PDA

View Full Version : Rut behavior

coalbedbuck
12-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Just wanted to ask some of you guys who saw or harvested deer in archery What you think about the buck to doe ratio, and if you have noticed more or less rut behavior and when the rut picked up in your area.

I had A big 8 respond to grunts On Oct, 11 so well that I grunted him in twice and missed twice.....I know thats horrible. I had several small bucks respond to calling and scent, as well as the 8 I shot on Nov. 1. Earlier that afternoon I had a 3 pt chase a doe right past me grunting the whole way. It seemed in my area that the buck began seeking real hard right before Halloween when I started seeing fresh rubs abd scrapes where I hadn't found any freash sign for about a week and half to 2 weeks. I guess my question in general is what are your thoughts on the 07 rut??

treerat
12-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Seen a few small bucks chasing does the last week of the season . Saw only one good buck on the last day . He was just cruising . The week after the season ended I saw a few big ones really chasing hard . Saw lots of different scrapes during the first week of rifle season .nothing fresh but they were not there during bow season . Next season I believe should be better for rut activity . Season ends a few days latter next year :D

hunterdeneugene
12-04-2007, 09:14 AM
don't forget the second estrous period which is yet to come. I have seen bucks chasing or seeking during the late muzzleloader season. Any doe which wasn't bred during the primary rut will come into estrous 30 days later. That should be anyday.

J-k
12-04-2007, 10:04 AM
The rut was bad, seen 2 buck chasing that's it. In the area i was in there's not alot of mature buck's to compete against each other. Trail cams showed me they were generally moving after 9pm. i was able to harvest a small eight in the morning hrs, i caught him heading to his bed late. It was a terrible archery season overall. just to hot! I would like them to push back archery a few weeks and end on the saturday before buck.

treestandtimmy
12-04-2007, 10:39 AM
It was pretty active for us during the 5-10 of November, we had a few days in October where a doe must have popped, but other than that it was pretty spread out.

coalbedbuck
12-04-2007, 05:22 PM
I would like them to push back archery a few weeks and end on the saturday before buck.

I think that would be a great idea. But I spoke with a couple guys who feel we already get too much time with a bow. If they give us more rut time, I can just imagine the complaining that will start.

Also, anyone know why Thanksgiving came so early? In 08 its the 27th so the rifle opener will be Dec1, also more favorable. If Thanksgiving would have been the 29th this year we'd have had yesterdays weather to deal with.

carl milks
12-04-2007, 08:58 PM
I had a slow season- too warm, and nocturnal habits til week of Nov 5th thru end. I had bucks everywhere- all LOOKING/travelling. Only saw one doe on the 6th and she was being followed by the 7 pointer I shot. Scrapes started popping up everywhere, rubs started appearing, just on schedule from past- the week of and around Nov 4th. I did notice and see more bucks than does during the daytime that week. But my trail cam near my stand showed a ton of does being chased around at night!!!

Grizzly Gary
12-05-2007, 09:26 AM
That 1st week of November was madness. Them deer were running everywhere.

Course it was all due to moonbeams! :shock: :wink: :lol:

treestandtimmy
12-05-2007, 10:15 AM
Knock it off Grizz! :sign3: