PDA

View Full Version : Full Moon Fishing

Bill J
10-09-2006, 10:49 PM
Do any of you like fishing the Full Moon?

This past week the Full Moon came and as usually happens a cold front came in with it. I fished Chautuaqua Saturday in hopes of showing FisherMom and her family just how great fishing can be on Chautauqua Lake, but with the cold front ( down in the lower 30's both Friday and Saturday mornings) and what I feel the dreaded "Full Moon" both boats only caught a few perch.

I have never had much luck fishing the full moon except when I fished for cat fish years ago at night.

Like to hear from the rest of you out there about your success or non-success fishing a Full Moon.

eyedoktr
10-10-2006, 06:40 AM
For many years I kept a log of all my fishing (walleye) outings. It soon became clear to me that for the full moon periods (+ and - 3 days) I caught more walleye but smaller ones. During the new moon phases (+ and - 3 days) I caught fewer but larger fish.This was over a 6-7 year time frame.

jiggingshad11
10-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I also follow the moon phase, full and new, and also the daily (2 major-2 minor phase). Over the years allowing for the weather effect at the time, I've caught more fish durning these times. I'am not a fanatic with it, but I think it works. Use it the same for hunting also. I go fishing or hunting whenever I can and let the moon phase take care of itself.

craven
10-24-2006, 07:13 PM
I have found the bite to shut down as soon as the moon comes over the mountain in plain view.

Grizzly Gary
10-25-2006, 12:49 PM
Moon phase has affected the bite according to my journal. I have had some good bites just before a full moon. As for the Solunar Table I feel you can just throw it out the window. I see no correalation in my success with the best bite times listed in that thing.

Grizzly Gary

Bill J
10-25-2006, 01:15 PM
Gary I have a GPS that gives the best times for fishing. Got my wife Cookie up at 4:30 one day to go walleye fishing up on Chautauqua. The GPS said that 6am to 8am would be excellent so with travel time and all, I needed to leave by 5am. When we caught our first Walleye at 9:30 and continued to catch fishing till noon, she told me that if I ever got out that GPS again and told her that the fish would be hitting at that (to early for her 4:30 wake up) she would smash it. I have found out that on more than one occasion those times predicted on the GPS have had nothing to do with when the fish really turn on.

By the way my GPS in still in one piece.

Tone
10-25-2006, 04:24 PM
I too fish full and new moon phases during the summer months. For quality and quantity I do most of it after dark. Trolling walleyes after dark with the moon in the sky is awsome and very very rewarding...a bit tricky but oh so rewarding.......tight lines

The Clairvoyant
12-22-2006, 12:28 AM
I like it because I can put the night vision scope on the RPG-7 and light 'em up!