PDA

View Full Version : deer scents

coalbedbuck
01-02-2008, 05:11 PM
Okay, I have tried literally dozens of scents over the years from curiosity, to food, to urine. What have you had your best success with?
West Wind Doe P and Doe in Estrous are 2 sexual attractants that I have had excellent results with.
I used Fitzgeralds Deer Dander for cover scent until I discovered Deer Herd in a Stick/Bottle this season. Wow, I will have a supply of that stuff for next season.
I also use Scent wafers mostly fresh earth and Fresh Earth scent killer spray.
Using these scents "properly" and hanging my clothes up outside after every hunt I was only busted once this season.

ratherbhuntin
01-02-2008, 05:53 PM
I wear a scent blocker suit and spray down with dead down wind and i have had deer ground level down wind less then 5 yards away and i have never been busted. For storage i have one of those plastic dog food containers with the foam seal on it and it works great. I have been using special golden estrous the past few years but not really much success with it so i am gonna switch to a local deer p this year.

coalbedbuck
01-02-2008, 06:22 PM
West wind is the stuff from Kane. I managed to buy a bottle right after it was delivered to a local shop.......Still yellow, not brown.

woodlandtrophies
01-02-2008, 08:02 PM
I tried several this year & the only two that brought them in were Tinks 69 & The Buck Bomb (plug ya nose on that one.. WHEW!)
Another trick that I learned from here that worked for me, was dragging a cloth with vanilla on it.
Sadly didnt connect with any deer, but saw em ^^

Grizzly Gary
01-02-2008, 09:40 PM
West Wind worked like a champ for me! Brought multiple bucks into shooting range.

I just wish I had the patience to let the little boys walk by. After taking my NY 4 point I saw a HUGE boy coming my way but since I was down out of the tree he scurried away. I could tell he was heading towards my stand.

West Wind will be my go to scent next year!

Outdoorsman
01-04-2008, 08:33 PM
Im a scent waffer die hard. I will say one thing and its common sense but the best deterent to keeping your chances up are respecting the fact that NO scent is better than wind control. Play the wind right and your odds go way up. My buddy swears he can use cover and play the wind wrong. :lol: I think he is lost.

ratherbhuntin
01-04-2008, 09:30 PM
i have never in my entire life payed any attention what so ever to the wind. i just find some deer sign and hunt. I guess i have a lot of faith in what i spend my money on.

Outdoorsman
01-04-2008, 10:21 PM
Your either realy good or realy lucky. :D If it works for you than great. I think and from my time in the woods the big boys are smart.