PDA

View Full Version : Just pay for it!

treestandtimmy
10-09-2006, 11:43 AM
All I can say is that after a month of ****ing around with my bow and all the setup, I finally have it figured out. Why on God's green earth I didn't just take it to the shop I will never know. From now on that's my plan. I don't have the tools or the equipment to even think I can do an efficient job at it, but something inside me thought I could.
To everyone out there as stubborn as me :x , JUST PAY FOR IT! After being at Ravlin Hill Archery on Friday, I saw how easy those guys can do anything as far as tuning your bow. Don't be a do-it yourselfer like me, swallow your pride :oops: pay the buck so you can kill some. The good news is I'm Converted! Has anyone else been through this kind of frustration??

Grizzly Gary
10-09-2006, 03:19 PM
That will teach ya Mr. Do-it-yourselfer. I told ya when we were out cruising the country Friday that I always take my equiptment to a professional. I am not mechanically inclined nor do I have the time. I always envied you guys that could do that kind of stuff. Hell my wife built the decks on the back of our house. I went fishing! :lol:

My bow is at the shop right now and I hope to pick it up tomorrow. Then it will be 100 arrows a day till the end of the month. First of November here I come!

Grizzly Gary

darcher
10-09-2006, 06:55 PM
Your bow is ready, I shot it thru paper and got a perfect bullet hole!! You're gonna love how it shoots now.

Grizzly Gary
10-09-2006, 07:37 PM
Thanks darcher! Will be down in the morning. This is why I take my equiptment to Pros like Jewell Archery in Russell Pa.! You should do the same Treestandtimmy. But hey, that's why you got promoted to management, your a stupid bast*** !!! :lol: :lol:

Grizzly Gary

treerat
10-10-2006, 09:19 AM
I do all my own setup except replacing strings and cables .Darcher whats the cost for string and cable replaced on a Q2xl. Do you reccomend zebra strings or some other brand ? I try to replace them at least every 3years

treestandtimmy
10-10-2006, 09:43 AM
I think I'm going to have to replace my strings and cables after this season, so I'm interested in a pricing idea as well.

10-10-2006, 10:33 PM
DIY'n a bow set up aint tuff....

It's a simple mechancical device that can be learned.

Any savy bow hunter can like bein' savy on fixin' gear.

Never thought much on others sightin' in my rifles or tunin' my bows or sharpenin' my knives.....never thought much of a half sharp tool.

Half of a bow tune is fittin' it to mans shootin' style.

Noone ever is alike with a nuther.............

treestandtimmy
10-11-2006, 07:24 AM
nobody said anything about guns or knives, I can shave with my blades and hold as tight a group as anyone with my guns. And if you read my first post, I did tune my bow for myself, but my problem is finding the time and patience to do it right.
Pay attention wilds :wink: .

darcher
10-11-2006, 10:27 AM
Having been involved with tuning bows for over 25 years I can say that things have changed quite a bit since Garys bow was built and one of the new marvels of today. I have to constantly keep up to date on new setups and gear.

Strings and cables for a Q2XL, string over 70 inches, $42.99 and cable, $31.99.This includes installation, setup and a return trip to paper tune.
On the Mathews bows we use the new Zebra Hybred, unless the bow uses the Barracuda string and cable system. Both are better than the orginal Zebra system.We will put on other brands if the customer wants.

treerat
10-11-2006, 10:35 AM
Thanks Darcher . Unfortunately your shop is to far for me . I live over in potter county .Maybe If I ever need a new bow I could find your shop .

Wild Wind Rob
10-12-2006, 10:36 PM
I definitely recommend taking your bow to a shop to have it gone over. I can't count the number of bows we have seen come in the shop that were straight out dangerous to be shooting. A good shop that is genuinely interested in you as a fellow archer as well as a customer will look your setup over and let you know of any issues that need addressed for free or next to nothing.

10-12-2006, 11:44 PM
nobody said anything about guns or knives, I can shave with my blades and hold as tight a group as anyone with my guns. And if you read my first post, I did tune my bow for myself, but my problem is finding the time and patience to do it right.
Pay attention wilds :wink: .

Not gonna slight your accomplishment and your effort rates an "A"....I don't, savy givin' up on a simple thing.

To me a bow, rifle or knife is a tool...no different than a chainsaw or an axe. All meant to be kept sharp. A sharp bow relates to well tuned, a sharp rifle relates to a small group size...and a sharp knife, well you know................

Those challenged by Mechanical Aptitude should by all means take a bow to a qualified bow smith, and save themselves a broke nail or worse. Lessons should be give though, on how simple it is once you learn what the componetry does and how it does it.

My point, through my analogy of "sharp", was that a properly tuned bow is one tuned by the shooter....as he/she is the only one who can actually shoot their bow. Tuned by another is not tuned for the shooter. Same as a rifle sighted in by Joe doesn't quite hit the sweet spot for Bill. Same as my knife won't have the edge I like if you hone it....it won't be sharp.

Sharp is relative.......................................... ..............

darcher
10-13-2006, 07:59 AM
When we tune a bow, it is to the shooter. As has been said, each shooter is different. Most of the time when we set a bow up it will already be tuned to the shooter, but by no means in all cases. This is why we have the shooter shoot thru paper, then make adjustments if needed. Most people do not have the knowledge or equippment to do it themselves. Good hunting!!!

10-13-2006, 05:13 PM
Da....

You and yours rate better than most and that's easily seen.......

Lottsa shops out there not offerin' same.

A complete package includes some one-on-one time, it appears you are clued in......

treestandtimmy
10-14-2006, 10:05 AM
This whole subject was based on the time and patience I saw when I was at the archery shop. His customer wanted a couple things done to his bow, and the owner was right there with the guy watching him shoot it and making sure it was perfect for the customer. For me to do it myself is harder than the archery shop because I'm lacking the tools that he has specifically designed for bow tuning. If I had the tools I'm sure I would have spent half the time. So to clarify, If you don't have the tools or the skills JUST PAY FOR IT :D