, and that tree gets cut down!